Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Z3 Daytime Running Light

Hello,

I recently purchased a US spec 2002 Z3 and brought it back to Canada. The previous owner was kind enough to take the vehicle to his BMW dealer and have the DRL activated and the odometer switched to KM. The DRL worked for about a week and then ceased to function. I did notice that they seemed to be at full power rather than the 80% which is typical up here. The invoice charged an hour labor and about $5 in parts. It appears that he did a rewiring but did not replace the highbeam relay which is dicussed on this website. I looked at the wiring diagram in the Bently manual and it looks like the Canadian model is wired differently than the US.

Any help in understanding what might have gone wrong and how to repair would be much appeciated.
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2009, 04:22 PM
DO IT YOURSELF.

Mein Auto: 98 M Roadster
As I understand, activating DRLs is simply a matter of replacing the high-beam relay. There should be no re-wiring. It should also cost more than $5 for the parts.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 00 z3 m coupe
the relay is on the drivers side ...take off the plastic and there it is...costs about $85 from a US parts supplier...$185 at the local (Vancouver) dealer

not sure what will happen with the "re-wiring" that was done.

enjoy

Alan
Old 12-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: DINAN Z3 3.0,535i,MINI
Rewiring does not sound good at all. To get DRLs you simply replace the existing relay with one designed for the purpose... pure plug in. Unfortunately you'll now have to figure out what they did and correct it before getting the desired result. Are you sure that a BMW shop did it? Doesn't sound right to me.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:24 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostverloren View Post
Rewiring does not sound good at all. To get DRLs you simply replace the existing relay with one designed for the purpose... pure plug in. Unfortunately you'll now have to figure out what they did and correct it before getting the desired result. Are you sure that a BMW shop did it? Doesn't sound right to me.
The E36 cars needed wiring. Maybe they got confused with the Z3-E36.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:43 PM

Thank you to all who have replied. Although the replacement of the high beam relay seems straight forward, the only comments I've found of those with first hand experience resulted in a SRS error code. Of course it is possible that there are many who have made a successful conversion but have not posted. Also, I am still confused about why the wiring diagram in Bentley is different for the Canadian high beams than for the US.

Any suggestions/explanations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:50 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
Thank you to all who have replied. Although the replacement of the high beam relay seems straight forward, the only comments I've found of those with first hand experience resulted in a SRS error code. Of course it is possible that there are many who have made a successful conversion but have not posted. Also, I am still confused about why the wiring diagram in Bentley is different for the Canadian high beams than for the US.

On the US car you just add the DRL module. Do you have the DRL module? Do you have wiring done?

No wiring necessary.
Never heard of any fix for the SRS problem.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 00 z3 m coupe
I have personally replaced the DRL relay/module on a US spec car...and it worked flawlessly.

No SRS issues from that procedure...for other reasons, a book could be written.

If you have a problem with daytime running lights after you have switched out the DRL module ...it is likely because of the "rewiring" which was done.

If the lights work and you have a SRS light... it can be a long and winding road to solve that little beauty.

Good luck...I am assuming you want to get the car on the road in Canada and I just want to assure the wait will be worth it.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 12-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn View Post

The SRS code was an issue with 2000 model year cars only and it only occurs on certain occasions, not all 2000 Z3s get it but most do.

Since you have the bill, why don't you call the dealer who did the work and try to determine exactly what they did? It sounds like they wired the high beams as on all the time if they are running at more than 80%.

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Old 12-24-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdonald View Post
I have personally replaced the DRL relay/module on a US spec car...and it worked flawlessly.

No SRS issues from that procedure...for other reasons, a book could be written.

If you have a problem with daytime running lights after you have switched out the DRL module ...it is likely because of the "rewiring" which was done.

If the lights work and you have a SRS light... it can be a long and winding road to solve that little beauty.

Good luck...I am assuming you want to get the car on the road in Canada and I just want to assure the wait will be worth it.

Cheers,
Alan
Thank you for your message. I'm glad to hear simply replacing the high beam module worked so well. What was the year of Z3 on which you made the switch? At this point I'm not sure how I will proceed. The dealer who performed the re-wiring warranties the work for two years, so I may take it back to them next summer when I am in the area (8 hours away). For now the car is stored for the winter. The Bentley wiring diagrams continue to confuse me in that they use the same US spec relay but wired into the circuit at a different place. They show the wiring being the same for the 2000-2002 models. I suppose the Bentley diagrams may not be correct.

Thank you again for your note.