Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-24-2014, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325i
My car won't start, please help.

I have a 2003 BMW 325i, and it has about 201xxx miles on it. Recently I had troubles where I would turn the key and have to hold it for like 10 seconds before it started. Essentially there was a delay. And now the car won't start at all. The battery seems fine. All lights and the radio work. I already attempted to change the ignition switch, hoping that would solve the problem, but it didn't. It was put on properly, so I know now that the switch isn't the issue. I did take it to advanced auto before to get the battery tested and they did mention that there was a small power draw on the battery. It's been about a week now that I haven't been able to drive it, but the lights still work.
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Just because the lights & radio work doesn`t mean the battery is any good....they take virtually NO amps to operate, and AMPS (hundreds of them !) is what your car needs to operate properly.
If that battery was not subjected to a full-on stress test, there`s no way of knowing if it`s "OK"....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jusmills Send a message via Yahoo to jusmills
Mein Auto: '04 330Ci
I'm with Fast Bob here...go for the easiest fix first...your BMW is very sensitive about its battery and CCA (700+ amps). If your battery isn't outputting that, it won't start, lights and radio may come on, but it takes a lot of juice to turn the car over. I'd recommend this EverStart Maxx H8 if you're on a budget or need to get rolling fast.

2004 330Ci ZHP | Bone Stock
Old 10-24-2014, 02:09 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a shot as soon as I get the chance and give any updates.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:12 PM

Oh and if it is the battery though, wouldnt I at least hear clicking or something like that?
Old 10-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herederi View Post
Oh and if it is the battery though, wouldnt I at least hear clicking or something like that?
Maybe, maybe not....depends on how depleted the battery is.

Let`s look at this statistically....over the years, we`ve seen hundreds of guys like you come through here, with similar (if not identical) problems. In probably 95% of those cases, a replacement battery solved the problem.

I`ll take that percentage any day of the week....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-24-2014, 02:59 PM

If it helps too. My buddy was trying to jump start me and we still couldn't get it to start
Old 10-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
If it helps too. My buddy was trying to jump start me and we still couldn't get it to start
ONCE AGAIN....if a battery is too far gone, it will not take or hold a charge....continuing to use the car with a failing battery is a great way to fcuk up other things in your electrical system, adding to your repair bills....

Old 10-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
That does have meaning; and pushes away from the dead battery theory direction a bit.
If you use the correct jump starting procedure, then yes you are probably going to hear some clicking, even if your battery is kaput.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NO start procedure.pdf (526.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-25-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
That does have meaning; and pushes away from the dead battery theory direction a bit.
If you use the correct jump starting procedure, then yes you are probably going to hear some clicking, even if your battery is kaput.
exactly. I did get it tested again and it's good. So there's a very good chance it might be the starter instead.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
exactly. I did get it tested again and it's good. So there's a very good chance it might be the starter instead.
You never mentioned....is the car stick, or auto ? If stick, try bump-starting it and see what happens....

Old 10-25-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
You never mentioned....is the car stick, or auto ? If stick, try bump-starting it and see what happens....

It's automatic
Old 10-28-2014, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi
driving on interstate 325xi quits. wrecker home turns over ok, sprayed wd40 into intake no spark? fuses good, no codes for cam sensor or crank sensor?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabsg View Post
driving on interstate 325xi quits. wrecker home turns over ok, sprayed wd40 into intake no spark? fuses good, no codes for cam sensor or crank sensor?
You`re hijacking someone else`s thread. Start your own New Thread, stating your problem in the thread title.