Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-03-2013, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i + 2006 X3
+1 on cleaning the DISA. I did the CCV replacement following the OP's photos (6hrs of misery) but the idea for cleaning and checking the DISA is the fact that they will/do come apart inside the intake and slam into the piston and wreck intake valves etc. I purchased a DISA re-do kit for mine from germanautosolutions.com. The whole kit took about 15min and is money in the bank and well-spent peace of mind. If you have >50k miles - I'd suggest replcing the DISA or rebuilding BMW's flawed design. Search the forums here for information on that, ad nauseum.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Function over fashion

Mein Auto: 325xiT
I ordered a kit for the CCV job today, looking forward to getting it done! I get yellow residue inside my oil cap when it's cold out and I'm taking mostly short trips. I also have substantial oil consumption and a phantom hunting idle problem. I'm hoping this is all related to the mediocre condition of my CCV, considering the other things I've checked, cleaned, and replaced in the last year.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the difficulty since I've removed every required component except the throttle body and CCV at least once so there shouldn't be any surprises until the CCV and hoses. Which I realize are a real PITA but at least getting to that part should be quick.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post
I ordered a kit for the CCV job today, looking forward to getting it done! I get yellow residue inside my oil cap when it's cold out and I'm taking mostly short trips. I also have substantial oil consumption and a phantom hunting idle problem. I'm hoping this is all related to the mediocre condition of my CCV, considering the other things I've checked, cleaned, and replaced in the last year.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the difficulty since I've removed every required component except the throttle body and CCV at least once so there shouldn't be any surprises until the CCV and hoses. Which I realize are a real PITA but at least getting to that part should be quick.
I hope you ordered OEM parts for the CVV job. If you went for aftermarket (like I did first) you will get disappointed because they will not fit correctly.

My advise to you is that Take your time!!! and try to remove all the hoses without breaking them (if possible). If you can do this, then you will not need to guess which order you need to follow when you put all of them back.
Most of the time people get very impatient and tore all those hoses apart during the removal thinking that they don't need to spend time and then have a hard time to figure out which order they need to follow. Because there is some specific order you need to follow when you putting them back.
I took my time and remove all the hoses w/o breaking them. I returned the aftermarket crap and got the OEM ones. Tried the fittings first and made sure all of them connecting nicely and then I installed them. It was so straight forward after all.

This is one DIY that you really need to take your time... You don't want to do it twice...
Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Function over fashion

Absolutely, I intend to take my time with the CCV and hoses, etc to be sure it's all perfect... I'm optimistic about the overall time since I've done all the other stuff at least once if not several more times, so getting access to all the parts should be pretty quick. Extracting them and replacing them, well, I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best. And yep, I got the OEM parts kit from oembimmerparts.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Coupe OR Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post
And yep, I got the OEM parts kit from oembimmerparts.
Awesome. That's where I got mine as well. Those hoses will fit to each other no problem.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Who needs a kit, and wants FREE Shipping ????
info@bmwpartssource.com

121 Granite Run Drive
Lancaster PA 17601
pcasey@bmwpartssource.com
Old 04-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Function over fashion

Just did this today, and having done nearly everything before I was able to get everything off except the ccv system itself in about 15 minutes. The ccv and hoses were a pain, as expected. Cleaning and reassembly went smoothly, total job time 2.5 hours! This includes set up and putting tools away, etc which I always consider to be part of the job.

Total time spent reading and watching videos on it before starting, probably 3 hours, haha.

Last edited by 1972ford; 04-07-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Today it was my turn. Thanks Starless for your excellent photos and annotations. It was time consuming and my big hands and arms made some of the work a challenge, but it's done now. I'm hoping my 4k dip in power is gone. I'll know tonight.

My car has 91k miles and has been using more oil than I think normal, which is why I did this. I planned on replacing the lower intake boot, but I made a mistake and ordered the wrong one... did the upper one though. Both lower and upper were in good shape, so next time I'm in there I'll get to the lower one.

My ICV was really caked up with carbon and stuck. After cleaning it moves freely. My DISA was also in good shape, so I've postponed my rebuild until another time. I have new plugs and new VANOS seals yet to do... will do those next time I'm up for wrenching.

To the BMW engineer who designed this part and stuck it in the bowels of hell, I have two words for you, and the first one isn't "Thank."

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 05-24-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 325i
Changed oil seperator... Now no start?

I just went through the process of changing the oil separator, all went smooth until the initial crank. It turns over, but will not start. I rechecked (3x) all the vacuum lines and the connectors from the wire box. All seems good. For some reason it just won't start now? It attempts just fine and all seems normal.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djonesii View Post
I just went through the process of changing the oil separator, all went smooth until the initial crank. It turns over, but will not start. I rechecked (3x) all the vacuum lines and the connectors from the wire box. All seems good. For some reason it just won't start now? It attempts just fine and all seems normal.
Any codes?

Most likely you forgot to connect something. I know you said you triple-checked all the connectors, but quadruple check them one more time.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Did you pull any fuses in the process? Sure the throttle body and ICV are plugged back in all the way? There's a connector on fuel purge too - I think it's right under the intake near the front. Get your error codes read - that will probably tell you.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 05-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Coupe OR Never

Quote:
Did you remember to connect the CPS (intake cam position sensor) connector?
It connects somewhere right behind the oil filter housing. It is generally forgotten and if it is, the car will turn over but wont start...
Old 05-24-2013, 03:10 PM

I checked for codes also thinking that would help, but for some reason it reads...no codes. I have rechecked all the connections because that's what it seems like to me also. I just checked the CPS (intake cam position sensor) and it was connected. Failure on my part, I did not label the connectors as a removed them. I was thinking that they would only go back to the one they belong to because they all have offset slots that must match-up. In checking the CPS I realized that the connector for the Fuel Tank Breather Valve is the same and looks as if I may have swapped their connections. Still doesn't start, but does still crank and act like it will fire right up. Think it may have blown a fuse? Could I have another connection swapped?

I greatly appreciate all the feedback!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:58 PM

I didn't label mine.... but I tried to keep them in the vicinity of where they went. GoForthFast may have a picture that can help as this came up not too long ago with someone else. Their issue, supposedly, was a small "stick" got in the connector of the throttle body. I'll see if I can find it for you.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Coupe OR Never

Quote:
I checked for codes also thinking that would help, but for some reason it reads...no codes. I have rechecked all the connections because that's what it seems like to me also. I just checked the CPS (intake cam position sensor) and it was connected. Failure on my part, I did not label the connectors as a removed them. I was thinking that they would only go back to the one they belong to because they all have offset slots that must match-up. In checking the CPS I realized that the connector for the Fuel Tank Breather Valve is the same and looks as if I may have swapped their connections. Still doesn't start, but does still crank and act like it will fire right up. Think it may have blown a fuse? Could I have another connection swapped?

I greatly appreciate all the feedback!
Really a bad practice not to label the connectors. You could have taken the picture of them at least. I know labeling is boring. Because of that, I use black magic marker to mark all the connectors.
Anyways, try disconnecting the battery and wait for 10 minutes then connect it back up. I wonder if you somehow trigger the fuel cutoff. Just trying to help
Old 05-25-2013, 05:48 AM

Some pictures in this thread may help. The fuel purge has a "hood" on it. I think the CPS and oil pressure plugs may be the same and in the same area, maybe alternator too.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...745&highlight=

Here too: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=323335

Last edited by ahull; 05-25-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:57 PM

Here's an update. I started from step 1 all over again and went through the complete install. The picture's of the wiring box helped me verify the correct locations of the connectors (Thank You member ahull). I'm confident all is hooked up correctly. I reset the battery (pulled neg/positive off) and waited an hour. I then hooked the battery back-up, and still no start...only cranking. I can hear the fuel pump do it's thing. I checked the wire to the Crankcase Position Sensor (but had never messed with sensor or connection prior). Initially I did screw up and got two connections backwards; it was the connection for the Fuel Tank Breather Valve and Temperature Sensor (coolant I believe, it's near the Crankcase Position Sensor).

I have visually checked all notable fuses in the glove box.

I am at a loss.

Could have misconnecting two terminal ends caused a short and blown another fuse? Possibly in the engine compartment? If so, how would I diagnose this??

If it was a bad Fuel Tank Breather Valve or Temp Sensor from the cross connection I couldn't imagine it keeping the car from starting.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Coupe OR Never

That is bizarre!.. I can't see much reason why it should start even if you mixed up the wires but since it is the only hint in our hands we need to think what it could possible cause.
The connectors you are talking about the oil temp sensor/switch and the fuel tank purge valve. I don't even remember them being the same kind of connectors.
If you unplug the purge valve this shouldn't keep the engine from starting. No connection to oil temp sensor should do the same. I can't imagine how those two could prevent the engine from starting. If there is a programming in the ECM where the engine start is prevented while the oil temp is too high; this could be a reason I will say but I am not aware of anything like that.
I don't know what the ECM read for the oil temp when it is connected to the purge valve.
I would say one more thing and not sure how it would help but it wouldn't hurt at this point. Could you try starting the car with those two connectors unplugged?
Old 05-26-2013, 06:51 AM

I was going to suggest pulling the fuel pump fuse and cranking some then replacing and cranking some in case there was some "hard reset" needed for fuel pressure/valve, but that's a a bit of a wild guess.

There are fuses and relays under the hood. See these pictures - second and third row.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...ses+under+hood

fuses: http://blog.bavauto.com/5677/bmw-e46...derhood-e-box/ Doesn't say what they are for, but you could check to see if any are blown. Make sure you don't mix them up - check one at a time.

Relays: http://bmwgm5.com/E46_Relays.htm

Last edited by ahull; 05-26-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:41 PM

SUCCESS!

Thank you member ahull again.

I kept thinking this seemed like a fuse issue because of my mistake on the misconnection. I researched (link from bavauto blog) and found that the CPS was controlled by a fuse #3, but I could never determine that for sure. I decided to unplug the neg on the battery, then open the fuse box (displayed picture in the earlier posting) and is near the firewall on the drivers side. It has 4 screws, then tilts towards the finder on a hinge. Inside the fuse box there is a cluster of fuses inside 1 container (5 fuses). To remove the cluster there are 2 tabs that you press to remove. When the cluster of fuses is removed, there are 2 small tabs on the bottom that must be pressed in, then the unit slides off (also on the top there is a slit with a tab). Inside there are 5 fuses, mine was a 30 amp fuse that had blown.

Once this was replaced and reassembled...it fired right up and ran better than it had in years!

Last edited by Djonesii; 05-26-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: edit to spelling
Old 05-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Coupe OR Never

Thank you too for coming here to update us. Most new members that come here for a specific help, never bother letting us know how they ended (a very selfish behavior!..) You did the opposite

So you blew the CPS fuse. Sure with that sensor is not outputting, the car will not start. Though you mixed up the purge valve and oil temp. sensor connectors. I think that fuse #3 may have been linked to more than the CPS.

Hopefully when others read this, they will understand how important it is to label/mark the connectors during disassembly
Old 07-04-2013, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP,02 540i,06 530xiT
My turn to do the CVV this weekend. Agree with others that it was a PITA. I performed the install because my vcg started leaking after replacing just 15k miles earlier suggesting that it had blown from a malfunctioning CVV. Sludge was definitely present in the lines over winter despite daily 13 mile trips twice daily. The sludge had all cleared ( at least in the line to the vcg) by spring with warmer temps. I'm guessing the temporary sludge occlusion was enough to blow the vcg. No driveability issues other than slight loss of low end torque.

Only the hose connection to the oil separator to the intake gave me a challenge, all others came off and on without much of a fight. I ended up doubling the average install time because my car started up with a massive vacuum leak and had to redo the procedure. I forgot to plug the nipple on the new oil separator and the line to the intake manifold from the oil separator was loose. Thanks to Max at oembimmerparts for helping me trouble shoot. In the end, all old hoses were clear of sludge but brittle after 110k miles and 10 years. Hope to not have to do this procedure again.

I also found a leak in my upper intake boot while I was in there which probably contributed to my lack of low end torque. Disa was intact. ICV was dirty but didn't seem to affect idle quality.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: 330i Touring
Just registered to say thank you so much for this DIY guide! I'm in the UK and did the repair using a Meyle kit from ebay. Found it pretty tircky, hardest bit was attaching the hose that splits into a Y as the connector on my kit was very very stiff. Also had a lot of trouble getting the dipstick holder with O-ring back in as I had lots of corrosion above where the o-ring should sit. Noticed a tear in my lower intake boot that I've taped up for now but will replace next week when part arrives.

I do hope after a very long day of effort that my old consumption goes down!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325xiT Auto
Subscribed at 89k think I will tackle this in the spring
Old 02-23-2014, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i 201k
Ok I did this mod 2 days ago I replaced the valve cover gasket while I was at it. The car is running great and i took it on a drive today 100 miles or so half interstate and half open hilly country roads. Now I am getting codes p0174 and p0171 First thing I thought is vac leak so I went straight to my brothers car lot and preformed a smoke test . I could not find any leaks. I did not have these codes before and I cant find a leak and my MPGs are better than ever. I averaged 31.7mpg on my trip today which is up from 28 on average. Im stumped any ideas