Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-08-2015, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
More Brakes

I have a 2004 X3 3.0xi non-sport pkg. with 119,000k miles. Pads are getting thin, rotors are scored, and I'm hearing a squeak and light scraping sound from the front left when braking at low speed, so I guess it's time to get out the wrenches. I think I've read just about everything here about brakes on the X3 and have pretty much finalized the replacement parts I'm going to order, but my inner masochist compels me to put this out here so that everyone can once again weigh-in on this controversial topic.

The last pad & rotor job I did was on a 2000 Z3 3.0 with a 5spd. manual transmission. That car was so damned light that I was more concerned with eliminating pad dust on the wheels than worrying about stopping power. Engine braking did most of the work, and the friction brakes were mostly for the last few feet. I used Akebono Euro Ultra-Premium Ceramic brake pads, Replacement brand ("Replacement" is actually the brand name!) "OE Equivalent" solid brake rotors, and noticed very little difference in braking except for the complete absence of brake dust!

Now for the heavier X3 coupled with an automatic I'm much more concerned with quality and stopping power. On the subject of solid vs. cross-drilled / slotted rotors, I'm convinced that solid is the only way to go and that anything else is a gimmick. I'm going with Meyle solid rotors so I can feel the German-made warm and fuzzies at a reasonable price.

Pads are a more difficult choice... I could go with Akebono ceramics again, and I found good prices on both Brembo ceramics and Textar oem metallics. I'm still hung-up on that damned brake dust, so that's a black mark against the Textars. I'm a little worried about the decreased "bite" of ceramics on the heavier X3 w/ auto trans., so I dinged the ceramics. I read a couple of good reviews about Centric Posi-Quiet Premium Semi-Metallic pads which placed them somewhere between the Textars and the ceramics in both "bite" and brake dust. Sounds like a good compromise, so that's where I'm leaning.

Any thoughts on this subject out there?

Last edited by mtcarey; 10-08-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
I've got Akebono ceramics on my '05 right now. Dust is minimal, I can't compare what initial bite is like to the OEM pads because I don't think it came with them when I bought the car, but it's not bad.

I ended up using Centric C-Tek rotors. I kind of wish I went with rotors with the painted rotor hats as the rust on them doesn't look the best.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:14 AM

The Meyle rotors have something called "Geomet Anti-Rust Coating". I don't know what that is but it sounds good. For the plain rotors that I put on my Z3 I painted the hats with black engine paint. It seemed to hold-up well.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Akebono pads are a great choice. No squeaky, minimal dust and good braking power. The Wagner Thermo-Quiet is also a good replacement.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: Miata, Tracker
We have a company up here that makes brake components so I thought I'd give them a try. Drilled only coated rotors and carbon-metallic pads. Work great and undusty.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:57 PM

I almost bought a package of drilled rotors and ceramic pads made by a Canadian company called Magnum Performance Parts. Found it on eBay for around $250 complete, which seemed like an incredible deal. Only fear of the unknown stopped me.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: Miata, Tracker
I paid $400 for the set on the X3, like I said, work great and no dust, I'm lovin' it. A set will be on the 330 when it comes out in the spring

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search