Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: TN
2007 X3 110,000 miles with oil in cylinder well 3?

Pulled my coil out for cylinder three due to P0303 code reading. I was thinking simple fix just replace with new coil. I found fresh looking oil all in the bottom of the cylinder well around the plug. Searched around on the forum and found references to the Valvetronic gasket and the valve cover gasket as possible causes. I have seen the posts and videos on DIY replacement of valve cover and valvetronic gasket. The (VCG) on the 07 E83 seems to be quite a bit more complicated to do than models in the past. If the problem is just the Valvetronic gasket I may try to fix that on my own. If it is the VCG I will probably have the work done. I was thinking it could be the valvetronic gasket since the coil closes to it is the one failing and oil covered. Also no signs of leaking on the outside of valve cover or any other coil failures.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the cost to repair the VCG was when repaired.

Any success stories of cheap Valvetronic gasket repair fixing the problem?

Last edited by bwilmoth; 02-10-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
valve cover gasket leaking or valve cover is cracked. I just had my replaced a month ago, at 87K, gasket was completely solid, cracked and brittle. It was leaking in front in the back and around cylinder 3 and 4.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
job steps

to get thru to the valvetronic gasket you have to remove the engine plastic cover ....this makes it almost a no brainer to dig deeper and change both????? .....just more plastic leggo.......often the valve cover gasket will be cracked too......it's not a super tech job ....no serious fit/tolerance challenges .....just good tool craft and patience and 99% of those with the wanna will accomplish it and feel good

DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED BY ALL THE PLASTIC SCENERY COVERING YOUR ENGINE

also .....yes .....the leak you mentioned in plug hole 3 can track from the v tronic but also slip in thru the donut style gaskets across the plug areas

probably the biggest gar hole is removing the plastic pipe from the rear of the cover....the one that loops up from the crankcase vent system.....just be tender with it

get the complete kits .....including news fasteners and save yourself many many hundreds of dealer or indy bucks

the whole shebang round here would be ~ 650 bucks at the low end

Last edited by swampX3; 02-10-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: cover remove correction
Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 AM

Thanks Swampx3 & nightmareuki

Just got a quote from a few places around the Nashville, TN area.

BMW dealer $1200 low end if valve cover is cracked add $400 to that. Service rep said they are plastic and often crack.

Two other shops in the area were in the $300 to $400 range.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampX3 View Post
to get thru to the valvetronic gasket you have to remove the valve cover
Actually, the valvetronic gasket is mounted to the valve cover. You have to remove the plastic vanity cover to get to either. But, yes, do both together.

Quote:
also .....yes ..... but also slip in thru the donut style gaskets across the plug areas
^^^Most likely this is the culprit. These gaskets are under the valve cover. My VC gasket came with these donuts too

Quote:
probably the biggest gar hole is removing the plastic pipe from the rear of the cover....the one that loops up from the crankcase vent system.....just be tender with it
+1. I broke mine

(Newly christened expert (Or at least I think I am as I did my VCG yesterday. )
Old 02-10-2014, 11:19 AM

thanks dangermouse

Yea i think i am going do the vcg, valvetronic gasket, and plugs all together.
I am probably going to chicken out on this one and take it to the shop. The
three to four hour job will turn into a 24 hour weekend shot job for me.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
to get thru to the valvetronic gasket you have to remove the valve cover ....this makes it almost a no brainer to change both .....often the cover gasket will be cracked too......it's not a super tech job ....no serious fit/tolerance challenges .....just good tool craft and patience and 99% of those with the wanna will accomplish it and feel good

DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED BY ALL THE PLASTIC SCENERY COVERING YOUR ENGINE

also .....yes .....the leak you mentioned in plug hole 3 can track from the v tronic but also slip in thru the donut style gaskets across the plug areas

get the complete kits .....including news fasteners and save yourself many many hundreds of dealer or indy bucks

the whole shebang round here would be ~ 650 bucks at the low end
mine was cracked, it cost me $1100 (parts + labor) with new valve cover, plugs and coolant flush at my trusted mechanic.
Also, the bolts on the valve cover are one time use only, they have to be replaced if you take them off and try to reuse them they will snap
Old 02-10-2014, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si [e83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilmoth View Post
Yea i think i am going do the vcg, valvetronic gasket, and plugs all together.
I am probably going to chicken out on this one and take it to the shop. The
three to four hour job will turn into a 24 hour weekend shot job for me.
Its extremely easy to do it if you remove the air-filter housing that rest below the wiper-blades. Gives you much needed access to the torx bolts towards the back of the engine AND the dreadful breather-hose in the back.
I changed out the valvetronix & valve cover gasket myself (separate times though) and the hardest part was simply removing that breather-hose. The rest was a breeze!

@ $300-400 doesn't sound bad, does that include parts & labor?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:18 PM

thanks cagui

that was parts and labor for just the vcg.
the valvetronic gasket and plugs will add
cost to that.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si [e83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilmoth View Post
that was parts and labor for just the vcg.
the valvetronic gasket and plugs will add
cost to that.
If you can foot the bill then have it done locally for peace-of-mind assuming they guarantee their work.
The valvetronic gasket itself cost around $30-40. Plugs vary.

Personally, I like to get my hands dirty on my vehicle.

Last edited by cagui1223; 02-11-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:55 PM

Now your making me like a woosy. :-)
Old 03-18-2014, 10:42 AM

Repair complete

Got my local mechanic with a good reputation to change the valve cover gasket, valvetronic gasket, one coil, and plugs for around $560. The quote just for the valve cover gasket repair from BMW was $1200. They did a great job and she is running better than before the issue
occurred.