Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: Mitsubishi
X3 '06 vs '09 Ride

Hello again

I am still happy with the wife X3 '06; she is even happier. Quick question/observation
Before we made the decision for the '06 with 23K miles we also drove another '06 with 33K, we opted for Xenon lights vs. the winter package. During the test drive both cars felt pretty much the same even when ours came with the Turanzas tires and the other one had the Pirellis. I know the differences on both tire models and I know the Pirelli STRs are much better according to people on the web (bimmerfest)
Anyway, the dealer had to check the windshield on the X3 and I got a loaner 09 with the STRs on it. I know the 07 and later have the bigger output engine and 6speed tranny. Is the suspension different on these two models? Or it is just the better tires that give a better ride. I cannot believe how good it felt on the 09 while driving. It felt like a totally different car and not as stiff/bouncy as mine. Please illustrate me.

Thanks

Figman
Ads by Google
Old 12-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
8^) -- there I illustrated you.

As far as illuminating you -- I would def say its the suspension. Tires make a diff -- especially proper (lower) inflation pressure, and the scorpians are great for the ride especially in 17inch guise. However the suspension in the 07, 08, 09 cars is softer than prior years. Go drive an 04 and you`ll see your 06 is way better than that. Much has been writtin about this in the press and on the forums.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
The 2007s were softened yet again.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
The 2007s were softened yet again.
That sounds like a boring drive to me

So my guess is, if I want to be happy with a '07+, I would need the sport pkg to be at least equivalent to my '06 without sport pkg
Old 12-10-2009, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BMWX3 View Post
TSo my guess is, if I want to be happy with a '07+, I would need the sport pkg to be at least equivalent to my '06 without sport pkg
Might still be apples and oranges.
The "facelifted" model just feels different, or less spartan, in some greater way- so you might not achieve the pre-'07 ride just through having the sport pkg.

The reduction in "harshness" from '04 to '05/'06 pales in comparison, to the extent that some find it hard to detect.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BMWX3 View Post
That sounds like a boring drive to me

So my guess is, if I want to be happy with a '07+, I would need the sport pkg to be at least equivalent to my '06 without sport pkg
Well, from what I was able to discern, there isn't any real loss of stability when cornering at moderate speeds. I was concerned that given the 2008 loaner's compliant ride on the highway, that it would wallow in the corners. I took a couple corners briskly (about 7/10ths driving, what most people have the confidence to do) and found no discernible drawback in body roll. Now, I'm sure that if I drove at my definition of "sportingly" , I'd find the non-sport 2007 too soft. And like I reported before, I did a test drove of a 2007 M sport model and i found the suspension just right.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 PM

Bought an 06 M with 12,000 miles in Sept. Bought without driving and love it. Am ignoring the Infiniti M45 in driveway. What tires complement the handling the best?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
The "facelifted" model just feels different, or less spartan, in some greater way- so you might not achieve the pre-'07 ride just through having the sport pkg.

The reduction in "harshness" from '04 to '05/'06 pales in comparison, to the extent that some find it hard to detect.
Goodness. Maybe I have a throwback because I cannot imagine a harsher, bouncier, less comfortable ride than what I have.

It's amazing they sold any '04s....must have been many hard core buyers.

I wish I knew what they did to soften the ride so I could see if I have the old stuff.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:31 AM
Bleed blue and white

Send a message via Yahoo to T1T2GRE
Mein Auto: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
Goodness. Maybe I have a throwback because I cannot imagine a harsher, bouncier, less comfortable ride than what I have.

It's amazing they sold any '04s....must have been many hard core buyers.

I wish I knew what they did to soften the ride so I could see if I have the old stuff.
...aaaand another useless post by the resident whiner.

FWIW, my '09 has a much nicer/softer suspension than the '07. Neither is a sport package. The only difference (both have/had Pirellis) is that my '09 has 17s instead of 18s. I can't imagine that wheels alone made THIS MUCH of a difference. It feels like the whole suspension has been improved.

PPXYZ - if you want a soft ride, go buy a GM that'll float all over the place and have steering wheel slop worse than an 18 wheeler.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
yeah thats it PeePee. They took your 09 X3 and put the 04 suspension in it. Seriously. Those whacky elves at Magna Steyr do that every 50,000 vehicles or so -- just to entertain themselves. I am begging you to go out and buy a Lexus so we dont have to read your drivel.

As regards the rest of the remarks on this thread -- it is possible to make the ride more compliant yet not compromise the handling. It is called chassis and suspension tuning. It is what BMW does better than everyone else. So while the 07 and later X3`s are more comfortable, they still handle like bimmers. You dont need the sport package to benefit from BMW`s efforts -- in fact there are those who argue that the SPort/M package degrades the ride handling formula in the X3. I thnk its a matter of taste. But I love the way my non-sport X3 drives and although I`d rather have the 18 inch style 205`s just for looks, I trust the 17 inch formula that the engineers chose and believe it is the best size for this vehicle with the scorpians.

T1T2GRE -- I do think its the wheels and tires that make the diff. I recently increased the psi in my tires to stop the TPWS from barking in the winter. It definitely made a difference in ride compliance. But for whatever reason I think the car does respond to wheel/tire differences in a noticeable way...

Last edited by cubed; 12-11-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2011 335i Vert
interesting discussion.

We have an '06 sport with 18" wheels and Pilot Sport tires. Maybe a bit harsh on huge speed bumps, but overall a great ride. My wife agrees. Never a complaint over the ride.

2011 335i Convertible M-Sport - Silver - Saddle
2007 550i Sport - White - Tan
Old 12-11-2009, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Interesting. I just replaced my old 18" Scorpions with the Pilot Sport Plus and found them a great improvement. I have about 1K miles on the new rubber now and was very surprised that the former harsh, jolting, awful ride over rough pavement has been moderated somewhat and is not quite as bad now. As a card carrying "ride hater" I am delighted with this improvement, however slight. I also like the handling, which I am surprised is even better now with the Michelins. Time will tell how they wear (the Scorpions did 49K miles) but right now I am very happy.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Bleed blue and white

Send a message via Yahoo to T1T2GRE
Mein Auto: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonga View Post
interesting discussion.

We have an '06 sport with 18" wheels and Pilot Sport tires. Maybe a bit harsh on huge speed bumps, but overall a great ride. My wife agrees. Never a complaint over the ride.
Yep. This kind of goes back to what Cubed was saying. I did change the tires on my '07 (it had the 18s) and just that alone made a huge difference from stock. I hope when I change the rubber on the 17s on my '09 it won't be too mushy.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post

When I was buying the car, I test drove at least 4 of them, 1 of them was 04 other three were 05s, the difference in suspension was immediately noticeable not just between 04 and 05 but among the 05s too, one of them was pretty much same as 04 while other two were noticeably softer.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)