Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: TBD
xDrive 35d check engine light coming on repeatedly - anyone with similar experience?

I took delivery of an xDrive 35d in June. Driven it about 7k miles, no problems. Then one day, the check engine light came on. Brought in in for service, picked up the next day. Drove about 80 miles before the light came on again. Dealer did some work (unsure what) and the light came on again. They said they needed to change some sensor which needed to be air freighted. The shipment arrived but it was the wrong part, so they had to wait another couple of days for the part to show up. Installed it, test drove it, and guess what, the light came on again.

The dealer said they were "back at square one" which I interpret to mean they don't really know what is going on.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can anyone share insights as to what is really going on?
Ads by Google
Old 12-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovmac View Post
can anyone share insights as to what is really going on?
Not without knowing the code(s) that are being thrown. Some of the auto parts places, like Autozone, will read the OBD-II codes for free. Take it there the next time you have a CEL and get the exact codes. Do not let them erase the codes, as the dealer will need them.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Yes, please!

Mein Auto: 318ti Clubsport
There's a good thread on this here. I've got an appt tomorrow for my CEL.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
...Has anyone had a similar experience or can anyone share insights as to what is really going on?
My engine light came on a few days ago. I have an appointment for service Wed AM. In the interim I checked the DTC code P007B which roughly translates to a TurboCharger Inter-cooler Air Temp. Sensor problem. Unfortunately there are three temp sensors in that general vicinity on a 35d:
* Air Temp Sensor part # 13627812741
* Air Temp Sensor part # 13627811913
* Exhaust Temp Sensor part # 13628506995

BTW there have been three confirmed replacements of an "Air Temp. Sensor" on a 35d But we haven't collected the info to see if it is the same one. It would be interesting to hear which of these sensors was replaced by your dealer. It should be on your paperwork.

Thanks in Advance - Funf Dreisig

p.s. I know these sensors are being replaced under warranty at no cost. But every report of a sensor replacement so far has included a delay for sourcing the part. Craig B waited several months to get the right part! So I'm still curious to see if there is a pattern of failure that would help 35d owners get the correct part(s) STOCKED by the dealer's parts dept..

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 12-13-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
I took delivery of an xDrive 35d in June. Driven it about 7k miles, no problems. Then one day, the check engine light came on. Brought in in for service, picked up the next day. Drove about 80 miles before the light came on again. Dealer did some work (unsure what) and the light came on again. They said they needed to change some sensor which needed to be air freighted. The shipment arrived but it was the wrong part, so they had to wait another couple of days for the part to show up. Installed it, test drove it, and guess what, the light came on again.

The dealer said they were "back at square one" which I interpret to mean they don't really know what is going on.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can anyone share insights as to what is really going on?
Yes, I would bet on the air temp sensor. I had the same problem with mine and it took 3 months for the part to arrive. I drove around for 3 months with a check engine light. The parts supply is unacceptable in my opinion. I also waited 5 weeks for a heated fuel filter. I had to call BMWNA both times to get the parts shipped to my local dealer.

Let us know what they find...

Craig
Old 12-14-2009, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: '09 X5 35d
I had exhaust sensor give me check engine light too. Took my 35d to the dealer and they had to order the part from Germany. Took about 3 weeks. Got a call from them last week that the part arrived. Installed it next day. So far the light came on again for a couple of hours then disappeared and haven't seen it since. The refilled the urea tank for me too.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberangel View Post
I had exhaust sensor give me check engine light too. Took my 35d to the dealer and they had to order the part from Germany. Took about 3 weeks. Got a call from them last week that the part arrived. Installed it next day. So far the light came on again for a couple of hours then disappeared and haven't seen it since. The refilled the urea tank for me too.
Please check the paper work and see if any of these parts were replaced...

Thanks in advance - Funf Dreisig
Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf Dreisig View Post
Please check the paper work and see if any of these parts were replaced...

Thanks in advance - Funf Dreisig
I will try to find the paperwork. Hopefully I didn't throw it away. Will post once/if I find it.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:19 PM

Found the paperwork. This is what it says:
CAUSE: Active/passive reservoir, SCR with mounting leaking.
16-19-7-244-138 Removed and installed SCR container
16-19-7-244-137 Supply module
07-12-9-952-104 Hose clamp
07-12-9-952-107 Hose clamp
Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberangel View Post
Found the paperwork. This is what it says:
CAUSE: Active/passive reservoir, SCR with mounting leaking.
16-19-7-244-138 Removed and installed SCR container
16-19-7-244-137 Supply module
07-12-9-952-104 Hose clamp
07-12-9-952-107 Hose clamp
Thanks for taking the time to find the paper work and pot it!

For those interested the keys parts in this list are shown in this RealOEM diagram. They are the 'active SCR container' for the exhaust fluid (AKA the active Urea or AdBlue reservoir) and the 'filler tube with filler opening'. These are pricey parts (all up, approx. $2000 retail) and MAY contain a "sensor" but they are NOT in and of themselves specifically a "sensor".

Note: on the Xoutpost.com forum a 35d owner reported today that his dealer said he had an "exhaust fluid sensor problem".

Funf Dreisig
Old 12-15-2009, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
We have been having similar problems on our '09 ML320 Bluetec.

We are on our 4th CEL in the short 7 months that we've had it. Since the technology is shared between MB and BMW (and GM), I thought that this might be relevant. I'm also very concerned since our X5 should be here in a few weeks.

The first and second CEL was due to a "sensor" with the Adblue that they identified and replaced.

We had some brutal cold the last week and the CEL re-appeared. They suggested that it could have been due to one of the Adblue lines or pump freezing. It became more complicated when they informed us that there was an associated software update coming....but it wouldn't be until mid-January. In my mind, this tells me that they have no idea what the real issue is....but they are aware that there is a problem and are trying to figure it out.

I am now very concerned to hear that there may be a fundamental issue with the Adblue technology that is being shared. I hope this is sorted out in the near future or we may re-consider our incoming X5 diesel.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 12-16-2009, 03:07 AM

Part # 13-62-7-812-741 Temperature Sensor

That's the part that took 3 months.

I drove around with a check engine light for 3 months waiting on this part. I had to get BMWNA involved.

Craig
Old 02-04-2010, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: X5
We are US military stationed in Germany and received delivery of a 2009 X5 3.5d in mid-Sept. By the first part of November the check engine light came on. The truck has been to the local German dealership 3 times so far, first time (NOV) they just reset the light and it came back on the next day; second time (DEC) they ordered some parts, reset the light and it came on the next day; third time (mid-JAN) they told us they repaired a problem in the exhaust system (valve), reset the light and it came back on the next day. It is now early FEB and we are awaiting a call back for a date to take the truck back in. Appears to be a systemic problem and we are experiencing the same level of frustration with BMW responsiveness. Does anyone have a good contact at BMWNA above the standard customer service reps.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 Coupe
Just got the CEL on a less than 2 weeks old 2010 35d. The dealer is clueless so far.
Looks like BMW might want to start focusing on quality amongst its other priorities.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
A good idea for anyone is to KEEP THE PAPERWORK from your dealer visits and don't throw it away. The dealer has the info on what was done on their computer but you don't, and you may need to have a record somewhere down the line.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by minerlb47 View Post
We are US military stationed in Germany and received delivery of a 2009 X5 3.5d in mid-Sept. By the first part of November the check engine light came on. The truck has been to the local German dealership 3 times so far, first time (NOV) they just reset the light and it came back on the next day; second time (DEC) they ordered some parts, reset the light and it came on the next day; third time (mid-JAN) they told us they repaired a problem in the exhaust system (valve), reset the light and it came back on the next day. It is now early FEB and we are awaiting a call back for a date to take the truck back in. Appears to be a systemic problem and we are experiencing the same level of frustration with BMW responsiveness. Does anyone have a good contact at BMWNA above the standard customer service reps.
I ordered my first X3 through Bavarian Motor Cars in Wurzburg. It was a POS that had issues already at delivery, spent a lot of its first month in the shop, and was bought back in a little over a month.

Start documenting everything, type it up in a calm, non-emotional email or letter that clearly expresses your disappointment in the BMW quality and your aggravation over the constant trips to the shop for repair. Have a good timeline that shows all of the time in the shop. Send it to the owner of the business and if their reply doesn't include an offer of a buyback, ask about one. If they're smart, they'd rather lose a few bucks on the buyback than risk getting a bad reputation. It's also an opportunity for them to show that BMW values and supports its customers.

I was fortunate at the time to have great salespeople that worked it for me in the background. All they asked of me was the letter to the boss.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 AM

BMW doesn't care about customers. I asked them to buy mine back with the same kind of problems. They refused and have now offered me a very small compensation check that should be in the mail. I'm trading mine in about a month for the new Lexus GX 460. I'm tired of fooling around with my local dealer and BMWNA. Every time I needed a part, it was on back order and I had to call BMWNA and complain. This is my 4th and last BMW...

Good luck,

Craig
Old 02-05-2010, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
BMW doesn't care about customers. I asked them to buy mine back with the same kind of problems. They refused and have now offered me a very small compensation check that should be in the mail. I'm trading mine in about a month for the new Lexus GX 460. I'm tired of fooling around with my local dealer and BMWNA. Every time I needed a part, it was on back order and I had to call BMWNA and complain. This is my 4th and last BMW...

Good luck,

Craig
I sympathize with your experience and it, among others expressed here, has turned me away from the X5D for the moment.

However, our situation is a bit different here and their effort might be rewarded.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post

Good luck,

Craig
I'm sorry to hear about your negative experiences, but I wouldn't state such a broad generalization. It does come down to dealership experience more than anything. Our X5 35d has been in the shop a few times already, but overall the dealership has handled it very well. Trust me, I'm not happy that it had to go in the first place, but solutions and results are more important.

Thus far our dealership experience has been head and shoulders better with the BMW....even better than all of the Lexus dealerships that we've dealt with. The service from Mercedes, outside of our sales guy, is flat out laughable.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 PM

I'm going to post this one more time...

There are lots of things that can set off a Check Engine Light. So unless you simply don't value your time and/or you just like to take your X5 into the dealer for a quick snack and cappuccino hit... you owe it to yourself to invest in an inexpensive OBD II code reader (approx. $50). BTW if you are seriously cheap, just take your X5 to the nearest AutoZone and have them read the codes for FREE. Without the 'codes' you are at the mercy of the dealer and what they tell you is the problem with your X5.

Just post the codes here. One of us will look them up for you and give you better advice than you are likely to get at your dealer

Or you can keep whinging and wondering.

Funf Dreisig

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 02-05-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: grammer - duh
Old 02-05-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:

There are lots of things that can set off a Check Engine Light. So unless your you simply don't value your time and/or you just like to take your X5 into the dealer for a quick snack and cappuccino hit... you owe it to yourself to invest in an inexpensive OBD II code reader (approx. $50). .

Funf Dreisig
I agree 100%. It is pointless to say you have a check engine light and ask what's wrong.

Here's the general codes which could light the check engine light:

http://www.troublecodes.net/OBD2/Pcodes.shtml

And here's the BMW Specific list of what the check engine light might mean:

http://www.myscantool.com/dtc/specific/bmw.html

And there are a few more for BMW's that aren't listed. Any of those in either of the two lists can make the CEL light up.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
First thing I'd check is the fuel cap... my car had that lose and it se t a code.

Next thing it could be your CATS. Or something emissions related.

I am, of course, kidding...

Quote:
No, you will post this again, and again, and again..... until we all don't post....

A
Old 02-05-2010, 07:20 PM

Well, if the gas cap doesn't fix it, I'd move onto the Flux Capacitor.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?zeni...1&keyword=flux
Old 02-05-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
...No, you will post this again, and again, and again..... until we all don't post....

A
Next time it's your turn... then Penguin... then maybe I'll have cooled down enough to post something quasi-civil

Funf Dreisig
Old 02-05-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Well, if the gas cap doesn't fix it, I'd move onto the Flux Capacitor...
It's really true. You can find a link to anything on the internet

Funf Dreisig