Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-13-2009, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: X5, 645
X5 Tire Change - Issues

So...we arrived back from a 2 week vacation and decided it was time to switch from stock summer tires to winter tires, mounted on rims, on my 2008 V8 X5 with less than 15,000 miles on it.

I changed all the tires myself last December and had the local garage switch them back in April. No problems.

I live in a rural area with the closest, (only) dealership about an hour away. The next closest is about 4hrs away. The local guys don't take care of their premium customers, (2 new M3's, 2 new V8 X5's and a 645 cab over the past 9 years, but I'm treated the same as the guy with the 20 year old 318....), so it's an easy decision not to waste a day dealing with them on simple issues like tire changes.

I pulled the X5 out of the heated garage, drove 2 miles to a friends place, parked the truck in his work shop and we changed all four tires and made sure they were at the correct inflation, all in about 45 minutes. The X5 was unlocked at all time.

When the job was done, the vehicle would not start. The 4 way signal flasher would quick flash and other electrical equipment behaved in ridiculous random fashion.

At first blush, it would appear the battery is dead, but given that it was parked for 2 weeks less a day, I have a hard time believing this to be the case.

The rear tailgate does not open. At one point the FOB would not eject from the dash.

The vehicle is as dead as a dodo bird.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a quick fix?

The vehicle is under warranty so it's ultimately BMW's problem, but I'd still be interested to know what the heck is going on with a $80k SAV that won't start after a simple tire change.

I've always bought BMW, but changed to Acura MDX for my vehicle in sunnier climes.

These goofy problems make it harder and harder to stay loyal to our friends from Munich.

Thoughts on what happened?

Advertisement
Old 12-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Battery does flakey stff when it fails... really... looks like it has a charge, might start once, then nothing.

Do yourself a favor- DO NOT SIGN ANY ESTIMATE OVER $0.... You don't want them to tow it in, say 'probably under warranty, we will check it out- but we have to put down $200 estimate 'just in case'"...then get the call that it was $200 to diagnnose, $300 for the battery and $80 to install. Off the top of my head, I do not kno what battery coverage is under warranty..maybe check that first.

I usually recommend buy a battery first, just replace it if it is 4 years old...THEN see if the dealer needs it.

GL

A
Old 12-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2009 650i
All this malfunction has nothing to do with your tire change.....btw, just out of curiosity, you chnaged the tires - does that mean you installed the tires on your stock rims or you changed the rims also?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvicgrad85 View Post
So...we arrived back from a 2 week vacation and decided it was time to switch from stock summer tires to winter tires, mounted on rims, on my 2008 V8 X5 with less than 15,000 miles on it.....
You cad! Have you no honor, sir? Despite their robust outward appearance, E70's are sensitive creatures that require almost daily attention to keep their life essence from draining away. And here you get your E70's hopes up to be your #1 ride, with 2 long weeks of constant companionship. Followed by being shut away for an equal period of neglect (albeit in a heated garage). And then you have the nerve to take your E70 out for a quicky 2 miie trip to some stranger's 'workshop'. Strip off your E70's pretty summer shoes, replacing them with winter galoshes. And you expect your E70 to purr like a kitten?! Have a caution sir. If your E70 is towed in to your dealer, it will blub like a school girl and file an "unfavorable driver report" citing lack of quality time

Seriously, if you search this forum (and the Xoutpost forum) using terms like "dead battery" or "low battery" or "meltdown" you will discover that E70 model X5s have a tendency to drain their batteries with little or no warning, leaving the X5 in the condition you describe. The apparent cause(s) are varied. But they usually involve periods where the X5 has not been driven for a while and/or only driven short distances. BTW I wasn't joking about the "unfavorable driving report". E70 X5s log usage and really do file such a report if they are frequently driven only short distances.

Funf Dreisig

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 12-14-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf Dreisig View Post
E70 model X5s have a tendency to drain their batteries with little or no warning, leaving the X5 in the condition you describe.
Funf Dreisig
Yeah, I just ordered one of these to keep in the back:

http://www.cloreautomotive.com/site_prod.asp?sku_pk=264

A bit pricey, as there are others much cheaper, but I figure that when you need it, you really need it, and you can never have too much power available, particularly if it's really cold.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: X5, 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelP650i View Post
All this malfunction has nothing to do with your tire change.....btw, just out of curiosity, you chnaged the tires - does that mean you installed the tires on your stock rims or you changed the rims also?

The tires are already mounted on rims. Had to get those from an out of town dealer as well as the local BMW/Mini dealer couldn't get me any.

The issue was pure battery. Having the rear gate open activated a ton of electronics in the vehicle which, over 45 mins, pretty much drained the battery. 30 mins on charger tidied up the problem.

I'm now stuck with a TPM issue that the local dealer has no iea how to deal with, and charged me $130 to look at. Remember, this is an 08 with about 17,000 kms on it.....

As much as I've been a loyal BMW customer, after 10 years, 2 X5's, 3 M3's, an MZ and a 645, it is very unlikely I'll buy another one.

Their service is simply, hopelessly and consistently useless.

The local Ford dealer treats me better when I'm having my F350 truck serviced than BMW does...

Last edited by uvicgrad85; 01-04-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Well, if it's of any help, our XC90s battery goes dead in about 30 minutes if I keep the radio on while, say, washing the car. I will then have to have it sit for a few hours before I can restart the vehicle. It's been doing this since day one. I've just learned to live with this "defect" over the years....
Old 01-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
....The issue was pure battery. Having the rear gate open activated a ton of electronics in the vehicle which, over 45 mins, pretty much drained the battery. 30 mins on charger tidied up the problem.....
I'm sure the rear gate being open contributed to (and probably was the last straw) for the battery drain issue. But I'd bet there was a 'pre-existing' condition (e.g. low charge level from sitting 2 weeks) that is the underlying cause.

FWIW I have left the rear hatch open for more than 45mins several times on our 2009 35d. But since we drive it very regularly the battery may be a little better charged.

Funf Dreisig
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
I'd still be interested to know what the heck is going on with a $80k SAV that won't start after a simple tire change.:

Funny how people attribute cause and effect....

Wonder what the resolution was?