Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X35d
2011 X5 is tormenting me

Hello all,

This is my first post although I have been visiting this forum for the last couple of years. Thank you to all for your wonderful insight and candid comments.

I have had several BMW's over the years, most recently an '08 X5 that had to be traded in for business reasons. After reading this forum, I finally decided to order a 2010 X35d in hopes of it arriving before the end of the year - I need a tax write off and the ECO credit was a huge bonus.

Since my order I have been reading more and more about the 2011 face lift. The last thing I want to do is spend $60k and be stuck with an outdated vehicle. I know some will argue the changes will be cosmetic or not very drastic and it is still a BMW. However, if the changes include different/better engines, upgraded interior and more aggressive styling I am going to be p***ed.

In a last ditch effort to ease my concerns (my X5 is schedule to arrive this week) I called my CA. Naturally the CA was quick to dismiss any "changes" and wouldn't confirm the 2011 coming out early. The CA towed the company line that this model is only 3 years old and BMW doesn't typically refresh this quickly. I kept pushing and was finally told the 2011's are scheduled for a March '10 release.

So now what to do. The CA said this is the first time BMW has ever launched a new model year so early in the cycle which leads me to believe BMW must have a reason for wanting to do so. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I am questioning the motives

I would like to garner some advice from my friends on this forum. Would you stay or would you wait? Also, if I cancel my order (even with the car so close to delivery) can I get my deposit back? The last words of advice from my CA was if I had doubts I should just order the 2011 even though there is not an option to do so at this time...

Any advice would be so much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Pike.
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
I'm in the exact same position as you and I hope to see some opinions here bc it's bothering the sh*t out of me too. Only difference is I want the twin turbo V8 (clearly not the popular choice in this forum, but it's my last normal gas engine car).

Last edited by Nickspop; 12-14-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: new info
Old 12-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Yes, please!

Mein Auto: 318ti Clubsport
You won't have an outdated vehicle. The only differences will be head/taillamps and bumpers. You're already getting the new iDrive, and the diesel engine probably won't be changing. If you need the tax help, do it now. If you can wait, then wait.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...lift-pics.html <-- that post was just updated with reliable information that another X5 option for 2011 will be a tri-turbo diesel X5 xDrive40d.

Last edited by jaaX3; 12-14-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by opikeu View Post
I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I am questioning the motives

I think the answer is simple... It was suppose to all happen as a 2010 MY change, but got delayed and couldn't be done in time. Due to the current state of the industry, and the competitors moves, BMW doesn't want to delay the changes any longer than necessary, and a March launch of the 2011 facelift would coincide nicely with the Spring selling season. Speculation is that upgraded gasoline engines might also be part of the 2011 MY, but that's speculation (the facelift is about as close to a certainty as you can get, without a formal BMW acknowledgment.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X35d
Fair assessment. Do you have any idea of BMW will be tweaking the Diesel engine for 2011?
Old 12-14-2009, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: On order 2011 X-5 5.0
So which engine is replacing the 4.8 as the more powerful engine(below the M of course)....and now you have me wondering if I should wait!!!!I would love a 400 HP instead of the 350 for the 4.8 I just ordered....
Old 12-14-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Fair assessment. Do you have any idea of BMW will be tweaking the Diesel engine for 2011?
I have no idea. I would be a bit surprised if they did, so soon after the U.S. introduction. They may do some unannounced/undisclosed "fixing" of any problems, e.g., if anything has shown up with the SCR emissions system in the past year. Some people have been reporting inappropriate SCR Fluid warning lights, so they may have some fixing to do there with sensors or the pumping system from the main tank to the secondary tank.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
None of us want a brand new vehicle to become dated in a few months but there are two major things to consider:

1. Putting off your life. I consider this yearly with most purchases like computers that will get a more powerful cpu or drop in price the month after I buy it. It almost never 'pays' to put off the use and enjoyment...

2. If there is a significant change in 2011 then you are buying the first year of a new engine/model and have to deal with all of the inevitable kinks to get warrantied out. Pioneers get the arrows and settlers get the land...

good luck and don't dwell on your decision regardless.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: Wash DC
I am sure 2011 model will not have $4,500 ECO credit. You will be paying around $5,000 ($4,500 ECO credit + about $500 price increase) more for 2011. You call.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:
Hello all,

This is my first post although I have been visiting this forum for the last couple of years. Thank you to all for your wonderful insight and candid comments.

I have had several BMW's over the years, most recently an '08 X5 that had to be traded in for business reasons. After reading this forum, I finally decided to order a 2010 X35d in hopes of it arriving before the end of the year - I need a tax write off and the ECO credit was a huge bonus.

Since my order I have been reading more and more about the 2011 face lift. The last thing I want to do is spend $60k and be stuck with an outdated vehicle. I know some will argue the changes will be cosmetic or not very drastic and it is still a BMW. However, if the changes include different/better engines, upgraded interior and more aggressive styling I am going to be p***ed.

In a last ditch effort to ease my concerns (my X5 is schedule to arrive this week) I called my CA. Naturally the CA was quick to dismiss any "changes" and wouldn't confirm the 2011 coming out early. The CA towed the company line that this model is only 3 years old and BMW doesn't typically refresh this quickly. I kept pushing and was finally told the 2011's are scheduled for a March '10 release.

So now what to do. The CA said this is the first time BMW has ever launched a new model year so early in the cycle which leads me to believe BMW must have a reason for wanting to do so. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I am questioning the motives

I would like to garner some advice from my friends on this forum. Would you stay or would you wait? Also, if I cancel my order (even with the car so close to delivery) can I get my deposit back? The last words of advice from my CA was if I had doubts I should just order the 2011 even though there is not an option to do so at this time...

Any advice would be so much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Pike.
The same argument you're using to consider not buying the 2010 X5 should also stop you from buying the 2011 and 2012 models, since they will all be outdated by the completely redesigned 2013 X5... And that's why I lease.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535i, 10 X5d, 13 AH5
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaX3 View Post
You won't have an outdated vehicle. The only differences will be head/taillamps and bumpers. You're already getting the new iDrive, and the diesel engine probably won't be changing. If you need the tax help, do it now. If you can wait, then wait.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...lift-pics.html <-- that post was just updated with reliable information that another X5 option for 2011 will be a tri-turbo diesel X5 xDrive40d.
x2

I am exactly at your situation now. I wish my ordered X5d arrives this month, BMWFS stated it will be complete on 12-17 so it won't arrive until Jan or even Feb. I consider all benefits and disadvantages to order 2010, especially X5 diesel engine with $4500 eco credit. Other changes like head/tail lights and bumper change not worth me to give up $4500. EVERY PENNY counts~ Agree with Penguin diesel engine won't have a big change since they just launched recent year.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: X5
opikeu,
From bmw news and forum discussions, the 2011 "redesign" is merely a front and rear bumper facelift. I think it'll going to look more like the X6 from what ppl are saying. The rest of the car will be the same. So, there's no reason to fret. As others have stated, your reasoning can be used to postpone the purchase of any model year. Because, something will always change come the following year.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330CiC ZHp
I would say it depends on the personal situation - if you want/need it now, then go for it. Personally, I am ready for one, but have decided to wait for a 2011. This weekend I asked if I can order by Jan 4th to take advantage of the ECO credit, but was told "no-go". I figured, even if there is no ECO credit for the new model, a year's depreciatin would almost cancel out the ECO credit. So one should come out about even, provided they are willing to wait a few months (OK in my case).
Old 12-15-2009, 12:29 AM

Mein Auto: bleh
I just bought a 2010 X5 this week, to be honest I can't wait three months because I really need a car right now, and three months is too long for me, and plus I could trade it in if it's a big problem and add a few extra bucks.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by lek View Post
x2

I am exactly at your situation now. I wish my ordered X5d arrives this month, BMWFS stated it will be complete on 12-17 so it won't arrive until Jan or even Feb. I consider all benefits and disadvantages to order 2010, especially X5 diesel engine with $4500 eco credit. Other changes like head/tail lights and bumper change not worth me to give up $4500. EVERY PENNY counts~ Agree with Penguin diesel engine won't have a big change since they just launched recent year.

Your car's production is done on 12/17, but you won't take delivery until possibly Feb??? Is this timeline right? You are in Nor Cal right? Mine finished production on 12/3, I am hoping to take delivery this week or next at the latest. I hope I don't have to wait that long.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535i, 10 X5d, 13 AH5
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanX5d View Post
Your car's production is done on 12/17, but you won't take delivery until possibly Feb??? Is this timeline right? You are in Nor Cal right? Mine finished production on 12/3, I am hoping to take delivery this week or next at the latest. I hope I don't have to wait that long.
Per my CA said my X5d won't arrive until mid Jan or early Feb. I wish it can arrive earlier! :drive
Old 12-15-2009, 08:57 PM
einauslander

Mein Auto: E30 325iX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebmw View Post
I am sure 2011 model will not have $4,500 ECO credit. You will be paying around $5,000 ($4,500 ECO credit + about $500 price increase) more for 2011. You call.
I am struggling with the same thought, get the 2010 or wait for the 2011. I don't want to give up the $4,500 credit and who knows how much price increase is in store. More over, the Destination fee is also going up from $825 to $875 or $900 (I know this is a small increase in relation to the cost of the vehicle)

If the 2011 X5 35d does not have the $4,500 deisel credit, then getting the 2010 is a no brainer.

I am also seriously considering buying a 2010 instead of a lease. Buying means in addition to the BMW CCA $1,000 cashback, I save the $725 lease initiation fee and qualify for the Federal Alternative Fuel credit Tax credit $900 (or $1,800).

CA at the dealer says I need to have my order in as a Priority 1 by Dec 31st to lock the $4,500 credit. Does anyone know if I can change a Priority 1 order the first week of Jan to a 2011 if the diesel credit is extended to 2011 models? I realize I will pay for the 2011 price increase.

Ein Auslander
Old 12-15-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by einauslander View Post
CA at the dealer says I need to have my order in as a Priority 1 by Dec 31st to lock the $4,500 credit. Does anyone know if I can change a Priority 1 order the first week of Jan to a 2011 if the diesel credit is extended to 2011 models? I realize I will pay for the 2011 price increase.

Ein Auslander
I can virtually guarantee you that in the unlikely even the eco credit were to be extended to the 2011 models, it would not be announced in January. While you never know what BMW will do, and how bad industry sales will be, I would be very surprised if they would have incentives on a newly refreshed model introduced at the peak selling season at the moment of introduction.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by einauslander View Post
I am struggling with the same thought, get the 2010 or wait for the 2011. I don't want to give up the $4,500 credit and who knows how much price increase is in store. More over, the Destination fee is also going up from $825 to $875 or $900 (I know this is a small increase in relation to the cost of the vehicle)

If the 2011 X5 35d does not have the $4,500 deisel credit, then getting the 2010 is a no brainer.

I am also seriously considering buying a 2010 instead of a lease. Buying means in addition to the BMW CCA $1,000 cashback, I save the $725 lease initiation fee and qualify for the Federal Alternative Fuel credit Tax credit $900 (or $1,800).

Ein Auslander
You can 'change' an order up to the second you drive it off the lot! Just decline the car and order another!

If you order a 2010 and take a 'slot', then they will not change the allocation to a 2011...once a slot is defined, BMW **IS** building that car: parts are ordered, plans are made...you can adjust options, but that's it.... you are really placing a new order when you 'change' years

(FWIW, I had a 2009 ordered and at the dealer, and declined it and bought a 2010... Cost me an extra $3000 too. All for the new iDrive!)
Old 12-16-2009, 03:57 PM

hey ard,

I'm interested to hear more about your cancel and reorder process as I may have to the same thing since the X I ordered is almost delivered to the dealer.

Did you lose your deposit on the first order?
Did you go to see the X you ordered and just tell them you were declining it?

TIA
Old 12-16-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickspop View Post
hey ard,

I'm interested to hear more about your cancel and reorder process as I may have to the same thing since the X I ordered is almost delivered to the dealer.

Did you lose your deposit on the first order?
Did you go to see the X you ordered and just tell them you were declining it?

TIA
Whether you lose your deposit upon order cancellation depends on your state laws and/or the paperwork that you signed when you placed the order. If you didn't sign anything which stated that the deposit is non-refundable, then you should be able to get your money back if you cancel.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li & 740il
i'm in the same position, the only thing i'm lookin forward to is the tt v8 engine..does anybody kno the exact month its expected to come out cuz i'm thinkin of puttin in an order for a 4.8 next month and wouldnt wanna miss out by a couple of months
Old 12-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2g View Post
Whether you lose your deposit upon order cancellation depends on your state laws and/or the paperwork that you signed when you placed the order. If you didn't sign anything which stated that the deposit is non-refundable, then you should be able to get your money back if you cancel.

Bingo.

I did not loose the deposit.

I did look at the car at the dealership... hated the beige carpet... Called them and said I wouldn't take it. That deal was $500 profit... I am sure they made QUITE a bit more that weekend when it sold!

They would not deal on the 2010. Had nothing to do with me cancelling, just that the diesel market was heating up and they wanted to keep their options (to make more) open with their remaining slots. I cut a deal elsewhere, paying ~$1k profit.

A
Old 12-16-2009, 04:50 PM

good stuff. thanks guys
Old 12-16-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Bingo.

I did not loose the deposit.

I did look at the car at the dealership... hated the beige carpet... Called them and said I wouldn't take it. That deal was $500 profit... I am sure they made QUITE a bit more that weekend when it sold!

They would not deal on the 2010. Had nothing to do with me cancelling, just that the diesel market was heating up and they wanted to keep their options (to make more) open with their remaining slots. I cut a deal elsewhere, paying ~$1k profit.

A
Funny...I hated the black and tabacco interior, but preferred the beige interior. The grey interior was okay.