Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Bingo.

I did not loose the deposit.

I did look at the car at the dealership... hated the beige carpet... Called them and said I wouldn't take it. That deal was $500 profit... I am sure they made QUITE a bit more that weekend when it sold!

They would not deal on the 2010. Had nothing to do with me cancelling, just that the diesel market was heating up and they wanted to keep their options (to make more) open with their remaining slots. I cut a deal elsewhere, paying ~$1k profit.

A
I'm curious to know if the first dealership is your local one and if you will be servicing the car you bought somewhere else with them...

Last edited by Marwan; 12-17-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 M
BMW always does a body refreshing in the fourth year. This time it coincides with likley new engines moving the gas engines to the twin turbos but this slight body refreshing is standard in all BMW models. For example 5 series changed in 2008, 3 series changed in 2009. No changes to diesles that I have seen outside of the front bumper changes.
The first gen X5 started in 2000 and model refreshed in 2004 early spring. Changes then were slight bumper and light changes and later on in 2004 a switch to the panaramic roof plus the 4.4 engine was modified and changes to xdrive. There are plenty of pictures of the coming 2011 floating around so take a look. Front bumper treatment looks a lot like an X6 due to the increased airflow needed for the TT's. Other than that same look.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5, Mercedes ML350
1. I don't think earlier than 7 years cycle BMW or any other manufacture could substantially change a model, otherwise it risks to undermine the trust to itself. So in 2011 could be just minor changes as in Mercedes GL550 say ( 2009 >2010).

2. X5 is the most beautiful SUV in the market - why to change it so early ?

3. Anyhow engine could be changed but why it must threaten u ? Say Cayenne Porsche is coming in 3.6 l, and 4 ( !!!) versions of 4.8 l. So consider that X5 is also coming say in 5 versions and u have purchased one of it.

4. Finally BMW just released X5M which is new, but I can't tell it completely differs from X5 in exterior, so chances it will change earlier than 2014 are poor.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM123 View Post
1. I don't think earlier than 7 years cycle BMW or any other manufacture could substantially change a model, otherwise it risks to undermine the trust to itself. So in 2011 could be just minor changes as in Mercedes GL550 say ( 2009 >2010).
Check-out the 2005 Ford Five Hundred (Taurus) vs. the 2009 Ford Taurus.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5, Mercedes ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Check-out the 2005 Ford Five Hundred (Taurus) vs. the 2009 Ford Taurus.
I forgot to add "German manufacture". I really don't know so much about American cars.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
This is new -- yesterday my dealer said for the first time that they expect the 2011 to get the TT engine from the X6, but they don't have any information when it might be announced or available. Doesn't realy help much and I don't know what to expect at this point, but the dealer was gracious enuf to give me more time to decide if I want to the X5 4.8i I ordered which has arrived.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 M
The test mule pictures that have been showing up over the past few months have all signaled that the TT's are in both models. Even down to the door emblems. Word is March/April '10 time frame.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
I'm curious to know if the first dealership is your local one and if you will be servicing the car you bought somewhere else with them...

First dealer was '2nd local' (ie there is a "1st" local a few miles closer)... I actually bought it 120 miles away.

the 1st local (closest) dealer is part of a group that I've never been able to work with...(I've purchased: Acura, BMW M5, Porsche 996TT and this X5... and never could come to an agreement with this group- three different dealerships... Just a philosophical thing, they sell at retail , they sell on 'long term relationshos' and that's that.)

But I digress, I will have it serviced at the 2nd local- the place where I turned down the 2009. Simply because I have a longstanding relationship with an SA there.

I do not concern myself with the "if you don't buy it here we don't give loaners" threat. They will only rarely see me for the first 50k miles- the 3 oil changes they cover, and Inspection I. Less if I can't get a loaner (I can change oil and filter in 15 minutes.) Perhaps a warranty claim here or there... If I need to rent a car of arrange a ride, it is a small enough expense to offset their prices.

And if you treat your SA right, THEY are the ones that can set up the loaners! and frankly, I enjoy talking cars with the mechanics and the SAs more than listening to CAs make up crap as they go along....

A
Old 12-22-2009, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
... And if you treat your SA right, THEY are the ones that can set up the loaners! and frankly, I enjoy talking cars with the mechanics and the SAs more than listening to CAs make up crap as they go along....

A
I don't want to highjack this thread so I'll start another one about actually tipping SAs in the Ask-A-Dealer section.

Last edited by Marwan; 12-22-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Angry

WTF? BMW press releases for the Detroit AS make ZERO mention of the X5 changes whatsoever. THIS SUCKS. We all know a facelift is coming why can't they just tell us when even if they don't give any other details.

I guess they could still say something about it at the autoshow but why keep everyone in limbo until then in the hopes they say SOMETHING at the show

JMFC this is frustrating.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: A Vehicle
OMG, what craziness! I ordered an x5d and it was built two weeks ago, I am supposed to take delivery in mid January. But I am a huge stickler for having a vehicle updated or a new model released within the first couple years. So, having it happen in the first 2 months is out of the question for me! I'm going to cancel my order and talk to them about the 2011 model. So, for those of you who've done the research - do the rumors mean that the 2011 model will begin being *delivered* in March, or just that they'll be announced?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X35d
Talking I'm all in Thursday

After much deliberation I will be taking home my 2010 X5d Thursday afternoon - just under the wire to get the $25k bonus tax write off, the standard depreciation and $1800 lean fuel credit before the tax laws (potentially) change in 2010. I have looked at more spy pictures of the 2011 than I could have ever imagined. At the end of the day the changes are subtle and I agree with many of you that the engine will not be changing in the next MY compared to the 3.0 and 4.8 TT.

My accountant really sold me on moving forward with the deal. Not to mention - I just REALLY love this car. No regrets for me if the refresh actually happens in MY 2011.

And one last point - the dealership called me yesterday when my CA was off and asked if they could sell the car to someone else. Said the new buyer was willing to pay MSRP and they were willing to refund my $500. Hilarious. I had already scheduled my pickup the week prior. I thought they were trying to play a trick and bully me. I talked to my CA today and it is confirmed someone is waiting to pay full boat if I get there Thursday and decide against taking her home for some reason. Guess demand is very high! Especially since I negotiated invoice + $700.

Good luck Nickspop. I know how much I have debated this in my mind and wouldn't wish that on anyone else.

Happy New Year to all!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Yes, please!

Mein Auto: 318ti Clubsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by opikeu View Post
And one last point - the dealership called me yesterday when my CA was off and asked if they could sell the car to someone else. Said the new buyer was willing to pay MSRP and they were willing to refund my $500. Hilarious. I had already scheduled my pickup the week prior. I thought they were trying to play a trick and bully me. I talked to my CA today and it is confirmed someone is waiting to pay full boat if I get there Thursday and decide against taking her home for some reason. Guess demand is very high! Especially since I negotiated invoice + $700.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4, 2010 M3 conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by opikeu View Post
After much deliberation I will be taking home my 2010 X5d Thursday afternoon - just under the wire to get the $25k bonus tax write off, the standard depreciation and $1800 lean fuel credit before the tax laws (potentially) change in 2010. I have looked at more spy pictures of the 2011 than I could have ever imagined. At the end of the day the changes are subtle and I agree with many of you that the engine will not be changing in the next MY compared to the 3.0 and 4.8 TT.

My accountant really sold me on moving forward with the deal. Not to mention - I just REALLY love this car. No regrets for me if the refresh actually happens in MY 2011.

Good luck Nickspop. I know how much I have debated this in my mind and wouldn't wish that on anyone else.

Happy New Year to all!
if I may ask a quick question?

what is this
Quote:
just under the wire to get the $25k bonus tax write off,
write off?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X35d
as a business owner I can take advantage of a $25k reduction in taxable income by purchasing a Luxury SUV in 2009. Consult your tax person but this is in addition to the standard depreciation that can be written-off. The total reduction in income amounts to greater than $40k for my circumstance.