Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-14-2009, 11:17 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to clickherebj
Mein Auto: 2004 325 CI
Exclamation 2004 Instrument Cluster Calibration??

Hey guys, Im new here and REALLY need some help. I have a 2004 325Ci and I removed the instrument cluster to repair some lightbulbs and then I re-installed it. When I re-installed it, the traction control light and ABS light both came on and stayed on and the xenon headlights no longer turn when you turn the steering wheel.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does the cluster have to be re-calibrated to the car since it was removed and re-installed?

Please advise, no traction control or ABS almost caused me to get into an accident the other day in the rain.
Ads by Google
Old 12-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickherebj View Post
Hey guys, Im new here and REALLY need some help. I have a 2004 325Ci and I removed the instrument cluster to repair some lightbulbs and then I re-installed it. When I re-installed it, the traction control light and ABS light both came on and stayed on and the xenon headlights no longer turn when you turn the steering wheel.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does the cluster have to be re-calibrated to the car since it was removed and re-installed?

Please advise, no traction control or ABS almost caused me to get into an accident the other day in the rain.
Thats wierd. I've heard where E46's have problems with batteries near the end of their life. How's your battery? Could it be concidence the problems started with the light bulb replacement? I mean, I can't work out how they would be connected...but I'm not expert, for sure.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Sponsor

Mein Auto: European Cars Galore
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting it? It may reset the cluster and it will start working again. Wingspan may be on to something, you may just need a new battery.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
... and, of course, you are absolutely certain that all connectors were fully seated back in their place when you put it back together, right?

2006 325Ci
Old 12-14-2009, 05:49 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Weird. I heard that DSC/ABS error can come up due to IKE (your cluster) being uncoded to the modules, LCM (Light Control Module) being one of them. I read some stuff about it, but forgot much of it. Do you have a temper dot illuminated too? Which "lightbulbs" did you change in the cluster? I have a feeling you messed something up...mileage or VIN. You might need to reflash your LCM with current mileage and VIN using a scanner. You mentioned your headlights are malfunctioning now? There is definetely some kind of communication problem between IKE and LCM.

You know what...Ask Neil1138. He'll help you out on that. I researched it once but can't remember now everything I read for sure.

There is a hidden computer function that resets the cluster. It's the last one. You can try to reset it but be careful if you messed something up before it might make things worse.

Last edited by Starless; 12-14-2009 at 08:17 PM.