Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-14-2009, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328xi
New BMW 328xi problem with kickdown

I just got a new bmw (2010 328xi) - first time BMW owner - last week, and wanted to give it a ride this past weekend... There is a good variety of scenic drives here in Washington, and it has been snowing at some regions. I really enjoyed the drive! I even got some adrenaline rush while going down hill on snow-clad curvy roads - I almost lost traction at one point which totally freaked out my fiance

There are two issues I have observed during the past week: 1) airbag warning sign appeared on the screen and did not go off. 2) when I attempted to overtake a car, I depressed the accelerator all the way down, but instead the car started decelerating!

I am more worried about #2 for now , as I was looking forward to that oomph of the kickdown, but it failed miserably. When I press the pedal down hard, the rev resets to 1-2k range after a short period of surge; no downshift happens, the car slows down as if the engine brakes went into effect, and furthermore the car "jerks" back and forth while the rev fluctuates between a tight range. Arrgh- my good ol' toyota solara was even able to roar at that point!

I will definitely see a BMW service this week, and update this thread. Would like to hear if anyone had similar issues, and what the problem might be...
Ads by Google
Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Do a search for the 328xi transmission problems.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Yeah, take it back and let the dealer take care of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemalican View Post
I just got a new bmw (2010 328xi) - first time BMW owner - last week, and wanted to give it a ride this past weekend... There is a good variety of scenic drives here in Washington, and it has been snowing at some regions. I really enjoyed the drive! I even got some adrenaline rush while going down hill on snow-clad curvy roads - I almost lost traction at one point which totally freaked out my fiance

There are two issues I have observed during the past week: 1) airbag warning sign appeared on the screen and did not go off. 2) when I attempted to overtake a car, I depressed the accelerator all the way down, but instead the car started decelerating!

I am more worried about #2 for now , as I was looking forward to that oomph of the kickdown, but it failed miserably. When I press the pedal down hard, the rev resets to 1-2k range after a short period of surge; no downshift happens, the car slows down as if the engine brakes went into effect, and furthermore the car "jerks" back and forth while the rev fluctuates between a tight range. Arrgh- my good ol' toyota solara was even able to roar at that point!

I will definitely see a BMW service this week, and update this thread. Would like to hear if anyone had similar issues, and what the problem might be...
Hi and welcome to the Fest. I don't mean to lecture you, but losing traction while going downhill on a snow-clad curvy road might not be something to smile about.
As for the kickdown, the only thing that comes to mind other than a malfunction is the possibility that the stability control system detected a possible skid, and acted to prevent the smile being wiped off your face. You did not mention whether you were still on snow or going downhill at the time. Is airbag warning on all of the time?
Best of luck and enjoy your new car.

Last edited by Fredric; 12-14-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Gentleman Extraordinaire

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemalican View Post
I depressed the accelerator all the way down, but instead the car started decelerating!

2009 E92 335i xDrive (Ordered 3/21/09 / Completed 5/4/09 / Delivery 6/6/09)

Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Gray Poplar Wood Trim / ZPP / ZCW / ZSP with 18" wheels / StepTronic / Navi+HD Radio / Logic 7 / iPod+USB / PDC / Anti-Theft
Old 12-20-2009, 03:07 AM

Problems fixed

Thanks folks! I got my car back from service...

They have identified two issues:

- Problem with airbag sensor; they had to replace it.

- The car was still in "economy" mode, that's why it was stalling when it reached 4500rpm. It was reining in the beast to save fuel. I also read similar complaints online after I found that out. They had to "reset the computer", and admitted that it was their neglect. Now, I can unleash the full potential of the car

The BMW service got me a rental in the meantime: a 2009 Mercedes c300 with sports package. I might be a little biased but that car was very poor compared to my BMW! The handling, the controls, etc were awful.

Fredric- the problems I listed above had nothing to do with driving on the snow - they happened at random times on highway. I just had to share my exuberance with the forum . I agree- losing traction was not fun, and I will be less tough on the car especially during the break-in period.

Well- I am relieved now. I hope I won't be getting facing any more problems!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:54 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
There's no such "economy" mode, unless you're talking about the shipment/transport mode, but that's unlikely unless someone really forgot to do their job at the dealership.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
There's no such "economy" mode, unless you're talking about the shipment/transport mode, but that's unlikely unless someone really forgot to do their job at the dealership.
You're right, it is due to "transport mode" being active. Here's what is written on the invoice I got; it does also mention "energy saving mode":

"VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN WITH VEHICLE NOT ACCEL OR GOING PAST 4500 RPM, PERFORMED FAULT SURVEY, FOUND FAULT 2FC6 DME: ENERGY SAVING MODE ACTIVE, SEARCHED FOR SIBS, NONE FOUND, PERFORMED TEST PLAN, LEAD TO DELETE TRANSPORT MODE, PERFORMED TRANSPORT MODE MODE DELETE, CLEARED FAULTS, VERIFIED REPAIR AFTER."

Yup, it was a slip up on their part.