Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
DIY - 02 745Li Oil pump/front axle support drop procedure

See my flickr set --> here for steps/pictures.

Fyi, you won't likely ever have to replace your oil pump...the oil pump on the N62 is practically indestructible. Though there is a spring that can break, it apparently very, very rarely happens.

Regardless, if there is another reason that you need to drop the front axle support, here is how, and what to expect.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 750Li
wow amazing DIY write up Keif...

i give you props just on the attempt. you got the car put together and running now?

2006 BMW M5
SOLD: 2006 750Li Monaco Blue/Black|Sports Package|Convenience Package|Comfort Access|Logic 7|Rear Entertainment|Night Vision|SAT/HD|Cold Weather|Luxury Seats|Rear Power Sunshades|35% Tint|22" Custom Wheels|H&R's|Alpina Trunk Spoiler| ACS Roof Spoiler| MTEC v3|
Old 12-15-2009, 02:29 AM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Oh yeah, the car is all back together and running fine now...I've actually had these pictures up for quite a while but didn't realize that I hadn't posted a link anywhere.

This was only one part of my low oil pressure troubleshooting that went on every night for the entire summer of 2008 (you can see one of my later troubleshooting plans in some of the later pictures). What a nightmare. I actually ended up dropping the oil pump twice...I did a simple replacement the first time; the second time I took it down to vacuum small pieces of plastic out of the block and heads (through the main oil bore near the crankshaft), which ended up being the actual reason for the low pressure. I think this was actually the first thing I had to do to the car aside from an oil change...what a pleasant entry into E65/E66 mechanics! Through this I did learn a lot about the engine and the various resources available for these cars, so I am thankful for that.

One of the most valuable things I learned doing this was that you really don't need any BMW special tools for a lot of things. For example, BMW lists several front axle support pieces that total a few thousand dollars -- which you supposedly need to lower the front axle support. As you can see, I found a much cheaper - and in my opinion much better - method of lowering it using just dowels threaded into the front subframe (to guide the front axle support up and down) and a single jack on axle carrier's jack pad (to raise/lower it).

As a side note, a while back I reordered some of the pictures, so if any seem out of order please let me know.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 12-15-2009, 05:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 745i 116k
There the pictures are!
Closed Thread