Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 xdrive35d
Sports/adaptive drive on x5 35d

I've been enjoying this forum for some time...I took delivery of a 2010 X5 35d yesterday. I only have 50 miles on this so far, so I still have much to experience. I replaced my 2007 BMW X5 4.8 with the diesel.

My 2007 X5 4.8 had adaptive drive. I BARELY experienced body roll, and could take all kinds of turns and curves. I immediately noticed body roll in the 35d; not terrible, but definitely more than in my previous x5 WITH adaptive control. I also feel the ride is softer with the diesel, and this is not altogether unwwelcome, as the 2007 X5 4.8 could feel harsh and severe on bumpy roads

My questions are these: I have the Sport Activity package and Sport Package listed seperately on my sticker. Did that include ANY kind of sport suspension? I know I don't have the adaptive drive option because it cost $3,500 and I honestly didn't think I needed it, until I felt that body roll that I wasn't used to in my previous X5!

Anyone else with similar experience? My dealer is saying that the adaptive drive was not an option with the 35d, but he isn't always correct.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2009, 09:06 AM

Just confirmed with my dealer...He tells me the 35 d is NOT available with the sports suspension. That it's an automatic delete.

This is pretty disappointing. I was looking forward to pairing the diesel motor with the same handling characteristics as my BMW X5 4.8. My fault for not getting the adaptive drive, but now I'm being told that adaptive drive NOR sports suspension could be had with the diesel.

Anyone know differently?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 650ic
Adaptive drive is available on the X5 35d; it's a $3500 option on the sports package. The sports package with out the AD is just an appearance package.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010X535D View Post
Adaptive drive is available on the X5 35d; it's a $3500 option on the sports package. The sports package with out the AD is just an appearance package.
Yep, that's what my dealer said in yet another clarfication. Sports package without AD is just appearance in the 35d.

Having said that, the ride is much smoother, albeit with more body roll, without the sports suspension/AD. Anyone agree with that?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Yes, please!

Mein Auto: 318ti Clubsport
I don't understand why the ride would be smoother without AD. I need to see if my CA has one that I can test drive, as I would like to see the difference (and see what I'm missing out on!).
Old 12-15-2009, 10:07 AM
OCD Afflicted

Mein Auto: '10 X5d & '08 EX35
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaquero View Post
the ride is much smoother, albeit with more body roll, without the sports suspension/AD. Anyone agree with that?
We have AD + embarassingly CRAPPY roads here in "America's Finest City", and I am VERY happy with the smoothness of ride in our 2010 35d.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaX3 View Post
I don't understand why the ride would be smoother without AD. I need to see if my CA has one that I can test drive, as I would like to see the difference (and see what I'm missing out on!).
Basically, with the AD in my 2007 X5 4.8 I could take on curves at the same speeds I would in a non-SUV. I've owned a 325i and 335i, and with the AD in the 2007 X5 I could take on the curves equally in all three vehicles. BUT, I will argue again that the bumps in the AD equipped X5 felt harsher. And this makes sense to me, because the suspension in the 2007 X5 was the sports suspension WITH adaptive drive. Even with the button in "normal" mode, the suspension was taught. In "sport" suspension mode, it just got that much tighter.

The 35d is NOT available with JUST the sport suspension mode unless you get the adaptive drive. So doesn't that mean that it has BMW's standard suspension, that is NOT as tight as the sports suspension with OR without the adaptive drive?

I just got the 35 d yesterday, so my body still remembers every bump and curve from my 2007 X5 with AD and sports package. And they both had 19 inch rims. This 2010 X5 35d without a sports suspension, without AD, feels like it has more wheel travel and soaks up bumps better, but rolls more. You can't get minimal roll AND an ultra-smooth ride. You can only get minimal roll with an acceptable level of harshness, IMO.

Believe me, I'm thinking that given the choice, I would have purchased my 2010 X5 35d WITH adaptive drive. But the dealer kept saying that the 35d was not available with adaptive drive. AND he said he felt it wasn't worth it. I think now that he got adaptive drive confused with active steering, which I agree is NOT worth it and I have heard is NOT available on the 35d. AND when you build a 35d online, it automatically deletes sports suspension. The only way to get a tighter suspension is to get AD for $3,500.

Last edited by vaquero; 12-15-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010X535D View Post
You can't order active steering on the X5 35d. You can order both the appearance package as well as adaptive drive on the 35d. I have it on mine...

I wouldn't want it without the adaptive drive in my opinion. I've ordered the sport package on all 4 of my BMW's...

Craig
Old 12-15-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
You can't order active steering on the X5 35d. You can order both the appearance package as well as adaptive drive on the 35d. I have it on mine...

I wouldn't want it without the adaptive drive in my opinion. I've ordered the sport package on all 4 of my BMW's...

Craig
Yep, that's what I'm figuring out. I'm pretty pissed. This is the first BMW I've ordered, and I wanted to get every option I wanted and basically build my dream X5 35d. So now I just got the damn thing yesterday, and I realize it's missing one of the best features I enjoyed about my last X5, and all because the dealer rep wasn't knowledgeable.

Granted, it's not a dog without it, but I took the time and spent the money to get it right, and I wanted the options that were important to me, and AD is one of them.

This is the last BMW I'll buy from this crappy dealership in San Antonio, TX.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i M Sport
We're enthusiasts and highly educated about the specific model/options we're interested in. I find, across the board, that sales folks do not know as much as I do about the specifics of a model. Never listen to the dealer when it comes to these issues. Come here & start searching, or post a new thread, and you'll eventually get the truth.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 650xi GC/2011 1M
Quote:
....... I think now that he got adaptive drive confused with active steering, which I agree is NOT worth it and I have heard is NOT available on the 35d.......
Have you driven an X5 with the Active Steering? I loved it with my 550 and it is one of those options I will get on the X5 (if I get the 4.8i that is). I'm disappointed it is not available on the 35d.

Disclaimer...
I will admit to having not driven the X5 with it - but if it helped the 550 that much, I can't believe it would be a bad thing on the X5.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5, Mercedes ML350
I don't live in USA but I didn't really understand one thing. Probably it is some kind of mistake in the www.bmwusa.com site configurator. If u configure, say not 35d but 48i model and u want to add Sport package in the paragraph suspension it again lists either "sport suspension delete" or "adaptive drive". Again - it is the same in the configurator for 4.8 model also.

It means that u get either nothing or adaptive drive ( which according given options must include sport suspension in itself) what means everything. Then why to list as an option phrase " sport suspension delete" ? Is not it reasonable to list just adaptive drive and that is all ?

But I think the word delete is unnecessary and wrong. In some other countries 2 options in sport package are the following: 1) sport suspension or 2) adaptive drive. It must not be just appearance, it must include sport suspension ( both Sport package and M-sport package) or more complicated adaptive drive.

So yourth has probably only sport suspension.

I want to ask u, vaquero, did u feel acceleration difference in 4.8 in comparison with your new 3.5 ?
Old 12-24-2009, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM123 View Post

I want to ask u, vaquero, did u feel acceleration difference in 4.8 in comparison with your new 3.5 ?
Old 12-24-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM123 View Post
I'm glad you asked this question, because I've been eager to compare the two acceleration experiences. I now have over 1,000 miles on the X5, so I've been able to open her up a little more and can tell you the difference.

The 4.8 X5 has easy acceleration. You just place a little pressure on the accelerator, and the engine quickly gives you power, especially with the transmission in sport mode. It will also quickly downshift and get to some high rpm's where the powerband let's you get moving quickly. BUT, I experienced a lot of initial hesitation with the 4.8. I know it's a normally aspirated motor, without turbo, but the damn thing would NOT consistently dart off the line, because the transmission or programming would get in the way. I've read that from a few other people in this forum. So the motor was kind of a disappointment because of that issue. And the mileage sucked. I was tired of filling up twice a week. I do a lot of driving in my X5.

The acceleration in the 35d is definitely less impressive, but more reliable. There IS a turbo lag, but it's consistent and most noticeable when departing from a complete stop. You can hear and feel the turbo spool up, and then the power comes on easily and progressively. I can count on it, whereas the 4.8 always left me wondering which start I was going to get: the smooth start, or the hesitating, lurching start? If it was always the smooth start, that motor would have won me over, but it wasn't always smooth.

And on the highway, with the 4.8, if I needed passing power, there was frequently a downshift and a lot of motor noise and excitement to get the power going to pass quickly. With the 35d, a little nudge of the accelerator brings a lot of torque and passing power with little fuss. The RPM's stay low and the motor barely works to deliver the burst of power needed.

I'm finding the diesel motor more consistent, with reliably progressive power without the drama of the 4.8. No doubt, the 4.8 felt quicker, but it was inconsistent and definitely more "exciting (dramatic)" to drive. There are pros and cons with either motor, I guess.

I'd like to see the 4.8 with a more smooth, consistent 0-30 start. And I'd like less turbo lag with the 35d. But that's for my next X5...
2010 BMW X5 35d - current (nevada leather, sports activity pkg., premium sound, tech pkg., entertainment pkg., cold weather pkg., rear climate control pkg., premium pkg., comfort access, multi-contour seats)

2007 BMW X5 4.8i - retired (nappa leather, premium pkg., sports pkg. including adaptive drive, tech pkg., cold weather pkg.)

2007 BMW 335i - retired
2005 BMW 325ci - retired
Old 12-24-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Have you driven an X5 with the Active Steering? I loved it with my 550 and it is one of those options I will get on the X5 (if I get the 4.8i that is). I'm disappointed it is not available on the 35d.

Disclaimer...
I will admit to having not driven the X5 with it - but if it helped the 550 that much, I can't believe it would be a bad thing on the X5.
I have NOT driven the x5 with active steering. Like a lot of things BMW, I probably would like it. But I don't have any issues with the X5's handling at speed. It's a little tough to power the steering at slow speeds, looking for a parking space, etc. but that stiff steering is welcome at 60-100mph, and lends a lot of stability.

It just wasn't high enough on my priority list to warrant purchase. Certainly not enough to keep me from making my motor choice of a diesel.
2010 BMW X5 35d - current (nevada leather, sports activity pkg., premium sound, tech pkg., entertainment pkg., cold weather pkg., rear climate control pkg., premium pkg., comfort access, multi-contour seats)

2007 BMW X5 4.8i - retired (nappa leather, premium pkg., sports pkg. including adaptive drive, tech pkg., cold weather pkg.)

2007 BMW 335i - retired
2005 BMW 325ci - retired
Old 12-25-2009, 12:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5d
If it were not for the info posted on this blog, I probably would be driving an X5D without adaptive drive, as my CA originally thought it had been deleted.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 650xi GC/2011 1M
Quote:
I have NOT driven the x5 with active steering. Like a lot of things BMW, I probably would like it. But I don't have any issues with the X5's handling at speed. It's a little tough to power the steering at slow speeds, looking for a parking space, etc. but that stiff steering is welcome at 60-100mph, and lends a lot of stability.

It just wasn't high enough on my priority list to warrant purchase. Certainly not enough to keep me from making my motor choice of a diesel.
Remember, the active steering requires less turns at low speeds and more at high - so sneezing does not put you in the next lane

I am however curious how your mileage compares on your 35d to your 48i (and how much highway/city you do)....and finally..

If you only drove 7,000 miles per year, which X5 would you prefer?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Remember, the active steering requires less turns at low speeds and more at high - so sneezing does not put you in the next lane

I am however curious how your mileage compares on your 35d to your 48i (and how much highway/city you do)....and finally..

If you only drove 7,000 miles per year, which X5 would you prefer?
I'll probably get active steering with my next X5. But as it wasn't a choice for the 35d, I didn't even have to think about it.

On a recent 500 mile highway road trip, I was able to get 28.5-29 mpg per the car's computer on a good, level stretch. The average for the trip was 26.5mpg The best HWY mpg I ever achieved in the 4.8 was 19mpg

I drive at LEAST 50 miles/day, and about 50% of that is highway driving. I'm getting 24 mpg in this mixed driving. I get about 20mpg in a pure city driving. I averaged 16 mpg in this same mixed driving environment with the 4.8.

The price of diesel is less than premium unleaded in my area of Texas as of this writing.

As to which choice of motor I would get if I drove 7,000 miles per year: I could NOT recommend the 4.8 motor unless BMW has definitively fixed the acceleration lag/hesitation problem as mentioned in this forum. My 4.8 was plagued with this problem, and it seriously affected the car's performance, and was very disappointing in a vehicle in this price range. I lived with it, because the dealership said they had no fix or could not duplicate the problem, but after reading info in this forum, I should have addressed this problem more aggressively. The car is traded in now, so...problem solved. And I also have the WORST dealership to deal with here in San Antonio. But I will go to this forum BEFORE I ever take my car in for servicing. This forum is my first line of defense against the clowns at my local dealer.

I am enjoying not having to know where every gas station is along my usual route, as was the case with my 4.8. But having said that, if the 4.8 drove as it is supposed to, the acceleration is a real rush. Pair that with adaptive drive, and the car truly felt like a big sports car.

2007 BMW 335i - retired
2005 BMW 325ci - retired
Old 12-25-2009, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 35d
My X5 should go into production in the next couple weeks. I don't want to feel every bump in the road. Does the Adaptive Drive make the suspension stiffer? I ordered the Sports Pkg with the Sport suspension delete for this reason..
Old 12-25-2009, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
It is stiffer in sport mode, but you can switch it off or on. I leave mine in the sport mode all the time and don't find it that harsh...

Craig
Old 12-25-2009, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Xenon, HD, USB,
2010 probably does not have sport mode button because there is no sport suspension. Since as per Craig, if bumps are not bad in sport mode, it would be even smooth in normal mode, which is the case with sport package too.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGTGuy View Post
? I ordered the Sports Pkg with the Sport suspension delete for this reason..
You should make sure YOU understand what you've ordered.... and NOT by asking your dealer. (As this thread highlights....)

The 'new and improved' 2010 Sport pkg has a "Adaptive Drive Delete'...to actually add the adaptive drive you select it as a separate stand alone option.

I am not aware of a "sport suspension delete" option....

A
Old 12-26-2009, 12:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 35d
It's an option when you select the Sport Activity Package on bmwusa.com here.

Click the Packages tab and look below the Sport Activity Package. There you will find Sport Suspension delete.

So, if I turn off Adaptive Drive, the suspension is soft and I won't feel every bump on the road?

If that's the case, I might have to get it.

Thanks gang!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:24 PM

[QUOTE=
Click the Packages tab and look below the Sport Activity Package. There you will find Sport Suspension delete.

So, if I turn off Adaptive Drive, the suspension is soft and I won't feel every bump on the road?

If that's the case, I might have to get it.

Thanks gang![/QUOTE]
Sport suspension delete means that selecting the sports activity package AUTOMATICALLY deletes the sports suspension. The only "sports suspension" option is to buy adaptive drive. This is MY understanding. I don't think you can un-check the automatic delete and think you are getting some kind of sports suspension. This is a very poorly designed part of the "build your BMW" feature online. I made this mistake already, and have a BMW X5 with sports activity package WITHOUT adaptive drive because I misunderstood this option.

But, and I know I'm repeating myself, I had a 2007 BMW X5 WITH adaptive drive, and even in "normal" mode it felt stiff. Selecting the "sport" button just made it stiffer. Even in "normal" mode, if I hit a hard bump I would catch myself wincing at the jarring impact.

With my current 2010 BMW X5 WITHOUT adaptive drive, the ride feels softer and more muted, but there is more body roll.

A question I have, and that has not been fully answered to my satisfaction, is: what does adaptive drive include exactly? My understanding is it includes a sway bar and electronically adjustable air dampening springs/coils that can be tuned for "normal" mode or made even stiffer with the "sport" mode. So doesn't that mean that you can turn off (or leave the selection in "normal" mode), but you are still left with some stiffening features that are MORE than the X5 WITHOUT adaptive drive?

The impression given in this thread is that "normal" mode is like driving the X5 WITHOUT adaptive drive, and I'm not buying it. Based on my 2007 X5 experience, even "normal" mode adaptive drive is stiffer than an X5 WITHOUT adaptive drive. BUT, I did like the feature and would have ordered it in my 2010 X5 if I had understood what the hell it was and how NOT having it was going to differ from having it!

Instead of MY opinion on the ride or someone else's opinion on how their already purchased X5 with adaptive drive is like silk in "normal" mode and a sports car in "sport" mode, can someone answer the question: What does adaptive drive include exactly and does "normal" mode mean that the entire adaptive drive package is OFFLINE and drives exactly like an X5 without adaptive drive? Or are some of the stiffening features in adaptive drive impossible to COMPLETELY disable?

I suspect the order of suspension stiffness is along the lines of, from least stiff to most stiff: X5 without adaptive drive>>X5 with adaptive drive in "normal mode">X5 with adaptive drive in "sport" mode. That's my theory.

2007 BMW 335i - retired
2005 BMW 325ci - retired

Last edited by vaquero; 12-27-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
X5 Adaptive Drive explained

here's a video explaining the Adaptive Drive feature: