Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-08-2009, 10:15 AM
enginerd1 enginerd1 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 745Li
04 745Li - Yet another tranny thread!!

Hi guys,
I searched and have not found my particular issue- so here I go.
I'm new to the forum- just picked up a 2004 745LI with 56K miles.
The car idles smoothly and runs out great- here's the but..
At about 1200-1500 rpms and usually around 40mph I get a stammer- seems to be tranny. You can hit the gas or get off the gas and it goes away. If you drive it harder (ie lead foot) it passes right through this range and you don't even notice it. On the flip side you can duplicate this behavior at several speeds by keeping the engine around this rpm range. I'm thinking this is a 2nd to 3rd gear issue- but not positive.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 12-16-2009, 05:53 AM
JHouston04745LI JHouston04745LI is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: BMW
I have an 2004 745Li with 70K now and I have found it does the same thing in 5th gear use the manual shifter if you have them to see what gear it is
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-16-2009, 06:01 AM
S.khakh S.khakh is offline
Registered User
Location: Leicester
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 81
Mein Auto: 730i sport silver
I would start with an oil a filter change on the trans mine does it when I accelerate at speeds about 50
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-16-2009, 06:06 AM
JHouston04745LI JHouston04745LI is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: BMW
the trans fluid filter right?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-16-2009, 06:11 AM
S.khakh S.khakh is offline
Registered User
Location: Leicester
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 81
Mein Auto: 730i sport silver
Yea I would get an Indy to do it, very messy and you really do need a ramp but it does make a difference, I've seen fluid come out black when it should be cherry red, black = burnt and useless
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-16-2009, 06:12 AM
JHouston04745LI JHouston04745LI is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: BMW
thanks I will start there have you heard anything about a software upgrade for the trans I was told that but I dont know how I feel about that
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-16-2009, 06:17 AM
S.khakh S.khakh is offline
Registered User
Location: Leicester
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 81
Mein Auto: 730i sport silver
No haven't heard about that, that might help but I think the box will need to "learn" how you drive again so it may feel weird at first, don't think a software upgrade will make it smoother, may change shift pattern to save fuel or make it shift quicker when on the accelerator but can't see any other advantages to software upgrades
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-16-2009, 06:21 AM
JHouston04745LI JHouston04745LI is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: BMW
do you know what kind of fluid it takes????? I was told that it learn all the time what driving patterns are like ....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-16-2009, 07:19 AM
S.khakh S.khakh is offline
Registered User
Location: Leicester
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 81
Mein Auto: 730i sport silver
Not 100% on the fluid but I'd guess it's regular auto trans oil, best to ask BMW though and use oem oil and filter
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-16-2009, 04:03 PM
wilson009's Avatar
wilson009 wilson009 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Buckeye Country (Cincy)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 440
Mein Auto: 2002 745i 116k
I think this fits what your describing.



SUBJECT
Harsh 3-2 and/or 2-1 Downshifts

MODEL
E65 and E66 (7 Series) 745i and 745Li with N62 and GA6HP26Z transmission
Vehicles from SOP up to 03/2005
SITUATION
IMPORTANT:
Depending on the production date of the vehicle, there are different situations and corrective measures
that must be carefully followed. Running production changes in vehicle hardware and software divide
these situations into three distinct production periods.
A. For vehicles produced from SOP up to and including 02/2003:
***61601; A harsh 3-2 and/or 2-1 downshift when slowing to a stop
***61601; A harsh downshift when accelerating at highway speeds
***61601; A "clunk" noise during a 2-1 downshift while driving slowly to a rolling stop, or during a
load reversal as described in SI B24 14 07 and SI B26 01 06.
B. For vehicles produced from 03/2003 up to and including 08/2003:
***61601; A "clunk" noise during a 2-1 downshift while driving slowly to a rolling stop, or during a
load reversal as described in SI B24 14 07 and SI B26 01 06.
C. For vehicles produced from 09/2003 up to and including 02/2005:
***61601; A harsh 3-2 downshift when slowing to a stop
***61601; A "clunk" noise during a 2-1 downshift while driving slowly to a rolling stop, or during a
load reversal as described in SI B24 14 07 and SI B26 01 06.
CAUSES
EGS software calibration
Driveshaft guibo coupling deterioration for "clunk" noise complaints

CORRECTION
For Situation A: Harsh downshift complaints
1. Verify that the transmission fluid level is correct.
2. Perform a "Short test" and correct all Drivetrain-related faults first.
3. If the vehicle integration level (vehicle data status) is E065-07-03-800 or less, reprogram the
vehicle using the latest version of Progman to E065-07-09-800 or higher.
4. Clear the EGS adaptations after programming is completed.
5. If after reprogramming, harsh downshifts are still felt, submit a regular PuMA case entitled "ZF
shift quality". To be processed, the case must include ALL information listed in SI B24 23 07.
For "clunk" noise complaints in vehicles produced from 10/2002 up to and including 02/2003, inspect
the driveshaft guibo coupling for deterioration or separation as described in SI B24 14 07.
For Situation B: "Clunk" noise complaints
1. Verify the complaint.
On vehicles produced from 03/2003 up to and including 08/2003, the only repair is to inspect the
driveshaft guibo coupling for deterioration or separation as described in SI B24 14 07.
Note:
There are no further EGS software changes for vehicles in this production period.
For Situation C: Harsh 3-2 downshift complaints
1. Verify that the transmission fluid level is correct.
2. Perform a "Short test" and correct all Drivetrain-related faults first.
3. Submit a Puma case entitled "Urban Program" to obtain the access code needed to complete the
retrofit reprogramming of the EGS module.
4. Start a programming session using the latest version of Progman and select "Urban Program"
from the retrofit options menu. The measures plan should indicate a higher programmed number
and an EGS calibration change.
5. Clear the EGS adaptations after the programming is completed.
For "clunk" noise complaints in vehicles produced from 09/2003 up to and including 02/2005, inspect
the driveshaft guibo coupling for deterioration or separation as described in SI B24 14 07.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-16-2009, 08:28 PM
haz1's Avatar
haz1 haz1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cal/USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 560
Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson009 View Post
I think this fits what your describing.



SUBJECT
Harsh 3-2 and/or 2-1 Downshifts

MODEL
E65 and E66 (7 Series) 745i and 745Li with N62 and GA6HP26Z transmission
Vehicles from SOP up to 03/2005
SITUATION
IMPORTANT:
Depending on the production date of the vehicle, there are different situations and corrective measures
that must be carefully followed. Running production changes in vehicle hardware and software divide
these situations into three distinct production periods.
A. For vehicles produced from SOP up to and including 02/2003:
***61601; A harsh 3-2 and/or 2-1 downshift when slowing to a stop
***61601; A harsh downshift when accelerating at highway speeds
***61601; A "clunk" noise during a 2-1 downshift while driving slowly to a rolling stop, or during a
load reversal as described in SI B24 14 07 and SI B26 01 06.
B. For vehicles produced from 03/2003 up to and including 08/2003:
***61601; A "clunk" noise during a 2-1 downshift while driving slowly to a rolling stop, or during a
load reversal as described in SI B24 14 07 and SI B26 01 06.
C. For vehicles produced from 09/2003 up to and including 02/2005:
***61601; A harsh 3-2 downshift when slowing to a stop
***61601; A "clunk" noise during a 2-1 downshift while driving slowly to a rolling stop, or during a
load reversal as described in SI B24 14 07 and SI B26 01 06.
CAUSES
EGS software calibration
Driveshaft guibo coupling deterioration for "clunk" noise complaints

CORRECTION
For Situation A: Harsh downshift complaints
1. Verify that the transmission fluid level is correct.
2. Perform a "Short test" and correct all Drivetrain-related faults first.
3. If the vehicle integration level (vehicle data status) is E065-07-03-800 or less, reprogram the
vehicle using the latest version of Progman to E065-07-09-800 or higher.
4. Clear the EGS adaptations after programming is completed.
5. If after reprogramming, harsh downshifts are still felt, submit a regular PuMA case entitled "ZF
shift quality". To be processed, the case must include ALL information listed in SI B24 23 07.
For "clunk" noise complaints in vehicles produced from 10/2002 up to and including 02/2003, inspect
the driveshaft guibo coupling for deterioration or separation as described in SI B24 14 07.
For Situation B: "Clunk" noise complaints
1. Verify the complaint.
On vehicles produced from 03/2003 up to and including 08/2003, the only repair is to inspect the
driveshaft guibo coupling for deterioration or separation as described in SI B24 14 07.
Note:
There are no further EGS software changes for vehicles in this production period.
For Situation C: Harsh 3-2 downshift complaints
1. Verify that the transmission fluid level is correct.
2. Perform a "Short test" and correct all Drivetrain-related faults first.
3. Submit a Puma case entitled "Urban Program" to obtain the access code needed to complete the
retrofit reprogramming of the EGS module.
4. Start a programming session using the latest version of Progman and select "Urban Program"
from the retrofit options menu. The measures plan should indicate a higher programmed number
and an EGS calibration change.
5. Clear the EGS adaptations after the programming is completed.
For "clunk" noise complaints in vehicles produced from 09/2003 up to and including 02/2005, inspect
the driveshaft guibo coupling for deterioration or separation as described in SI B24 14 07.
+1 Wilson, but does all this mean, u have to go to dealer? Looks like Astronaut training, I would fail, send him home immediately.
__________________
05 745I 58K
88 735-gone 288K
80 320 gone 300K
76 280Z 2+2 RIP 325K
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-16-2009, 09:23 PM
wilson009's Avatar
wilson009 wilson009 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Buckeye Country (Cincy)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 440
Mein Auto: 2002 745i 116k
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz1 View Post
+1 Wilson, but does all this mean, u have to go to dealer? Looks like Astronaut training, I would fail, send him home immediately.

I'm not sure... It looks like it could just be the module that needs to be reprogrammed step one. If that doesn't work they look at the mechanical function in the driveshaft. Guibo...

So if you wanted to avoid a dealer trip you could inspect the guibo first;

"BMW's have a unique driveshaft mounting system called a Guibo coupling. It is essentially a big rubber disc holding the parts of the driveshaft together. It's not uncommon for the coupling to wear out over time. If you hear a clunking sound from underneath the car as you accelerate, chances are, the coupling may be bad."


However I can't find anything on the driveshaft even remotely called a guibo on realoem..

also called a hardy disc

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=2792262
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-17-2009, 03:15 AM
Seven11's Avatar
Seven11 Seven11 is offline
President
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,930
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz1 View Post
+1 Wilson, but does all this mean, u have to go to dealer? Looks like Astronaut training, I would fail, send him home immediately.
funny guy!

i enjoy reading your posts
__________________

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-17-2009, 11:10 AM
JHouston04745LI JHouston04745LI is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: BMW
I swear the problem is in 5th gear only not 1 2 3 4 or 6 5th not just a clunk sound but a jolt like someone is puting on the break "tapping the break" help!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-17-2009, 12:11 PM
haz1's Avatar
haz1 haz1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cal/USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 560
Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven11 View Post
funny guy!

i enjoy reading your posts
+1, Right on, thanks!, +1 Wilson, start with the Guibo! Seems like some of these trannys turn off and on at some point, maybe driving off a curb at about 50 may whack it back in place to work right.
__________________
05 745I 58K
88 735-gone 288K
80 320 gone 300K
76 280Z 2+2 RIP 325K
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-17-2009, 12:32 PM
JHouston04745LI JHouston04745LI is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: BMW
Dudeski.... Really....?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Lugn Lugn is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: WI
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
Mein Auto: 2006 750 Li
Are you sure it is from the transmission? If you put your car in park and rev it slowly through the affected range, do you feel the engine hesitate?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-18-2009, 06:05 AM
JHouston04745LI JHouston04745LI is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: BMW
I have driven the car through the range of rpm's from 0100 to redline in gears 1-4 while driven but not really slowly in park.... if it was the engine would in be in every gear??? I well do slow rev. test today..... I call ammco Trans place in town becasue they came highly req. but they say its free for diao. but we shall see I have heard bad stuff about trans shops in general..... it is how I look in my car this is how I feel
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-18-2009, 08:52 AM
haz1's Avatar
haz1 haz1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cal/USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 560
Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouston04745LI View Post
I have driven the car through the range of rpm's from 0100 to redline in gears 1-4 while driven but not really slowly in park.... if it was the engine would in be in every gear??? I well do slow rev. test today..... I call ammco Trans place in town becasue they came highly req. but they say its free for diao. but we shall see I have heard bad stuff about trans shops in general..... it is how I look in my car this is how I feel
Well if its free, can't hurt. I'd be discretionary about telling them too much up front. Let them diagnose it there way. If u go in there saying, this gear is toasted and the tranny is dying, they may be making the bill out while your in the waiting room. Another approach is google your tranny type and see what it would cost for brand new one and compare it to repair cost, who knows.
__________________
05 745I 58K
88 735-gone 288K
80 320 gone 300K
76 280Z 2+2 RIP 325K
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Simpsonblake28 Simpsonblake28 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: Bmw 745 li
@jhouston. Did you ever find the solution to your hiccup problem? I am having the exact same problems!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms