Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 528i
BMW traction control is da bomb!

Who says these cars won't go in snow? Yeah, fatter lower profile tyres designed for long ride and quiet aren't exactly going to be great, but the car was going up steep hills from a sharp turn and the light pretty jmuch never lit up. I deliberately would stick it on a hill, and filter through no traction control, to the middle, to using it. Yes, it truly makes a difference, without interfering horribly like on so many other cars. If the car started to wiggle sideways up the hill, it would catch itself. Pretty amazing, and definitely a temptation for lazy driving.

On chop after plowing, it struggles more.

The interesting thing is the car does wiggle a bit more along the center axis than my Volvos of yore. I used to joke about the 245 being a lead sled. You could go, but not stop. This car you stop, but it's a bit more wormy to get going. Take off the traction control,and let it spin, and it will want to keep spinning, like my big dually. If BluHilda gets away though, she comes back FAST.

But whatever she does, it does in this perfectly balanced way around the center axis of the car.

I will go ahead and mount the winter wheels later tomorrow, after playing around.

I found myself foaming at the sillies in their little plonking SUVs with their FWD moving at 2MPH. Oh COME ON. If thyat's how slow you are driving, just park it and walk. You can't get up hills like that. Blu Hilda wanted to swallow them.

Last edited by Caesonia; 02-16-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2015, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E60 530XI
Did you, like, just get snow?
Old 02-16-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_ View Post
Did you, like, just get snow?
Weather in my region has been averaging 5 below normal, often bitter cold, and while it snowed in November, the ground was so warm it didn't stick. In spite of that cold, it's pretty much been a dry slot; miserable, cold, and windy, frozen water troughs and frost heaves, but...no snow. I was also working - ie on planes constantly - from early November through the middle of Jan.

Now, finally, in spite of missing every storm somehow, snow is falling.

I was beginning to regret taking some time to keep things regional this part of winter, compared to last year. OK, I didn't cry about working in hawaii for 3 weeks last Jan, and in London later, but...

I was expecting a much snowier winter this year, and only the crappy cold materialized. I deliberately kept the winter wheels off to see what the car did, and then compare. They are little worn ContiTouringContacts, but they are like my MIchelins always were, great rides but cruddy in snow. I left that for the Hakkas.

Last edited by Caesonia; 02-16-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 98 540 6sp, 87 Audi quatt
Darn, I'm here in the NW and not only we are not getting any snow, but we are breaking heat records, flowers and trees are blooming and ski resorts have closed because of no snow. But last year, when we got a little, my Contis DWS only allowed me on flat streets, inclines ok as long as I did not stop. But we also get the wet heavy snow when we do, and that sucks
Old 02-17-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupBquattro View Post
Darn, I'm here in the NW and not only we are not getting any snow, but we are breaking heat records, flowers and trees are blooming and ski resorts have closed because of no snow. But last year, when we got a little, my Contis DWS only allowed me on flat streets, inclines ok as long as I did not stop. But we also get the wet heavy snow when we do, and that sucks
Heavy wet stuff is the worst. I got buried a bit once last night, and that's when I had some real trouble. Thought I was going to have to shovel before too long. Deep plowed up mush. The car wormed out though. Winter wheels go on Thursday Am early.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xiT
Jeez... my 530xiT AWD wagon with Conti DWS has been fine in our NY snow. Worst that happened is when I backed into the driveway before shovelling, and sucked up a bunch of snow and ice with the bellypan in reverse. I had chunks of ice under the radiator for weeks... amazing how it didn't melt away being that close to the engine. Many -F mornings the car has just started up.. slowly, but starts.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:11 PM

I don`t know how you guys can stand all seasons in winter. We got dumped on in november and I was crying for some winter tires. I can`t live without them.

Just another day in the neighbourhood...

-27 C, new battery from october. For those not familiar with it, when it gets cold enough the grease in the cabin fans gets squeaky. Perfectly normal for starts below -15 C

Last edited by Kurt_; 02-17-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toga94m View Post
Jeez... my 530xiT AWD wagon with Conti DWS has been fine in our NY snow. Worst that happened is when I backed into the driveway before shovelling, and sucked up a bunch of snow and ice with the bellypan in reverse. I had chunks of ice under the radiator for weeks... amazing how it didn't melt away being that close to the engine. Many -F mornings the car has just started up.. slowly, but starts.
There is a big difference between the slop that the coasts get, and the stuff that falls at 15 degrees. The closer to freezing you are, the more slippery it is. Spin once, and it turns to ice with a film of water on top. I have struggled to get going at 32 degrees on all seasons, on a fairly flat surface but last night, the car did very well in 6-7 inches of the cold stuff. Only plowed up wet churn with ice underneath did I find myself in trouble. It would have been fine with winters.

I suspect our washington state friend is experiencing something similar.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xiT
Kurt - how's the terrain where you're at? We're fairly flat where I live so all-seasons are good enough, but I know Montreal (3 hours north) requires snowtires by law in the winter. And yeah, my cabin fans are pretty sad when it gets cold. We've been around 0F all week for morning starts.

Last edited by toga94m; 02-17-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:37 PM

Well, I'm on the (niagara) escarpment, so it's a combination of flat roads, rolling hills, steep hills, and back roads. Flat or not it is such an advantage to have winters. Nothing quite like passing those poor saps in snow storms with FWD, RWD, and/or all seasons/summers.

Just the other week I drove through a foot and a half of snow to get to work. If I had my all seasons on, I would have been stuck and had to have stayed home...

Last edited by Kurt_; 02-17-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: 98 540 6sp, 87 Audi quatt
Our weather patterns are such that we rarely get snow in the lowlands. Doesn't mean it's not cold. First, Kurt sends us the cold air from the North, dry freezing 15F. That's when my car freezes solid. Last December I ended up with the door handle breaking. After the door is open, although there are no visible signs of ice, I am not able to close it, the latch maybe, it feels like something is caught in between the door the the sill, but there isn't. After a week of freezing, the clouds come from Hawaii with warm rain, so the freeze is over. There are times though when the Hawaiian front is not too strong and can't warm us up too much; that's when the fun begins. The rain freezes on the already cold streets, then wet snow falls over that, and it makes for really difficult driving. Not much, but one inch of wet snow over a solid sheet of ice is enough to create havoc on streets, especially on the steep hills. You see clips on youtube that are making fun of Seattle drivers, but those folks have no idea what it's like on those 30 degree hills of ice rinks. Unless equipped with good snows, even awd cars have issues. Studded tires are allowed here for this reason. Of course on days like these I do not venture out with the 540, that's what my quattro is for. I have a set of rims with studded tires, that help with the braking and turning. One year I was lazy and stayed with the all seasons, and I was spinning all four in fifth gear at 50 mph on the freeway. And whole traffic was moving at that speed, I thought if anyone loses it, there's no way to brake, nowhere to escape since we were between concrete barriers. Nothing happened, but I prefer to go out at night when there's no traffic so I can play as much as I want. And if I had to choose, (and assume the road closed especially for me), I'd like to do the Vancouver-Whistler road in my 540 with studs on, some really nice long drifting there, or in VA in my quattro doing the rollercoaster hills in Oak Hill- like rally Finland
Old 02-18-2015, 12:41 AM

Mein Auto: e30, e60, R1100S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesonia View Post
Who says these cars won't go in snow? Yeah, fatter lower profile tyres designed for long ride and quiet aren't exactly going to be great, but the car was going up steep hills from a sharp turn and the light pretty jmuch never lit up. I deliberately would stick it on a hill, and filter through no traction control, to the middle, to using it. Yes, it truly makes a difference, without interfering horribly like on so many other cars. If the car started to wiggle sideways up the hill, it would catch itself. Pretty amazing, and definitely a temptation for lazy driving.

On chop after plowing, it struggles more.

The interesting thing is the car does wiggle a bit more along the center axis than my Volvos of yore. I used to joke about the 245 being a lead sled. You could go, but not stop. This car you stop, but it's a bit more wormy to get going. Take off the traction control,and let it spin, and it will want to keep spinning, like my big dually. If BluHilda gets away though, she comes back FAST.

But whatever she does, it does in this perfectly balanced way around the center axis of the car.

I will go ahead and mount the winter wheels later tomorrow, after playing around.

I found myself foaming at the sillies in their little plonking SUVs with their FWD moving at 2MPH. Oh COME ON. If thyat's how slow you are driving, just park it and walk. You can't get up hills like that. Blu Hilda wanted to swallow them.

I hear you, and I'ma let you finish, but this is how you winter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNoo View Post
Although I have nothing scientific to say, I can confidently say that it works.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: 05 545i
i thought my 545i would be **** in snow, but it's almost as good as my 325xi. I've had no problems getting though the PA snow this year. It does wiggle a bit starting out, but has never failed to climb my hills to get me to work.

I do prefer the 325xi for being more sure footed. Both run all season tires. Imagine with snow tires I could really plow through.

Great cars in snow if you know how to drive.

jjp
Old 02-18-2015, 04:12 AM

And if you don't know how to drive, bmw's awd nannies will drive for you. Honestly, it's a bit annoying at times, since countersteering messes up the system unless you turn it off. Point the wheel where you want to go and the car does the rest.