Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325i
how to remove engine cover on a 2005 325i E46

Hi everyone.
Does anyone know or have any links on how to remove the engine cover on a 2005 325i E46? The purpose is to change out the spark plugs. I tried looking at the wiki but it looks like the car being used as an example is of an older model late 90s early 2000, and the engine cover I have on my bimmer doesn't have 4 holes/plates to unscrew the top.
Thanks.

Last edited by duckyfresh; 12-17-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo in sentence
Ads by Google
Old 12-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Hm.

This is a good one:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65380

EDIT I find it odd you did not find what you were looking for in the wiki, there are five DIY links there including the video by Solidjake.

EDIT 2 - PS Welcome to the 'fest!

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 12-17-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:41 PM
* BLONDETOURAGE 2010*

Send a message via AIM to Missmodena310
Mein Auto: BMW
welcome aboard!!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 AM

hey what's up wingspan?
thanks for the link. i did have a chance to look at the 5 DIY links under the spark plug replacement section of the wiki. btw, that information is very helpful. the problem i'm having is that the newer e46 models don't have the four piece bolts which holds down the engine cover to the engine. and on top of that, the engine cover i have is a one piece cover, not two.
i'll work on it this weekend, i'm sure i'll figure it out soon enough once i remove the back filtration unit.
thanks for the welcome wingspan and missmodena310.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Ummm....it would be an idea to post a picture of your engine...if you have a 325i 2005...you almost certainly have an M54 engine with a two piece cover...the left hand of which covers the spark plugs...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...72&hg=11&fg=15

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:20 AM

I figured it out. The procedure is the same when removing the cabin micro filter on all E46 models. Once that is removed, the engine cover is removed by simply pulling up on the cover from the the 4 snap-on pins which holds it down to the engine. The early E46 models have screws which screws down the cover to the engine. My 325i model doesn't have the screws which made it a lot more easier to remove the cover.
There are two ground wires which I also had to unscrew and placed electric tape over. After that the procedure to remove the coil and spark plug was pretty straight forward.