Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5d
2010 X5 diesel engine malfunction error

Was driving the new X5 diesel on the highway with only 760 miles on it. During mild acceleration, I got an error messange that engine power was being reduced due to engine malfunction. After 10 seconds, the warning disappeared and never returned during the trip home. Has anyone experienced this. Should it warrant a trip back to the dealer?
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Someone on one of the other forums posted about this error. I've never seen it on mine. Post over on x post, I'm sure someone will answer your question.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e70-forum/

Craig
Old 12-19-2009, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5d
I got the same message a couple months ago, at 5000 miles. I think there are two options for the problem. If it goes away and doesnt come back, you probably got an air bubble in the fuel line from running the tank too low. Nothing to worry about. The other option is a bad fuel pump. This is what they determined my problem to be after an hour or so at the dealer. There has been quite people on xoutpost with the same issue.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
It may have to do with that intermittant diesel blow off per the owners manual which states this occasional burn off may reduce performance for a short period...
Old 12-19-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX555 View Post
It may have to do with that intermittant diesel blow off per the owners manual which states this occasional burn off may reduce performance for a short period...
No it doesn't have anything to do with the burn off. I haven't noticed any loss of power, but have smelled the burn off when i've parked in my garage at home.

Craig
Old 12-19-2009, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
No it doesn't have anything to do with the burn off. I haven't noticed any loss of power, but have smelled the burn off when i've parked in my garage at home.

Craig
I recall the owners manual specifically mentions brief loss of power/performance may be noticed when the burn off occurs.

In any case, there is not supposed to be a engine malfunction light so I otherwise withdraw my response.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post

Craig
I also have not experienced any loss of power but have smelled something burning in my garage right after turning off my car on a few occasions now. How frequently does this burn off occur? Initially I thought the smell had to do with the brand new engine, but then I started getting worried and popped the hood once just to take a look (don't know what I was looking for or what I would have done if I found something abnormal, but I could not resist the urge). I now have about 1200 miles on it and I just came back home and that "something is burning" smell was there again.

I had read about the burn off in the manual but for some reason never connected the burning smell with it. Are you sure this is due to that burn off?

Last edited by Marwan; 12-19-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
I also have not experienced any loss of power but have smelled something burning in my garage right after turning off my car on a few occasions now. How frequently does this burn off occur? Initially I thought the smell had to do with the brand new engine, but then I started getting worried and popped the hood once just to take a look (don't know what I was looking for or what I would have done if I found something abnormal, but I could not resist the urge). I now have about 1200 miles on it and I just came back home and that "something is burning" smell was there again.

I had read about the burn off in the manual but for some reason never connected the burning smell with it. Are you sure this is due to that burn off?
Yes, the smell is coming from the exhaust. I haven't noticed how often, but every now and then, I've had the smell. I've had mine for a year. It doesn't cause an engine malfunction light to come on. I don't notice any loss of power, but it sure smells up my garage when I shut off my car from time to time...

Craig

Last edited by Craig B; 12-19-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
I recall reading somewhere that the particulate burn-off could happen as often as every 200-300 miles, but I'm not 100% sure of that, since I cannot remember the source.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:32 PM

Thank you for your replies. I have decided to wait for the problem to declare itself with a CEL, if it truly is related to the fuel pump, before bringing it back to the dealer.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5d
The only way I've noticed the burn off is a pretty big hit on the instant mileage gage. Cruising along on the highway at 30+ mpg, all of a sudden it drops to 20 for 10-15 miles.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2diesel View Post
Was driving the new X5 diesel on the highway with only 760 miles on it. During mild acceleration, I got an error messange that engine power was being reduced due to engine malfunction. After 10 seconds, the warning disappeared and never returned during the trip home. Has anyone experienced this. Should it warrant a trip back to the dealer?
I got the exact same thing on my 2010 X5 35D when I only had 300 miles on mine. It was about ten minutes after my first fuel up. The tank was still about half full when I decided to top it off for the journey ahead. The warning appeared after a short burst of acceleration and then it went away. I was on the freeway and you can imagine, it scared the hell out of me. Any way, I followed up with the dealer, took it in and they were unable to find any logged errors. I have tried to reproduce the error by driving fast, slow, you name it. It has not happened again. Hope it helps. I have about 1200 miles on the car now.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand View Post
I followed up with the dealer, took it in and they were unable to find any logged errors. .

That's really surprising...Personally, I don't trust dealers, but I suppose it is possible.

I'd still want a dump of the DME and look at every code.

A
Old 12-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Yes, please!

Mein Auto: 318ti Clubsport
It's probably a good idea to at least have the fault code checked.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:24 PM

I have since added another 400 miles to the X5 without a problem.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
I have an X5 diesel and it has been in the shop 3 times with exhaust fluid reservoir problems. I also got the engine malfunction problem and had to have the internal control unit replaced when it was less than 6 months old. Today while driving, the car jerked and the engine malfunction...power reduced message came on and the car would jerk and not accelerate. I had to have it towed to the dealer. I am really, really tired of the problem with this car, I don't trust it anymore.