Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-20-2016, 03:15 AM

Mein Auto: e21
Trans Problem.

Hi,
I have a 2001 x5, 139k. Can anyone help,
Having a tranny problem. One day with no warning the car went into transfailsafe.
It then lagged for a few miles. Now its not going into gear. I took it to the shop they claimed its the tranny. It's starts fine , when you shift through the gears you get nothing, it gets stuck in M5 sometimes if you shift it up. When you shut it off and back. On the gears on the dash move again???. Tried failsafe reset, nothing..
And thought?
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2016, 06:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x5
first stop..
check fluid level
Old 08-22-2016, 07:41 AM

i did it was ok ... and i changed it too with the filter. :/

whats next?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:57 AM

you have 139k
what milage was the change done
Old 08-22-2016, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0 and 2006 750L
Trans problem

Is your ABS light on? Sometimes a bad ABS module can cause your transmission go into failsafe mode.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:13 AM

i think the problem is inside the trans itself. when i turn on the car 1st 2 3 minutes the trans is ok then start to slip on 1st gear then 2nd gear 3rd 4th and then the trans failsafe prog pops on
Old 08-28-2016, 07:20 AM

is it 3.0 or 4.4. and is it (USA)left or right hand drive
and do you have any codes.

i dont know when the tranny fluid was changed
or why
but do make sure it was / is the RIGHT FLUID
this causes ALL KINDS of problems

before tearing the entire tranny down i would do this...
replace any and or all of the components in the diagrams
if there are codes GREAT that should lead you to the EXACT issue
if not then trial and and more trials would be next... hate to say errors

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=24_0938 2001 3.0 (USA)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=24_0725 2001 4.4 (USA)

the housing you can usually clean and air dry the passages could have blockage

it seems like the fluid pressure is low or not flowing so
i would start at that
pressure regulators and related
the transmission oil pump maybe

also check the control unit... the computer under the hood... where the dot is
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=24_0832 2001 4.4 (USA)
eyeball it for anything out of the ordinary
unplug and use electrical lube on prongs and connectors... not overly
you never know and you could find an issue and fix it 'on your feet'
Old 08-29-2016, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
If you need to play around with the gear shift lever in order to make the display show the gear, you could have a bad gear selector switch also known as a neutral safety switch.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayasdan View Post
Hi,
I have a 2001 x5, 139k. Can anyone help,
Having a tranny problem. One day with no warning the car went into transfailsafe.
It then lagged for a few miles. Now its not going into gear. I took it to the shop they claimed its the tranny. It's starts fine , when you shift through the gears you get nothing, it gets stuck in M5 sometimes if you shift it up. When you shut it off and back. On the gears on the dash move again???. Tried failsafe reset, nothing..
And thought?
reset trans computer by turning key to on, push gas pedal down, hold for 30 seconds, let off, wait 10 seconds, push brake for 10 seconds, let off, wait 10 seconds, turn off key, restart car. Hope it was that easy, it was on my 03.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermandson View Post
reset trans computer by turning key to on, push gas pedal down, hold for 30 seconds, let off, wait 10 seconds, push brake for 10 seconds, let off, wait 10 seconds, turn off key, restart car. Hope it was that easy, it was on my 03.
Assuming you have ZF 6 speed transmission. (There are also GM transmission in use) which may behave different
Nobody believes in this "reset" anymore. Not sure who came with this process first and it propagated through the internet... I have asked BMW service guys and they are not aware of it..
If you can reset anything by doing this is a transmission shifting memory (to do it it is better to disconnect battery) This transmission has 4 shifting tables - 2 for "normal" and 2 for Sport mode. What it does is "learns" your driving habits (or how "heavy" your gas foot is ) and adjust shift RPM for more economical vs aggressive type of driving.. This won't cure any of the transmission shifting issues.

Transmission can be reset using BMW compatible computer and this process is known as "transmission adaptation reset" - unless you have proper equipment, this is BMW shop level thing.
You should do it after transmission service. Transmission computer is constantly modifying the shifting timing based on temperature, fluid age, quality and pressures registered inside - as this changes when fluid ages and gets contaminated. If fluid get dirty enough it blocks passages and it just can not shift anymore.
IF new fluid will clear passages and restore operation this "adaptation" needs to be reset.
IF you catch the early signs of poor shifting - service and adaptation reset may help but if it is bad it usually require transmission expensive rebuild...

The only hope is to service transmission (which is not cheap) - replace fluid, filter and couple internal seals. Ideally would be to flush transmission (replace 100% fluid) as std drain and refill replaces only small portion of fluid since most of it seats in torque converter and it ca not be drain w/o taking converter apart or using different techniques (connecting special equipment between transmission and fluid cooler than catch old one as pump pushes it out to the cooler and push clean back to tranny
).
Unfortunately BMW recommendation not to service transmission and most people and services just follow that which kills it prematurely.(ZF- tranny manuf recommends service in 60-70k miles intervals and so are the other users of the same transmission like Jaguar, Maserati, Hyundai Genesis etc)

Last edited by Porando; 09-25-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:15 AM

Mein Auto: X5/525/325
I am suspecting the solenoids inside the tranny are failing. I have this handheld scanner and pinpoint which solenoid is the culprit. It's Foxwell NT510, its made for BMW and MINI. Could you check the battery voltage during charging, sometimes under voltage or over voltage make it trip the trans fail.

Last edited by Alika808; 09-27-2016 at 03:16 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old 09-27-2016, 03:19 AM

Mein Auto: X5/525/325
Also, this scanner (NT510) have the capability to do the Transmission Value Adaptation.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 730Li, E66
I have tried this. This only resets the throttle for a little while and you feel that there is more power in the acceleration. However, it soon adjusts itself to your driving style. Transmission reset requires comuter software like the INPA or ICOM
Old 10-24-2016, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto:
My x with 126k had been in trans fail safe mode for about two weeks now. Then about a week and a half ago abs, brake, dsc, and CEL all came on. So can the abs module be the culprit for the Transfail mode as well? Thanks
Old 10-25-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFPerez View Post
My x with 126k had been in trans fail safe mode for about two weeks now. Then about a week and a half ago abs, brake, dsc, and CEL all came on. So can the abs module be the culprit for the Transfail mode as well? Thanks

Did your trans failsafe go wway after a restart? I had the ABS, DSC and CEL all go off at the same time. It was the ABS/DSC control module. Before I managed to change the ABS control module, failed alternator symptoms occurred. Symptoms included poor transmission shifting and erratic RPM, which was followed by transmission failsafe. I knew I had a bad alternator and changed it. It fixed the trans failsafe. However the ABS, DCS and CEL issue was only resolved by changing the ABS control module. This is an easy DIY as long as you are careful. My module arrived in 6 weeks from Germany and took about 30 mins to be installed. The module is located next to the engine, right side on the M54 engine.

The ABS module is not the culprit for trans failsafe but the alternator could be. I would check the alternator first. If that's clear then look at the module. I think it's the alternator or battery based on what you're saying.

Last edited by ELawrence; 10-25-2016 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Adding more information
Old 10-25-2016, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto:
I doubt its the battery because I just got a new one off warranty
Old 10-25-2016, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto:
I have a bluetooth transmitter which gives me the voltage of the battery while off and it reads 12.3v
Old 10-25-2016, 09:03 PM

That's normal battery voltage. Same thing on my car. Check the alternator next with the car running of course. If you get readings that fluctuate a lot then the alternator is suspect.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search