Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to m5james Send a message via MSN to m5james Send a message via Yahoo to m5james
Mein Auto: 98 740iL - Tweaked a bit
The dealership or a junkyard.

325hp 98 740iL, black/black - Eatin 540's & $hittin 318's
PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd conv., Iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated pistons, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminum heatshield, Magnaflow 14816'd
INTERIOR:
Hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D, silver trim, 5% tint
EXTERIOR:19" Beyern Mesh staggered, Shadowline kidneys, Axxis pads
01 X5 4.4 - F90BT, L5
Old 02-07-2010, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 98M3,03X5,03530i
Paul, really? c'mon. Dealer, junkyard, saran wrap with a rubber band. Haha just kiddin! Your fix is much easier than the oil separator issue that most are dealing with. Count your blessings!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4
Currently, I have aluminium foil (or aluminum foil in USA language) attached with an elastic band. It works great but my wife says it will not add to the resale value.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to m5james Send a message via MSN to m5james Send a message via Yahoo to m5james
You can buy adhesive backed 1" and up aluminum tape from home improvement stores in the heating/airconditioning department. It's used for ducting seams, and sticks nicely. After reading threads and seeing pics of people wrapping their intake tubing w/ this tape, I did the same thing in my 740iL.

PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd conv., Iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated pistons, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminum heatshield, Magnaflow 14816'd
INTERIOR:
Hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D, silver trim, 5% tint
01 X5 4.4 - F90BT, L5
Old 02-10-2010, 01:50 AM

Mein Auto: X5 '02, M3 '88
I took my car to the dealer this morning. I said that everything was changed 1,5 months ago, but I still get oil in the intake.
A hour later they called me that this is a common problem and there is nothing they can do. They suggested to put Webasto insulation to the pipes, but said its only a partial solution.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:16 AM

At least he was honest. Killcrap from here and the other forums said the same thing. Webasto makes an intake heater for the N62....at the cost of around $3500!! The fact that BMW designed and engineeered this instead of making a better OSV/CCV really makes me wonder WTF they're doing over there.

INTERIOR:
01 X5 4.4 - F90BT, L5
Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 AM
E30 Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to kishg
Mein Auto: too many bmws
same issue popped on on my 2005 3.0 e53. oil level ran low in june and dealer replaced the oil separator under cpo. level ran low again last week and now i see sludge buildup under the cap. now morristown bmw says its normal and that burning oil is normal. do they think we are idiots? they topped it off and overfilled the oil level now. idiots. it's still under cpo else i would simply replace the separator again preemptively. going to call NA and take it to a different dealer.
'91 SpecE30 #523
'03 540i/6 M-Sport
'00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle
BMWCCA #360858 NASA #
My Track Schedule
Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1200 View Post
I just bought a 2005 X5 4.8is with only 38k.
I love this vehicle. It is everything I imagined it would be.
A friend of mine has me worried now.
He told me that the X5's are famous for the dreaded oil separator failure in cold winter weather.
Can someone tell me if this is a problem found on older X5's or is mine subject to this too?
What can I do to ensure this doesn't happen to me?
I do live in a cold winter area and will often drive in sub freezing temps.
All advice on this one is much appreciated.
Thanks,
John.
I think it's only inline sixes
Old 02-12-2010, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: X5
So here is my story. I live in downstate NY and for the last several weeks we've been experiencing a cold snap (low 20's and teens) and two weeks ago my 2003 BMW X5 with 51,535 miles on it simply would not start. I thought it initially was an electrical issue, however upon changing the battery, pulling all fuses and checking all connections, I could not get my vehicle started.

I ended up getting the vehicle towed to BMW and received the diagnosis that the CCV valve "froze" in the open position and sucked oil into my engine, causing it to hydrolock. The estimate to repair this damage (drain engine of oil, replace hoses and plugs, etc) is $2,150 and there's no guarantee that there is no engine damage.

I called BMWNA and spoke to an extremely unhelpful and unpersonable rep there ( Nate Grimash at ext. 7744 ) and after a full week or so of playing phone tag (mostly me calling him), he informed me that BMWNA will not assist me in any way as my X5 is just over 1,000 miles out of warranty. I requested some "goodwill" assistance from BMWNA (a warranty labor rate as opposed to retail or some help with the parts) and was flatly refused. I was told "things like this happen". I have never been so disappointed in a car manufacturer before and will most likely sell this X5 after the repair and go to another brand.

While I understand the vehicle is out of warranty (by a little over 1 thousand miles) and the CCV valve failure is due partly to weather and partly to wear, there is a definite design flaw in this vehicle. Plain and simple. I've spoken with BMW techs who have seen dozens of these problems and it all could have been avoided for an inexpensive fix.

I am equally amazed that this vehicle is prone to this type of failure due to short trips in cold weather. There is a Technical Services Bulletin (TSB 11 08 03) that deals with a fix for this issue (heated vent lines), however I was never informed of this issue and I don't believe many owners were. Isn't a cold weather package SAV designed for cold weather use? Should I move South to avoid this issue? How many BMW's are there in cold weather climes that have experienced this problem? I bet they are in the thousands. Class action time.

I've spoken with several BMW techs in my area and there are a plethora of X5's that have been coming into local dealerships for this repair in recent weeks in the New York area. I've also done no small amount of research on this issue and have found that this problem is rampant in the X-5. How BMWNA can market a vehicle (SAV with the cold weather package!) in the NE that is prone to such a catastrophic failure due to, ostensibly, COLD WEATHER is beyond my comprehension. I was essentially informed that, in order to avoid this problem, I would have to drive the car for approximately 15-20 minutes each time. This is sheer lunacy. My vehicle had zero warning signs (regular oil changes, no warning puffs of smoke, no idling issues, no oil loss, etc) and simply siezed up on me.

There is some talk about litigation (class action) for this issue and I'd like to learn if anyone has pursued this. I work in NYC and handle litigation for a business and would love to see this pursued if meritorious. I have a hard time believing that such a well-engineered machine is prone to catastrophic failure due to, ostensibly, cold weather, repeated short trips and a valve.

My dealership is being conciliatory, however even a few bucks off will result in a $2k bill for me. I've been driving BMWs for years and realize that repairs (and sometimes expensive repairs) come hand in hand with BMW ownership, but the fact that a $50 valve failed due to a condition that BMW was WELL aware of and refused to address, resulting in a $2k bill to me, is unimagineable.

My faith in BMW is shaken. I did not even mention to BMWNA the gas pedal that broke 400 miles out of warranty that I paid for, the radio button that broke 600 miles out of warranty that I was quoted $450 to fix and the folding mirrors that failed 700 miles out of warranty that I haven't had the heart to get a quote on.

Class action suit? Perhaps. Feel free to share your oil separator/CCV valve horror story and if you were successful in getting BMWNA or your dealership to help.

Brendan
Old 02-12-2010, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Here's a start if you're thinking of a class action lawsuit. I have no knowledge of these people and they might be crooks for all I know, but there seems to be some good general information about class action lawsuits there:

http://www.classactionconnect.com/?q=node/669
Old 02-13-2010, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: X5
bravomike,

my story is almost exactly the same as yours (posted initially a week or so ago). 2003 BMW-only-maintained X5, but with 80K miles, cold weather snap in VA, car refusing to start (thankfully after only getting a few feet out of the driveway). car towed and diagnosed at a non-BMW garage as hyrdolock due to CCV valve frozen. i too was dissed by BMWNA initially, but after moving car to the dealer, it seems the dealer is hinting about replacing CCV and dipstick tube for free as long as i pay the labor for it, a new valve cover gasket, new plugs, new oil, and oil cleanup fees.

i have no idea what the other fees will come to, but i think the parts are $400ish. any help from BMW is acceptable, but on the fence on how to feel about his overall. lucky that it didn't happen 500 miles from the house, lucky i wasn't pulling my trailer, lucky it appears the engine is oil soaked but ok? i know that it is lucky overall, but i also have no confidence in the car and the company now after seeing the rash of similar complaints on similar cars at the same time of the year...every year!

it wasn't "luck" that led me to choose this car in the first place...it was my impression of a superior product. now it just feels like poor choice compounded with bad luck.

in light of Toyota's recent problems, it seems that BMW would want to avoid any impression of a mysterious but commonplace fault that can leave customers stranded or in danger depending on where the fault arises. We're just the few squeaky wheels, venting here on a forum. How many other squeaky wheels are out there with no place to vent and no way to add their voice to what seems like a growing chorus? how do we get onto BMW's customer service concern list? send this link to some MSM media as a anonymous tip?
Old 02-13-2010, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
This law firm specializes in class action law suits http://chimicles.com/
Old 02-14-2010, 11:06 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Well I just watched my BMW X5 being towed away for the 4th time for the oil separater problem. Each time in the shop it is 'this is the right fix'! We'll see. I came across this site as I was looking for new cars! I am so afraid to start my car and have no trust in it. Each time I start it I have to say a prayer and hold my breath that it will not have a big black smoke ball if the temp is below 20 degrees. Although it is below zero today, the other 2 cars in the garage had no problems. A saturn with 150000 miles on it and a Jeep. Makes me wonder. I have spent more money on keeping this car on the road that I refuse to do it any longer. Once I get it running, it is gone and I will never get another BMW. I saved my whole life to get this car and now am slowly going into the poor house from the repairs. Although BMW has been wonderful and have acknowledged this issue and has worked with me, I cannot continue to put good money into a bad product. Very sad as I love it when it is running! In reading the other posts it states to drive it around and don't take it on short trips.....I don't think a car that costs this much I should have to be so selective in where I drive it to, or drive around for an hour before I go to the grocery store. I would think that I would get more reliability than a 6 year old saturn way past its prime. The fact that I have to keep the saturn as a backup because I never know when my BMW will work is really wrong! Sorry BMW!
I feel the same way... I do a prayer everytime I start my car, and I feel teh car can pretty much die or blow up on me or something while driving. I lost all faith in my car lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwolfe1 View Post
mujjuman--how do you know that the CCV is "bad"?
well mine made funny noises. also, my intake was full of oil and i was burning a quart of oil ever 3 days
Old 02-16-2010, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5
Angry Another failed oil separator

Had the same problem here in Virginia during last weeks "snowmageddon". This is a perfectly maintained 2001 X5 w/79,000 mi. Started it up, but noticed a noxious cloud of thick smoke. Shut it down, and that was it. Had it towed to the dealer and they seemed surprised. Now I find it's a common problem. Cost me $1,435.74, plus, of course, major inconvenience at a time when I really needed a dependable vehicle. My *1993* Isuzu Rodeo, which I just keep for sentimental value and short trips, surprisingly fulfilled the mission. Now I'm totally shaken and confused. Was right on the verge of buying a new Beemer, but not now. The only good thing was that it happened in my driveway, and not on the open road.

Questions: 1- Is BMW taking any responsibility for this? I know I have an older vehicle, but I bought it for BMW's legendary dependability and longevity - and yes, especially in cold conditions. 2 - Can this re-occur? If so, I'll never be comfortable driving it. 3 - Does it affect all models? Should I even consider another BMW? 4 - What do I do with the X5 now? Keep it and hope for the best?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
I think it's only inline sixes
It's not only isolated to I6's at all. I hate when misinformation like this gets spread around, giving a false sense of security! You will find oil seperator issues all over Xoutpost.com, and these same problems have been happening for years on the 5 and 7 forums as well. The cold weather and condensation causes them to split...park inside people!

INTERIOR:
01 X5 4.4 - F90BT, L5
Old 02-16-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwood View Post
I bought it for BMW's legendary dependability and longevity
Ive NEVER seen these words used all together in once sentence when speaking of BMW's, yet I own 3...gluten for punishment I guess. BMW's reliability has tanked in exchange for bean counters and lease owners who dump the vehicle and all their problems after their leases are up. After that, we're all on our own...even CPO's are getting the shaft.

INTERIOR:
01 X5 4.4 - F90BT, L5
Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwood View Post
I bought it for BMW's legendary dependability and longevity

That must be an old legend. While BMW Motorcycles have had a reputation for long-life, I've never heard BMW autos mentioned as being particularly reliable or long-lived.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5
Of course you have - you just haven't been paying attention to those glossy brochures they hand out at the dealer.

And I did grapple with the ethical implications of dumping my problems on someone else..................for about two seconds.

Seriously, I need a dependable vehicle, and I need to do it this weekend. Are the 3 series vehicles OK? And thanks all.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: Hummer
Afraid of oil separator issues

Im looking to purchase my first x5. Im looking at 2001 thru 2006's. Ive been reading about the oil separator problems and would like candid opinions of wether I should be looking elsewhere. If I choose to go with a used x5, what do I need to do to ensure this problem is properly dealt with?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0 Manual Trans
Oil Seperator froze, CCV valve blew

With the cold weather we have had the past two weeks in the NorthEast I have become one of the unfortunate many. On the plus side I only blew the CCV valve out. The rest of the engine runs fine. ireviewed the information on this forum and found the information OURSTANDING> Thank you all.

My story is shockingly similar: I just move here from CA, Cold snap, car sat for a few days without being driven, next time it was driven it went about 6-8 miles before: BIG black smoke cloud out the back, Someone on the forum said it was like smogging mosquitos. They were right only my smoke was almost black. Opening up the oil cap showed it was covered with the tell-tale tan sludge. Oil level was at the bottom of the acceptable range so I was able to limp home 1.5miles.

Using the info from this forum and the Service Bulletin I found at:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Au...erator0001.pdf

I went to the dealer today (Devon Hill BMW in Devon, Pa) to see what he would say. Well, he said I (actually Ya'll) was rigtht. CCV valve blew. Cost to replace with the associated hoses $810. I am now on the phone again with BMWUSA Customer Service rep who is calling the dealer's service manager on my behalf.

Customer service rep kept sayint that the Service Bulletins are not a recall. She also said the manufacturer has NO obligation to notify customers if a SB affects their vehicle. Since my vehicle was out of warranty she said she could not even escalate my issue. Bottom line is they will NOT cover the cost and all she can do is call the dealer on my behalf.

The kit the dealer is installing included the insulated/cold weather valve with an new dipstick tube, etc.

If anyone knows any other avenues to take please share.

I feel extremely sorry for the person who had this happen on the way home from the airport.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 00 323i 01 X5
Hello everybody. Talked to a dealer today about my CCV problem on my X5 and 323i. He told me to call NA and at least report it. The more calls they get, the higher the chance they might do something about this problem in the future. Reimbursements might come like they are doing with E46 subframes.
Save your receipts and hope for class action lawsuit.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:22 AM

Mein Auto: X5 '02, M3 '88
I dont see these heated or non-heated insulations helping. They are put there to deal with the results, not with the problem itself. If you have this problem, then you drive short distances frequently. A heated insulation will start to drain your battery more, which is not good with cold weather.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1200 View Post
I just bought a 2005 X5 4.8is with only 38k.
I love this vehicle. It is everything I imagined it would be.
A friend of mine has me worried now.
He told me that the X5's are famous for the dreaded oil separator failure in cold winter weather.
Can someone tell me if this is a problem found on older X5's or is mine subject to this too?
What can I do to ensure this doesn't happen to me?
I do live in a cold winter area and will often drive in sub freezing temps.
All advice on this one is much appreciated.
Thanks,
John.
I have an 03 4.4 had this issuue oil seperator faild four times now bmw as put a heating jacket around the oil seperator so we see how this works
Old 02-27-2010, 12:03 PM

yes it ca happen again so i hope your dealer gave you a two year warranty like mine did so if it happens again just take it back
Old 02-27-2010, 12:34 PM

had a conversation with a mechanic and his advice to this problem is to change the oil every two months