Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
Short lived battery

Yesterday AM I had a nearly dead battery that required a short time on a battery charger before I could start my 2007 (in service in September) Z4M. I drove directly to my dealer where they took the car into the service bays without an appointment, found the battery to be bad, and replaced it. I was out in 30- 45 minutes at no charge. Terrific service!

I live in suburban Cleveland, and the weather here has not really dropped terribly low yet... 35+ in the day. I do have a VERY short commute, but do get the car on the road to run it at least twice a week if I am not out on a ZBimmer drive.

What are thoughts re: the very short commute with butt warmer on, lights on, and heater on contributing to the battery failure? I can easily see the driving I just described pulling more amps than going in again and again, but would that cause a premature failure?

EB
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
BMW puts crap batteries in their cars that are known to fail as early as 2-3 years.

But yeah, your driving habits sound like they'd be hard on it. If your commute is only a mile or three the battery might only rarely get a good charge.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:11 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebruder View Post
Yesterday AM I had a nearly dead battery that required a short time on a battery charger before I could start my 2007 (in service in September) Z4M. I drove directly to my dealer where they took the car into the service bays without an appointment, found the battery to be bad, and replaced it. I was out in 30- 45 minutes at no charge. Terrific service!

I live in suburban Cleveland, and the weather here has not really dropped terribly low yet... 35+ in the day. I do have a VERY short commute, but do get the car on the road to run it at least twice a week if I am not out on a ZBimmer drive.

What are thoughts re: the very short commute with butt warmer on, lights on, and heater on contributing to the battery failure? I can easily see the driving I just described pulling more amps than going in again and again, but would that cause a premature failure?

EB
Didt they replace it with the black AGM battery that came with the car?
Old 12-19-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Didt they replace it with the black AGM battery that came with the car?
Ron,

I was so thrilled to be serviced so quickly, I really didn't check or probe, as I knew little about Z4M batteries. I did know enough to as the SA if they replaced it with the "glass mat" battery, and he said that they had only one in stock, and that's what they put into my MCoupe.

Do you advise me checking further, and if so, for what? In the car or on the paperwork?

EB
Old 12-19-2009, 06:54 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Ron,

I was so thrilled to be serviced so quickly, I really didn't check or probe, as I knew little about Z4M batteries. I did know enough to as the SA if they replaced it with the "glass mat" battery, and he said that they had only one in stock, and that's what they put into my MCoupe.

Do you advise me checking further, and if so, for what? In the car or on the paperwork?

EB
Just wondering if they did the right one.

Replaced part number last three is 952.

Battery from production is one less 951.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Just wondering if they did the right one.

Replaced part number last three is 952.

Battery from production is one less 951.
Ron,

The paperwork has it as 952

EB
Old 12-20-2009, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: '02 325i '03 Z4 2.5i
Battery longevity

I have an '02 325i as well as my '03 2.5l Z. I bought the 325 8 years ago-77K on the odometer and I still have the original battery! I can only believe that:
a-I got a good one
b-I check my H2O levels every 3-4 months and keep the cells filled with distilled water.

What do you think? I plan to buy a new Interstate soon, just to be sure.

Bob
Old 12-23-2009, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: '07 750i BMW; '03 Z4 BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidconti View Post
BMW puts crap batteries in their cars that are known to fail as early as 2-3 years.
My '03 still has the original battery.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob325 View Post
I have an '02 325i as well as my '03 2.5l Z. I bought the 325 8 years ago-77K on the odometer and I still have the original battery! I can only believe that:
a-I got a good one
b-I check my H2O levels every 3-4 months and keep the cells filled with distilled water.

What do you think? I plan to buy a new Interstate soon, just to be sure.

Bob
I don't really see the point in replacing a battery before it dies unless it's in a really mission-critical application. Worst-case scenario, you can always push start the car and drive it to somewhere that sells batteries.

I believe the one in my M3 lasted quite awhile, though I was the second owner of that car so it's possible it was replaced by a dealer before I bought the car...
Old 12-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: Lots of different stuff
Quote:

EB
Are you by chance running a DICE unit as an iPod interface? They have been known to kill batteries in just a few days.
'14 X1 M sport 3.5 Alpine White
'91 M5 Jet Black
'01 M3 Alpine White
Old 12-23-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynemosley View Post
Are you by chance running a DICE unit as an iPod interface? They have been known to kill batteries in just a few days.
Nope, no DICE

EB
Old 12-23-2009, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 06 Z4 si
I believe it's the lower quality of the raw materials (metal) they have been using in batteries from 2005 on. It seems that almost all manufacturers of laptops only warrant the battery for 1 year

Has outsourcing the construction of batteries and other products made it acceptable to reduce a products life cycle by half of previous like products? I am no expert and don't have time to research for supporting info but I am a consumer.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 z435i
I have an 2002 coupe with 78k and original battery AND dice unit haha.

Ron- how much is the replacement battery from the stealer?