Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition

BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition
Have an interest in BMW motorcycles or just motorcycles in general? Discuss the line of BMW motorcycles and how they may compare to the rest of the competition in this forum!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW R1100R
Fuel Injection system

Hi guys I'm new to this site and I was wondering if you could be of some help. I took a four hundred mile ride around my state on my BMW R1100R and it was great. But in the last seven miles my two brothers pipe separated from its header. The header was still attached to the end of the exhaust pipe but there was an inch gap between the pipe and header. I was on the freeway so it was hard to pull over but when i did i parked the bike and looked at the damage. I guess who ever I paid to put on the pipe was incompetent and put the rivets in, in a weird way. Thus saying it came apart. Well I field stripped it and then put it back together and it fit fine for the short ride home. But when I went to start the bike it would idle for a couple seconds then die. I tired it four or five times with no avail. So I had my riding buddy go pick up my truck and trailer.

This being said I think riding at such high speed for the short while screwed up my fuel infection. In my opinion it leaned it out so now it won't run. My question is "are there any ways of resetting or rebooting my fuel injection system or has this happened to anyone else?"
Ads by Google
Old 12-21-2009, 11:38 AM
friend of the marque

Send a message via AIM to mullman
Mein Auto: '09 MINI, '09 HD, '67 BMW
Try disconnecting the battery for 15 mins or so.
If that does not work, let it sit overnight.

Personally I would check the plugs as well, basically just out of habit - although I realize the system probably shut down the bike before serious damage would have occurred.

'09 MINI S: 'Ronin' '09 H-D Nightster '67 R60/2+'52 Steib sidecar
•previous '95 318i '00 540i6 '61 R50S '69 R69US '98 R1100R '65 R50/2 '64 R50/2 '07 BMW 530i6 ED

Last edited by mullman; 12-21-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW R1100R
I tried that but it still stalls after a couple seconds at idle.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:21 AM
On the Road!

Mein Auto: 335 E90
BMWs have a reset procedure after removing the battery. On my bike it involves switching on the ignition and then twisting the accelerator to full on and off three times.

I can't imagine any permanent damage could have been done. You could contact Two Brothers if the reset doesn't work and see what they say. Not sure if there are any servos / flaps in the system you bought or not. You say the bike won't idle - will it run under higher revs? Could the pipe be clogged up with something?

Dave.