Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4
Z4 fuel pump noise?

Original owner of 2003 BMW Z4, 2.5 liter, 5 speed, with just over 25,000 miles. Purchased at Gault AutoSport, in Endicott, New York. All service performed. Never any problems; no accidents; no abuse. Only synthetic oil and premium gas(100%gas) used. Only driver.

Just relocated from Upstate New York in October 2009, to Ocala, Florida. Car was transported via closed auto transporter from local moving company. Was in storage there for 2 weeks; added a dose of StaBil before leaving car behind.

Shortly after arrival, car started making strange noise from area seemingly below and behind seats. Noise is a whirring sound...like an electric motor. Noise apparent only during first, and maybe second start of the day. Noise is apparent when the key is moved to the "On" position; is of about 3 seconds duration. Noise disappears shortly after engine is started. If key is moved rapidly to the "start" position, noise will be apparent over the sound of the engine and will disappear within 10 to 15 seconds. Noise can be heard outside the car as well as inside. Car performs normally; no hesitation; no bad gas mileage.

Took car to local BMW dealer(BIG mistake) who said I need a new fuel pump, new fuel filter, to the tune of over $1800. Dealer did not disclose any computer "error" messages, just said I need the new parts. They offered no "Goodwill Repairs." I said "No thanks," and drove the car home.

Subsequently took car to a small, independent foreign car repair clinic. They too heard the noise upon start-up. Said fuel pressure is normal; fuel filter is OK. They suggested I bought a load of bad gas and to use Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and Fuel Injector Cleaner for two tankfuls. Currently still on first tank of gas with the Lucas product and see(hear) no changes. Car is still making that strange noise. They suggested that Florida gas is currently 10% ethanol which seems to be wreaking havoc with fuel injection. Car still performs like a BMW.

Have attempted to research the noise on the Internet but no specific help so far. Called the BMW dealer in Upstate New York who suggested that the fuel pump should not fail with so few miles on the car, but due to distance from New York, they could offer no other assistance.

Contacted BMWCCA Technical Service Advisor(on-line) who suggested to ignore the noise and live with it until something happens...don't really like that guidance.

I think the noise is not normal for a BMW or any car for that matter. Want to take care of the noise before it gets more expensive and/or strands me on some Florida turnpike in the middle of nowhere. Would like to feel confident in driving this car again.

Your suggestions, advice, etc. are most appreciated. Thank you.
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Sorry, wrong forum.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)FOR SALE(see ad on BMWCCA website)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)/PCD
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10/PCD
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Old 12-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I've moved your thread as requested. I did a search for fuel pump noise in the Z3/Z4 forum and found these threads that might help you -

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthr...uel+pump+noise

If those don't help try looking around or perhaps another member can jump in and help.

Happy Holidays,
Tim
Old 12-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Making fast faster

Mein Auto: 2006 z4M roadster
Had same problem...Try some Techron additive. Worked wonders