Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 10-01-2003, 04:36 PM
~~~~~~~~~~

Send a message via AIM to LeucX3
Mein Auto: 06 VW Jetta GLI
From 330Ci to X3 3.0?

Just wondering how crazy it would be (or I would have to be) to go from my 330Ci to an X3 3.0. While i absolutely love my car and wouldn't be doing this until next summer, it has been in the back of my mind for a couple months though.

Do i need what little utility that the X3 would provide? No. But then again, i could have done just fine with a 325Ci.
Ads by Google
Old 10-01-2003, 04:51 PM
sometimes slacks

Mein Auto: 97 Ford Taurus
Holy skepticism, batman.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leuc330Ci
Do i need what little utility that the X3 would provide? No. But then again, i could have done just fine with a 325Ci.
I don't quite understand your point here. Do you really consider an X3 an upgrade from a 330ci in the same way that a 330ci is an upgrade from a 325ci? If so, why do you think that?

The X3 will probably cost more, sure, but I doubt that it'll outperform your 330ci. In terms of handling, performance, driving enjoyment, etc., I'd be shocked if the X3 turns out to be an improvement over the 330ci. Of course, it's not out yet, so I'm just speculating. But, frankly, there's not a lot of evidence to suggest that BMW was out to do anything revolutionary with the X3. It's simply a "me too" product, a belated entry into the small sport ute field. Heck, BMW isn't even bothering to build the thing itself. They contracted out manufacturing of the X3 to a company in Austria that builds Jeeps and minivans for Daimler-Chrysler.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:22 AM
IRIX Rocks!

Send a message via Yahoo to dlloyd1975
Mein Auto: 325iT Schlampenschlepper
What about a 325iT? I've found that I could fit 90% of the stuff that I'd use the pickup for into the shaggin' wagon. The only thing that it really lacks is height, which I suppose the X3 would provide.

The Shaggin' Wagon
2003 Gray Green 325iT, PP, SP, CW, HK, Sand 'Ette
Old 10-02-2003, 09:08 AM
~~~~~~~~~~

No, i don't consider the X3 an upgrade, it's a totally different beast than a Ci. I would stick with the Ci before i got the wagon since they're still 'cars'. The X3 would be more of a 'utility/activity' vehicle with a bit higher ride height, even though cargo would be the same as the wagon.

Plus since pets aren't allowed in my 330Ci and we want to get another pet, it would be really nice if i had a car that we could haul the dogs around in. (This is a minor point since he has an Explorer.)

Not to worry though, i don't have a deposit down or anything crazy like that. It's just a fleeting thought i thought i'd post to get other opinions.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:10 AM
doh!!!

Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3 sold->M2 comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leuc330Ci
No, i don't consider the X3 an upgrade, it's a totally different beast than a Ci. I would stick with the Ci before i got the wagon since they're still 'cars'. The X3 would be more of a 'utility/activity' vehicle with a bit higher ride height, even though cargo would be the same as the wagon.

Plus since pets aren't allowed in my 330Ci and we want to get another pet, it would be really nice if i had a car that we could haul the dogs around in. (This is a minor point since he has an Explorer.)

Not to worry though, i don't have a deposit down or anything crazy like that. It's just a fleeting thought i thought i'd post to get other opinions.

wagon is great for a dog, our 72 pound boxer fits with plenty of room in the rear portion. Only thing that would make it even nicer if the rear window could roll down.

I dont understand your car comment either, X3 is based on the 3 series so it is still a car too XiT would give you a bit more ride height and Awd. But if you want a SUV like vehicle then maybe no point of us trying to talk you out of it
Old 10-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Brave corporate logo

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
So is the major reason you're thinking of an X3 getting a new pet? Are you going to get a big dog this time?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:06 PM
~~~~~~~~~~

I realize for all intents and purposes the X3 is basically a 3er. However, since it'll be marketed as a SAV (which is something i've never had before or an SUV for that matter), i don't think or refer to it as a 'car'. I know the XiT will do everything the X3 can do, but the SO will be getting a wagon.

And no, the major reason isn't for another dog (which if i do get one, will be another beagle). The major reason is just to have something different that i've never had before. I know it's kinda lame, but it will only happen if the finances are right. I'm not going to bend over like i did with the Volvo just to get out of my 330...it's just too good of a car to do that.