Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Unhappy Z4 IPod Adapter?

I've read quite a few posts mentioning the Dice IPod adapter, but the BSW site shows the following alert:

IMPORTANT: This product is NOT compatible with 2006 model year Z4 vehicles. It is currently undergoing software updates to correct this problem, so check back soon if you
have a 2006 Z4 and would like to buy this product. No other Z4's are affected.

I also received confirmation of this also from Jason at BSW and he says there may be a fix in Mid Feb....

I hear the BMW adapter will not display various info on the radio like Dice. Is anyone using a different IPod adapter that they are happy with?

I'm driving an '06 Z4 3.0si with Premium and Sport, factory blue tooth and DSP radio, no nav, no cd changer (but located my changer cables thanks to the many posts!)

Thanks.

Last edited by J9KH; 12-22-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Joiner

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 2.5 and 2010 128i
Do your research on this forum under the audio subforum. I have a DICE, non Nav and non-DSP, and I would not recommend one. USA Spec has one.

Pat Casey
2005 Z4 2.5i
Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Re USA Spec

I did a lot of research in this forum about BMW, Dice, USA.......
I also checked out USA Spec - it looked like it was going to work with my car but they listed no DSP (and I have DSP)...

Last edited by J9KH; 12-21-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:04 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by J9KH View Post
I did a lot of research in this forum about IBM, Dice, USA.......
I also checked out USA Spec - it looked like it was going to work with my car but they listed no DSP (and I have DSP)...
What's the last seven of your vin?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:06 PM

It is LW91144
Old 12-21-2009, 08:13 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
It is LW91144
Your production is 03/2006.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=297113
Old 12-21-2009, 08:45 PM

Thanks for this information Ron.
I had seen this before and read thru the manual and this looks like a bit of work!
The USA and DICE adapters looked much easier - no taking the radio apart and no drilling...
One thing I didn't realize was that the BMW adapter would charge the IPod like the others.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:48 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
I had seen this before and read thru the manual and this looks like a bit of work!
The USA and DICE adapters looked much easier - no taking the radio apart and no drilling...
One thing I didn't realize was that the BMW adapter would charge the IPod like the others.
If DSP is not a problem after 02/2006 why do the other items have an issue.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:56 PM

Perhaps they don't have the resources to test different production dates from 06 and just make a blanket statement... who knows. It would be great if they fixed the issues though!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Perhaps they don't have the resources to test different production dates from 06 and just make a blanket statement... who knows. It would be great if they fixed the issues though!
So maybe it will work with a 03/2006.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
The install of the OEM iPod adapter isn't complicated at all, just follow the directions and hints from the other thread and it goes like a snap. (even with all the added drama of my ABS module going out at the same time)

If you add a Spec Dock mount in the ashtray, then there is no hole drilling to worry about as best I can tell and it's just opening things up, moving pins in the connectors, and fishing stuff around. I really like the Spec Dock solution and will be adding one to my coupe after the holidays. I wish I had known about it when I did the install as I would have gone that way from the beginning.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: E82, E84
FYI:

There are two methods Apple uses for charging iPods, one is 12V and the other is 5V. The original iPods were 12V only, and starting with the 3rd gen iPod, 12V and 5V both would work (they use different pins on the connector). At some point in the last couple of years, all new iPod devices switched to using only 5V and could not be charged using an adapter that only supported 12V. I say this because the BMW iPod interface kit (65 11 0 035 961) only supports 12V charging. I have one of these in my '08 M Coupe and I can confirm that it will not charge the 3G or 3GS iPhone, nor will it charge a 2nd gen iPod touch. It works great on my old 1st gen (1GB) iPod nano, though. I recommend checking to see what sort of charging your device needs before going down this route. Also, using the BMW adapter will lock out the controls on the iPod. This is fine if you plan to put in away somewhere, but if you want to dock it and use the click wheel or touch screen, forget about it. On the other hand, the BMW interface did display artist and song titles on my navigation display and did so without the quirkiness of the DICE.

Regarding the spec.dock, it is awesome! It was not too difficult to install in place of the ashtray and it looks like it belongs in the car, not like some add-on. The spec.dock I got is made for connecting to the DICE, so that's the way I have it hooked up at the moment. There are still some noise issues I'm trying to resolve, but Matt at spec.dock has been kind enough to keep throwing parts my way in hopes of coming up with a solution. The noise is a result of the DICE, not the spec.dock. I have been able to confirm this. I have a couple of ideas for how to correct it, and parts are on the way to help me test them out. At any rate, I'm still not sold on the DICE, but I love the spec.dock. I'll post more info once I get back from the holidays and start working on it again.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:45 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
I have non-Nav, I have the DSP but use the BMW ipod adapter, it's flawless and sounds great. Its only drawback is lack of song information displayed, but I usually have the clock showing anyway.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 12-22-2009, 07:09 AM

Thanks so much - this is really good information. I have a new IPod classic 160GB so it most likely needs the 5V charger.
I REALLY like the spec.doc/ashtray solution and also an adapter that did not lock out the IPod controls. From what I'm reading, this only works with Dice?
At this point, I think I'll wait awhile to see what transpires with DICE/others. Hopefully DICE will find a solution mid Feb and the way time flies, it will be here before we know it! Although I was really looking forward to some great tunes in the new year, I'll try to be patient.
Please keep me posted if/when you find any solutions.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 AM

Another feature of the Spec Dock is that it has the option of making an older iPod interface such as the OEM 961 support USB charging so that it can work with the newer iPods/iPhone.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 AM

On another note,,,, love the picture of your dog!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:38 AM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNet View Post
Another feature of the Spec Dock is that it has the option of making an older iPod interface such as the OEM 961 support USB charging so that it can work with the newer iPods/iPhone.
all they do is include a charging adapter from one of many companies. You can buy those online, if you've already got an iPod player that doesn't charge your iPhone/iPod.

I'm a very happy spec.dock customer. The iPhone and iPod touch fit very snuggly in the Z4's spec.dock ashtray location.

DreamingWell.com Web Services

Last edited by wildag; 12-23-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:11 AM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
I've read quite a few posts mentioning the Dice IPod adapter, but the BSW site shows the following alert:

IMPORTANT: This product is NOT compatible with 2006 model year Z4 vehicles. It is currently undergoing software updates to correct this problem, so check back soon if you
have a 2006 Z4 and would like to buy this product. No other Z4's are affected.

I also received confirmation of this also from Jason at BSW and he says there may be a fix in Mid Feb....

I hear the BMW adapter will not display various info on the radio like Dice. Is anyone using a different IPod adapter that they are happy with?

I'm driving an '06 Z4 3.0si with Premium and Sport, factory blue tooth and DSP radio, no nav, no cd changer (but located my changer cables thanks to the many posts!)

Thanks.
We're testing a beta firmware that is compatible with MY06+ Z4/X3 applications, including those with NAV.

We'll make the announcement as soon as approval is given from our end.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I have non-Nav, I have the DSP but use the BMW ipod adapter, it's flawless and sounds great. Its only drawback is lack of song information displayed, but I usually have the clock showing anyway.
I have the the OEM Ipod connector in my 06 M and while it works pretty well, I have noticed a lot of hiss lately which is audible all the time in quiet portions of the songs. I wish I had access to another car to see if this is normal or not. The simple aux-in cables I had on previous cars were not so noisy. I also wish there was a way to access a particular song when desired. I typically use the #6 setting for random play.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I have the the OEM Ipod connector in my 06 M and while it works pretty well, I have noticed a lot of hiss lately which is audible all the time in quiet portions of the songs. I wish I had access to another car to see if this is normal or not. The simple aux-in cables I had on previous cars were not so noisy. I also wish there was a way to access a particular song when desired. I typically use the #6 setting for random play.
I have not noticed any hiss in between tracks or during any tracks. I generally use 256k or 320k sized music, not sure if that makes much of a difference here.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 12-22-2009, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 135i
The first DICE Unit I bought was DOA. It was sent back and advanced replaced. The new unit has worked pretty well without any major problems. I shot EAS an email after reading this thread and they said that if the unit I have is working, then it does not have the software problem. Apparently it is only the "newer" units. Mine is about 9 months old and I suppose that it is an "older" unit. As a side note, I also have the spec dock and it looks factory and replaces the useless ash tray.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I have not noticed any hiss in between tracks or during any tracks. I generally use 256k or 320k sized music, not sure if that makes much of a difference here.
Interesting. Maybe mine has something wrong with it... I use 160K BR but I don't think this has anything to do with hiss.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Interesting. Maybe mine has something wrong with it... I use 160K BR but I don't think this has anything to do with hiss.
I also don't notice a hiss with my OEM unit either.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
On another note,,,, love the picture of your dog!
Thanks, He's our pride and joy.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:09 AM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
We're testing a beta firmware that is compatible with MY06+ Z4/X3 applications, including those with NAV.

We'll make the announcement as soon as approval is given from our end.
But there's a ANOTHER CATCH!

DICE iPod adapters arn't user upgradeable! Meaning that if you've already got a DICE, you have to ship it back to them and wait for a return; at your own expense! That's a pretty big oversight for a device that costs $169. Try to find another electronics product, that has firmware, that's not user upgradeable. Even TVs have user upgradeable firmware these days.

Oh and another fun fact: DICE wasn't telling people this a few months ago. So I went through two units, endless phone calls and got nowhere.

Here's the most fun I ever had with my DICE Silverline Pro:

DreamingWell.com Web Services

Last edited by wildag; 12-23-2009 at 07:13 AM.