Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
I have a 9 year old golden retreiver that is the love of my life!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
But there's a ANOTHER CATCH!

DICE iPod adapters arn't user upgradeable! Meaning that if you've already got a DICE, you have to ship it back to them and wait for a return; at your own expense! That's a pretty big oversight for a device that costs $169. Try to find another electronics product, that has firmware, that's not user upgradeable. Even TVs have user upgradeable firmware these days.

Oh and another fun fact: DICE wasn't telling people this a few months ago. So I went through two units, endless phone calls and got nowhere.
Wow- no chance for a refund? That is a pretty extreme decision for a $170 piece of equipment
Old 12-23-2009, 12:42 PM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Wow- no chance for a refund? That is a pretty extreme decision for a $170 piece of equipment
I kept getting the "we'll call you back" line. I'd call, and they'd give me some retarded "do a battery reset" (pull battery from the car for 5 minutes). Then they'd have me try some dip switch settings. In the end, I got all the features working, but not all together. So I could have text on the screen, but couldn't use Nav or telephone. Or I could have the iPod play, without text, but couldn't use a newer model iPhone.

The number of ifs-ands-buts with DICE is ridiculous.

$170 is a lot, but I had a lot of fun doing it. I never asked for a refund, but they told me that I'd have to pay return shipping and some restocking fee.

I think a good youtube burning video is worth it, so others don't go through the same stuff.

I bought an Intravee II, and had it working in under 10 minutes. Its never crashed, doesn't have dip switches, and no one's ever told me to do a "battery reset". It has user upgradeable firmware, has many more features, and is even constructed of better plastic. It did cost twice as much, but at least it works, and does what its advertised to do.

DreamingWell.com Web Services

Last edited by wildag; 12-23-2009 at 12:46 PM.