Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Now that I am aware of this issue I immediately went down to the garage and removed the fancy metal BMW logo caps and replaced them with the original cheap plastic ones.

The results were instantaneous and spectacular. My migrane headache went away, my acne cleared up, the interest rate on my IRA doubled and I won $500 in the New York State Lottery. This was particularly amazing since I hadn't even purchased a ticket.

CA
Now you've done it, Captain!
I'm going to have to take a walk on the wild side, invest in a set of fancy BMW logo caps -- just so I can take them back off and see what fate throws my way.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 12-23-2009, 02:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfitter View Post
Galvanic Reaction. Years ago I was installing the sprinkler system in a Post Office. When it came time for the punch list corrections, one item on the list was a 1/2" brass nipple in the otherwise galvanized piping for the alarm valve. Shaking my head in disbelief, I approached the inspector (Lieutenant, Army Corp of Engineers, newbie) and asked about it. He says that the brass nipple has to be removed due to possible galvanic reaction. I started laughing and pointed out that EVERY valve (drain valve, inspectors test, check valve..) in the system is brass and oh yeah, what about ALL the sprinkler heads, they are brass, what are we gonna do with them? He agreed and the nipple remained. Bottom line, No Electrolytes (salts), No Corrosion, at least in sprinkler systems.
There's more to it....the higher the proportion of copper or copper alloy to iron, the faster iron will corrode in water, or it's sacrificial anode, zinc [galvanizing]. And vice versa. Copper will be inhibited.

Galvanic corrosion will proceed without salts predissolved in water. Pure water is relatively agressive stuff. Certain salts in high concentration are used to prevent corrosion.

If you have chlorides (road salt), they'll do a number on some metals without galvanic corrosion, in the wet.

Road salt and galvanic corrosion (current flow) will certainly cause corrosion when wet.

All above requires water to complete the corrosion cell. Vasoline prevents water/metal contact, so no, or greatly reduced, corrosion.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 12-23-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Montego Blue 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Captain/DSX,
Please clarify re: "aftermarket valve caps". Are these one and the same as the caps sold under the P/N 36 11 0 009 840 that are available from BMWUSA?
Nordic_Kat - I have the same valve caps. For sh*ts and giggles, I took one off to look at it more closely. They appear to be plastic, despite having a chrome look. They are much too light to be metal, me thinks. So I think we're okay! Anyone else with these(?)- always nice to have a second opinion!
Old 12-24-2009, 03:55 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
Quote:
Maybe he can tell by looking at them, "well they don't look flat to me" yet.

dj
That sounds like a quote from my wife.
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...
Old 12-24-2009, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by From the Helm View Post
...BTW, who checks air pressure every month? Do you all have leaky valve stems? Tires hold air, then they go flat, why check them all the time? My BMW tires hold air, all the time, every day, it's weird, but I think tires are supposed to hold air.
I check them every two weeks. I also adjust them for the conditions, upward for a long trip at highway speeds and down a bit when we are in the snow season. Why own the "ultimate driving machine" and not pay attention to the tires?

I am also old enough to have have picked up more than a few nails, screws and what not over the years. A slow loss of air pressure tells me to start looking at the tire. And I don't trust TPMS to be reliable enough for use as a maintenance system.

This new God given right of Americans to not have to look at the machine, let alone do any maintenance, puzzles me.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 535 M Sport
This could be a huge quality/satisfaction issue for BMW and people who have fallen victim to this should file a class action. I had the same problem after buying the little logo caps at the BMW dealer at the parts counter. Fortunately a mechanic was able to remove the caps with a pliers for me - but if I had to put air in a tire myself for some reason before that day - forget it, i would never have been able to get the caps off. BMW dealers sell these caps that essentially fuse to the valve stem in their own dealer parts departments. Anything to make a buck I guess....
Old 12-24-2009, 06:51 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
The source of the problem is that the valve stems which used to be brass or steel are now aluminum. Ferrous and red metal can't be used because they act in opposition to the antenna located in the TPMS sensor. For whatever reason, and my RF energy knowledge = { 0, the aluminum doesn't interfere with the signal.
Steel valve caps+aluminum valve stem+CaCl+H20=doodoo. That's the limit of my chemistry, too.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynn View Post
This could be a huge quality/satisfaction issue for BMW and people who have fallen victim to this should file a class action. I had the same problem after buying the little logo caps at the BMW dealer at the parts counter. Fortunately a mechanic was able to remove the caps with a pliers for me - but if I had to put air in a tire myself for some reason before that day - forget it, i would never have been able to get the caps off. BMW dealers sell these caps that essentially fuse to the valve stem in their own dealer parts departments. Anything to make a buck I guess....
Going to court over this? BMW owes some people some new valve caps and needs to replace a few TPMS sensors. They will probably take care of it.

On the other hand sh*t happens.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
No, they're Beru's as suggested by Orient, above, but I didn't want to go into too much detail. Beru makes a two piece unit and the stem can be purchased separately. Only Beru makes them this way.
Good to know.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
13 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 12-24-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekressin View Post
Good to know.
True, so the wary owner can have a response ready for the SA when (s)he is told that the repair requires replacement of the whole unit. Not so. (Unless of course the battery in the sensor has croaked or the orifice has been plugged up with Fix-A-Flat or other goop.)
Battery? What battery? Do I mean to say that these things are all doomed to failure no matter what you to do to maintain your Bimmer? Do I mean to say that eventually you are going to have to pay over 500 bucks, maybe way over, to replace dead tire pressure sensors?

Yes.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Skjoni's Dad

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-hoya View Post
Nordic_Kat - I have the same valve caps. For sh*ts and giggles, I took one off to look at it more closely. They appear to be plastic, despite having a chrome look. They are much too light to be metal, me thinks. So I think we're okay! Anyone else with these(?)- always nice to have a second opinion!
Dang! I told my family I wanted a set for Xmas-so I know I'm getting them. I had called the store (Bavarian) first and they told me they were "metal." We'll see. I guess i'll vaseline them if they are.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: Sapphire/coral 335i Cp
Quote:
If they are not plastic, and you are worried, do what CA did and Vaseline them. No Worries.
Also presumable you check your tire pressure more often than every 2 years.

dj
Yes, vaseline will work, but Anti Sieze compound is better. I have had metal caps on my rims for over 2 yrs now. Dive in salt in winter and have no issues getting them off. But lubrication IS necessary to prevent galvanic corrosion.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
Dang! I told my family I wanted a set for Xmas-so I know I'm getting them. I had called the store (Bavarian) first and they told me they were "metal." We'll see. I guess i'll vaseline them if they are.
When you say you will "vaseline them" - you are talking about the stem caps, right?
Old 12-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGP View Post
Yes, vaseline will work, but Anti Sieze compound is better. I have had metal caps on my rims for over 2 yrs now. Dive in salt in winter and have no issues getting them off. But lubrication IS necessary to prevent galvanic corrosion.
This and CA's endorsement may actually tip me to "splurge" and use the 15% off coupon from my dralership and get them.

It was originally my understanding from the CA (at the dealership) that metal caps -- shouldn't be used due to TPMS interferrence. Now that it's been explained higher up in this thread and the second concern of corrosion has a work around, I feel a bit more comfortable taking the financial plunge!

(It's sooo confusing to keep all the CA's around here straightened out!)

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 12-24-2009, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: Sapphire/coral 335i Cp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
When you say you will "vaseline them" - you are talking about the stem caps, right?
Or the stem threads.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
The set that I have is definitely made of metal and the TPMS system appears to work fine.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Old 12-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Quote:
Now that I am aware of this issue I immediately went down to the garage and removed the fancy metal BMW logo caps and replaced them with the original cheap plastic ones.

The results were instantaneous and spectacular. My migrane headache went away, my acne cleared up, the interest rate on my IRA doubled and I won $500 in the New York State Lottery. This was particularly amazing since I hadn't even purchased a ticket.

CA
Are you not a performance enthusiast? Do you know how much unnecessary weight those valve stem caps are adding to your already slow vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGP View Post
Or the stem threads.
Whoosh!

Old 12-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
Are you not a performance enthusiast? Do you know how much unnecessary weight those valve stem caps are adding to your already slow vehicle?

Unsprung weight too, because it is on the wheels.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufthansa View Post
Professor Cook,

On another topic (sorry) - where did you get the bra for your car? I've ordered a 328 coupe, and want to put a bra on it at the dealers when it comes in. I have a 30 mile freeway trip home.
Thanks
I own no bras. Not for my car, and not for myself. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

I recommend that you put a bra on your car as soon as possible. Otherwise, the front end could begin to sag. A bra will also keep the headlights nice and perky.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I recommend that you put a bra on your car as soon as possible. Otherwise, the front end could begin to sag. A bra will also keep the headlights nice and perky.
Did you ever notice those little floral doohickies they put in the front of the real ones between the ...um...headlights? My friend got a car bra and made an appropriately sized floral thing and fastened it to the middle. If you 'got it' it was hilariousl. Not many people got it though and he took it off.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Skjoni's Dad

Mein Auto: 335i
So I got the OEM BMW logo caps for Xmas. They are indeed metal, and there's a sticker applied to the back of the package which reads: "Warning: Brass material valve stem caps are to be used on brass stems only! They are not recommended for use with aluminum or aluminum alloy material tire stems. In this application, please use our ABS Plastic material valve stem caps."

So are our stems brass or aluminum? These aren't aftermarket-they're Bmw parts.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
So I got the OEM BMW logo caps for Xmas. They are indeed metal, and there's a sticker applied to the back of the package which reads: "Warning: Brass material valve stem caps are to be used on brass stems only! They are not recommended for use with aluminum or aluminum alloy material tire stems. In this application, please use our ABS Plastic material valve stem caps."

So are our stems brass or aluminum? These aren't aftermarket-they're Bmw parts.
Uh oh. Your valve stems are aluminum.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Uh oh. Your valve stems are aluminum.
OMG!

ALUMINUM VALVE STEMS!

Don't let this happen to you!

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Old 12-25-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
OMG!

ALUMINUM VALVE STEMS!

Don't let this happen to you!

It's unlikely that spontaneous valves stem combustion will occur. However, and the reason that BMW took the time to put that warning on the caps, the likelihood of corrosive fusing is very high.
If the caps are used without an inhibitor, and the caps are not reasonably often removed, the poster could find that his caps are not going to be removable without damage to the valve stems.