Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-22-2009, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Kenwood Bluetooth plus Aux input for Iphone

I am considering installing a Kenwood KOS-A300BT Factory Radio Upgrade Package with Bluetooth. My main question is, if I remove the existing ipod integration kit/cable and install the new accessory, will the Business CD recognize the source as auxiliary? Currently the ipod plays through the CD changer mode.

If I remove the ipod cable from the changer connector will I be able to install a standard 3.5mm AUX audio input cable without having to reset, change or do anything in the radio setting? The Kenwood only requires a standard 3.5mm jack.

The Kenwood kit is really nice since you can have better control of your ipod with the Kenwood interface, have bluetooth handsfree calling and has a rotary remote similar in looks to the idrive. It also contains a small LCD display that I can mount on the optional portable GPS tray (real OEM) instead of the storage compartment on top of the dash.

Anyone ever doing something similar?
Ads by Google
Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 PM

Bump! I guess I have to find out by myself.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
You will have to be a Pioneer with that Kenwood A300 - to use an audiophile's play on words!

It looks a really good solution for keeping the factory look while adding functionality that is either N/A, sub-par, or too expensive from BMW.

Can't see any problem with just removing the BMW iPod interface kit and then installing the basic aux input cable.

The Business CD should be unaware that it ever had the interface kit and will immediately recognize that it now has a new AUX mode.

I would hope that there is no real difference between that and a radio that has a built-in aux. jack on its front panel, as far as the A300 is concerned.

Unless the A300 is dependent on the AUX being always at the ready, rather than selected by a Mode switch?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpass12 View Post
Bump! I guess I have to find out by myself.
It is the holidays after all and most of us are a tad busy. Soon as I get a chance to look at the tech specs and logistics I will report back.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 12-24-2009, 09:02 AM

Thank you much! I was brainstorming the intallation and if I buy the kit I was thinking about mounting the rotary knob right in front of the center console cup holder. There is a little bit of space that falls perfectly where your hand would rest. I am not sure about the readabilty of the small display if I install it on the optional portable GPS tray. The good thing is that I wouldn't have to reach forward to control the device since it has a remote. It really looks like a good solution. If I install it I promise I will do a write up with pics.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:45 PM

OK, so I ordered all the parts needed to change the dash storage into the portable GPS tray.

I should be able to install the Kenwood Display on the tray and the rest of the kit hidden in the center console. The rotary remote control I hope is small enough for it to fit in the space right in front of the center console cup holder.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Andrew

Mein Auto: BMW 2007 X3 3.0 si
this may be a silly question, but does anyone know how to make a pic of your car appear next to your name.
thanks
Old 01-02-2010, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: Acura TL
any pictures?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoulu View Post
any pictures?
Haven't yet received the parts. But I will post pictures once I install it.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:18 PM

Finally the Kenwood interface is in. It works fine and the bluetooth hands-free is excellent. About 3 hours installation time. My iphone connects and you can manage your playlists and more.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-18-2010, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
That looks awesome. Really clean installation. Questions though,
1. Did you replace the stereo as well or this kit integrates with factory stereo?
2. Did you have to buy any additional harness?
3. Does it work with steering controls for phone (talky head)?
4. How's the voice quality in calls? Any feedback etc?
5. Total cost to install please.

Thanks in advance.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 01-18-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
That looks awesome. Really clean installation. Questions though,
1. Did you replace the stereo as well or this kit integrates with factory stereo?
2. Did you have to buy any additional harness?
3. Does it work with steering controls for phone (talky head)?
4. How's the voice quality in calls? Any feedback etc?
5. Total cost to install please.

Thanks in advance.
1. The interface connects to the factory stereo through the AUX input. I kept the factory unit.

2. I replaced the factory ipod interface cable with an AUX input cable. The reason was that didn't like the way the ipod/iphone worked with the factory harness.

3. I can only use volume control on the steering wheels. The audio/ipod control is now through the rotary remote control and it also provides the mobile phone control.

4. The voice is of very good quality is clear and people can hear me well.

5. DIY cost was about $475.00 including the optional OEM portable GPS tray in place of the original storage compartment on the dash (location where I installed the Kenwood screen).

I like the features and the way it works. I have better control of my music plus I now have bluetooth handsfree. The install looks very clean.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
So, if I understand this right, the car or rather the stereo won't automatically switch to bluetooth when a call comes in? You would have to manually switch to AUX in stereo to use car's speakers and answer the call using the wheel control near cup holder instead of one on steering, right? Thanks for responding though.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 01-19-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
So, if I understand this right, the car or rather the stereo won't automatically switch to bluetooth when a call comes in? You would have to manually switch to AUX in stereo to use car's speakers and answer the call using the wheel control near cup holder instead of one on steering, right? Thanks for responding though.
That is correct! Since I never listen to radio stations it is not a problem for me. I use my iphone to listen to music in my car.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpass12 View Post
That is correct! Since I never listen to radio stations it is not a problem for me. I use my iphone to listen to music in my car.
Excellent work. Sorry to have not responded more to your query.

Curious what source material you are listening to on your iPhone. I listen almost exclusively to Pandora at this point.

As a engineer in radio I have been trying to convince the community that we don't want to end up like the traditional music industry dinosaurs.

You seem to be a good example of where mobile listening habits are headed.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 01-19-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:08 AM

I only listen to Pandora at home. I normally use the ipod feature on my iphone as the music source.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i 2004 X3 3.0
That looks fantastic, great job. Where were you able to connect power to the device, and were did you hide the box? Was there enough room within the center console ?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbureau View Post
That looks fantastic, great job. Where were you able to connect power to the device, and were did you hide the box? Was there enough room within the center console ?
If take the center console inside tray out you"ll see that there is enough space on the side (place the interface box on it's side) to place the box.

I tapped the power and other connections from the radio harness.