Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 10-02-2003, 11:16 AM
Old Timer

Mein Auto: Chevrolet
the E65 rear trunk conundrum.

traffic was pretty awful today. so i looked around at cars while stuck in the parking lot called the masspike.

what struck me is how UNNOTICEABLE other trunk designs are, and yet they achieve the same stated purpose as the trunk on the E65. it was something about keeping the spaciousness of the trunk but "keeping in the design" of the car.

well, i'd say, the next time anyone else is stuck in traffic, have a good looksee at how other auto designers have integrated an increased height trunk deck into their cars. the ford taurus. the toyota avalon. the toyota camry. the Jetta III. the dodge stratus. the old and new E class cars. the new maxima. the list goes on and on. all of these cars also have a design where the line of the car swoops upward toward the rear and there is a clear need to increase trunk space, but you NEVER notice any oddity about these designs.

i mean, even compare the e30 trunk to the e36 trunk. the e36 trunklid is chunky, but it integrates well with the car.

why this is unable to be done with the new designs sure is odd.
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdz
traffic was pretty awful today. so i looked around at cars while stuck in the parking lot called the masspike.

what struck me is how UNNOTICEABLE other trunk designs are, and yet they achieve the same stated purpose as the trunk on the E65. it was something about keeping the spaciousness of the trunk but "keeping in the design" of the car.

well, i'd say, the next time anyone else is stuck in traffic, have a good looksee at how other auto designers have integrated an increased height trunk deck into their cars. the ford taurus. the toyota avalon. the toyota camry. the Jetta III. the dodge stratus. the old and new E class cars. the new maxima. the list goes on and on. all of these cars also have a design where the line of the car swoops upward toward the rear and there is a clear need to increase trunk space, but you NEVER notice any oddity about these designs.

i mean, even compare the e30 trunk to the e36 trunk. the e36 trunklid is chunky, but it integrates well with the car.

why this is unable to be done with the new designs sure is odd.

Completely agree. The e46 also has a "large butt" but its well-integrated enough that you don't really notice it. My father's old Saab 9000 CDE had an ENORMOUS trunk that I guarantee was larger than even the 745's-- and it still looked better integrated.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:29 AM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg
The e46 also has a "large butt" but its well-integrated enough that you don't really notice it.
I don't think so. It's quite noticeable to me.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadstergal
I agree that its large (Especially compared to older 3 series)- but you really think the e46's butt looks as obvious as the e65's? The e65 trunk calls extra attention to itself w/ the seam-lines that cut outwards, and the squared off trunk.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:18 PM
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Mein Auto: Ford Tempo GL
I think the other consideration is how the taillights drop down, emphasizing the JLo trunk even more.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:26 PM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Interesting. So compared to E46, the E65 has a more elegant trunk design ?

Hmmm...
Old 10-02-2003, 12:43 PM
Old Timer

Mein Auto: Chevrolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baumann
Interesting. So compared to E46, the E65 has a more elegant trunk design ?

Hmmm...
sometimes i'm not even sure it's the added trunk lip as much as the tail lights accentuating the discontinuity which make the design look 'odd'.

if there were not taillights on the trunk itself, but just restricted to the rear fenders, it would be much less noticeable and more integrated.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:03 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
The E46 does have a big butt! But I also think it integrates realtive well with the rest of the body. But I gotta agree that the E36's butt was much better integrated! Lower, flatter, and the way the tail lights flow from fender to trunk lid on the E36 was better than the E46's taller, rounder deck and the big light on fender little light on trunk lid.

But I still think that the bigger discontinuities found on the butt of the E65 (and the other designs, though not as much on the Z4) are much worse!

But, one thing is true, and this might be part of what Bangle wants, is that you do notice the butts! As you say, all the others seem to disappear in to the sea of similar designs while the Bangle Butt stands out and draws your attention to it and the rest of the car. Isn't that what all designers of any structure want... to get you looking. The fact that you then either hate it or love it is relatively immaterial, as they already got you thinking.

Old 10-02-2003, 01:06 PM
Butting back in

Hmmm, interesting to consider. I like what's been done with the trunk, and I don't know if 'better integrated' is really the word. It's way overdoing it to say it's a 'celebration of the trunk,' but there's something to be said for making a design element out of the 'trunkishness.' I think the E46 stands out because it isn't as styled, but is noticeably more massive than, say, the E30. The E30 I do feel has an 'integrated' design - take the design theme of a box, and apply to everything but the headlights. (I love it, of course, but that's how I feel it looks.)

BTW, what the **** do y'all carry in your trunks that you ask the designers for more and more and more space? I can lie down comfortably in my 'little' E30 trunk, even with the subwoofer there. I carried the old M20 bottom end in there.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
BTW, what the **** do y'all carry in your trunks that you ask the designers for more and more and more space? I can lie down comfortably in my 'little' E30 trunk, even with the subwoofer there. I carried the old M20 bottom end in there.
2 sets of golf clubs with 46" drivers

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.

Last edited by Mr. The Edge; 10-02-2003 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Butting back in

Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
But, one thing is true, and this might be part of what Bangle wants, is that you do notice the butts! As you say, all the others seem to disappear in to the sea of similar designs while the Bangle Butt stands out and draws your attention to it and the rest of the car. Isn't that what all designers of any structure want... to get you looking. The fact that you then either hate it or love it is relatively immaterial, as they already got you thinking.
That is well said.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:11 PM
Butting back in

Quote:
Originally Posted by atyclb
2 sets of golf clubs with 46" drivers
Man, I'm a 61" driver, and I thought I was short!
Old 10-02-2003, 01:13 PM

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:14 PM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Pfft !

I look --> I like ---> I Buy.
I look --> I don't like --> I don't Buy.

For me, this is a simple equation.

One thing is for sure. I will never buy an E60 or an E65.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Butting back in

Quote:
Originally Posted by atyclb
You will probably have to take the 528 if you're going golfing.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:21 PM

Quote:
You will probably have to take the 528 if you're going golfing.
I can buckle the clubs into the front seat

(maybe)

Old 10-02-2003, 01:21 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Man, I'm a 61" driver, and I thought I was short!

Old 10-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Butting back in

Quote:
One thing is for sure. I will never buy an E60 or an E65.
Would you ever have bought a 5 or 7? I will never buy a 7 and it's only somewhat likely that I would ever buy a 5. It's not an issue to BMW if someone who isn't in the deomgraphic to buy a car likes it or not. And you saw yourself - someone who posted an "Isn't this ugly!" picture got a thread of positive responses to follow. That's where an attention-getting car will do better, even if person x dislikes it - person x will tell persons a->z about it, and some of them will like it, whereas person x may like this other bland design, but won't spread the word on it, since it's bland.

(The only one where BMW really had to score with me is the Z4, and they did.)
Old 10-02-2003, 01:25 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Pfft !

I look --> I like ---> I Buy.
I look --> I don't like --> I don't Buy.

For me, this is a simple equation.
But that is a marketting problem, not a design problem. If the designers go so overboard that the the marketters can not move them, then they'll either get a new designer or come up with a newer wackier marketting compaign.

Not that I'm in the market for a new car, but as it stands now, of the current models, the only one I would even consider getting is a Z4, even though it too is not perfect. Besides, the others are pretty much out of my price range anyway. I'll have to wait and see what the 1er's and 2er's look like.

Last edited by operknockity; 10-02-2003 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:28 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Would you ever have bought a 5 or 7?
If I had the money and the need for a bigger car, I would have gone for the E39. And while the old 7 was out of my range, I I had the money and the need for a car of that size, I could have gone for it.

Old 10-02-2003, 01:54 PM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Would you ever have bought a 5 or 7? I will never buy a 7 and it's only somewhat likely that I would ever buy a 5. It's not an issue to BMW if someone who isn't in the deomgraphic to buy a car likes it or not. And you saw yourself - someone who posted an "Isn't this ugly!" picture got a thread of positive responses to follow. That's where an attention-getting car will do better, even if person x dislikes it - person x will tell persons a->z about it, and some of them will like it, whereas person x may like this other bland design, but won't spread the word on it, since it's bland.

(The only one where BMW really had to score with me is the Z4, and they did.)
I know it's not a BMW issue. I'm talking about my likes and dislikes.

So, based on your explanation, I better STFU because I'll never buy a 5 or 7 series.

So be it.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Butting back in

Quote:
So, based on your explanation, I better STFU because I'll never buy a 5 or 7 series.
No, don't interperet what I said that way!

I'm saying that BMW doesn't care if I like the 7 series, because I won't be buying one. It does care if I talk about it, though, and in that way have people who would buy one if it impacted on their consciousness hear about it.

I care what you say in general, of course, but I'm not BMW.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:00 PM
Butting back in

Quote:
If I had the money and the need for a bigger car, I would have gone for the E39. And while the old 7 was out of my range, I I had the money and the need for a car of that size, I could have gone for it.
Aren't money and need the prime considerations to "will you ever buy..."
Old 10-02-2003, 02:01 PM
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Mein Auto: Ford Tempo GL
Quote:
But that is a marketting problem, not a design problem. If the designers go so overboard that the the marketters can not move them, then they'll either get a new designer or come up with a newer wackier marketting compaign.
Art for art's sake doesn't work very well in the car business. Fortunately for BMW, the 7 is a low volume car. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the 5.

A little adventure in styling for a low volume car like the 7 can be good--it gets people talking, and any publicity is good publicity. I don't think it has hurt sales too much. If they had continued with, to put it politely, an "elegant" (read "plain, boring") style, there wouldn't be much to talk about when compare it to an S500. Except for I-drive, which would really be bad news.

Compare the 7 series situation to the Asstek, I mean Aztek. Now *that* is both a marketing and design problem.

EDIT: oops, I guess I said what rdstrgal said.

Last edited by elbert; 10-02-2003 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:24 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Aren't money and need the prime considerations to "will you ever buy..."
For most rational people, yes. But there is quite a large population of folks for whom status is the prime motivator. How else do you explain the Rolls, the Bentley, the Maybach, etc.

Edit: Add to that list the Hummer. Who the needs an assualt vehicle to take grandma to church

Last edited by operknockity; 10-02-2003 at 02:54 PM.