Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Giant Robot

Mein Auto: Scion FR-S
Test Drove a 550i GT and more

I test drove the 550i GT yesterday. It was fully kitted out with adjustable suspension, sport seats, and all the bells and whistles. In black, it looked a lot better than the photos, no uglier than an X5, but not pretty by any stretch.

With a little bit higher step in, getting in and out is even easier than the E60. There's a bit more room in the front, though the E60 already had plenty of room up there. The controls are familiar, though updated. I prefer the old iDrive's fewer buttons. The new one feels busy.

Now that engine. It's a torque monster. It's not about screaming in joy as you floor it through the mountain pass; it's about merging and saying, "Oh, I'm going 80. Oops!" Just effortless, but not thrilling like an I6 on the boil.

And you can definitely feel the size and weight. It's a highway cruiser. Turn the suspension to sport and it tightens up as the ride turns to crap. It provides less confidence than the low-slung E60, but with a worse ride.

Oh, and the extended sunroof is pretty, but completely useless.

Yesterday, I drove the 550i GT, 535i w/sport package, Jag XF Premium, Lexus HS250, Lexus IS-F, VW Jetta TDI Wagon, and VW CC 2.0T. The 5GT would be great if I had to do tons of long distance driving, but I don't. The 535i is great, but I'd skip the sports suspension. The Jag XF was underwhelming in every respect; the suspension and steering can't touch the E60's. The HS250 is a turd of a car; imagine paying 40k for a Corolla with leather. The IS-F is a scream with a delightful engine and great steering, though the suspension was bouncy and the interior tight.

The Jetta TDI and VW CC were the most impressive, giving a tight feel, nice though not luxurious interiors, enough acceleration, and better-balanced suspension than all but the BMWs. Too bad they don't offer ventilated seats.
"What are you going to replace your BMW with?"
"Another BMW, with a bigger engine!"
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Another day in Paradise

Send a message via Yahoo to gokartmozart
Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 M Coupe - LM08697
I agree completely with jsimon7777 on the 550i GT driving experience. The satnav and iControl are very impressive. The Google Earth stuff is cool when you scroll outwards, but I can't see using it much at all. I do think they have gotten the latest iControl perfect for my tastes. The owner's manual (condensed) in the iControl screen is cool, even if it is rarely used.

The wife and I are scheduled to take out a 550i GT next weekend, so she can get a more extended impression. She has only sat in a showroom model and she is the 5 Series demographic personified (although a 6 cyl. is more her speed).

2008 Z4 M Coupe (Alpine White/Imola Red/Carbon Leather) - CDV delete, stubby antenna
2005 530i (Silver Gray/Black The wife's Daily Driver
)
2003 Z4 3.0 (given to son)
1993 525iT (gone), 1993 325i (gone), 1983 320i (gone)