Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-02-2016, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: -03 BMW 330 xd
Questions about recent purchase. 330xd

Hey all BMW lovers!

I've recently purchased a what seems to be a good 2003 BMW E46 330xd with Automatic gearbox and I've got a couple of questions:

1. When I change from P to D, or R, it takes about 2 seconds to engage the gear, but going from D/R to N is instant. Is this normal?

It's changing gears like it should I would say. Smooth and fast. According to the previous owner the torque converter has already been changed at 112 000 miles and now it has 143 000 miles on the clock. The rpm doesnt go up and down either when driving at a set speed, like it would be engaging and disengaging gear. When the TC is about to go it does that I've heard.

2. It's losing some kind of liquid. It's not losing alot, maybe 1 drop a day if even. It's coming from front right/middle somewhere. It doesnt look like engine oil because it's not black like it is on the stick, it's more yellow/brown. Power steering oil? ... Or worst case automatic gearbox oil?

3. The drivers side mirror is electrically foldable and sometimes when I start the car it all of a sudden decides to go from the folded out position to even further out/to the front. I then have to fold it in and stop it at the needed position with my hand. What can that be causing that?

4. Sometimes when I engage reverse the parking sensors are beeping constantly 3-4 seconds before they turn off completely. Sometimes the sensors do nothing when I engage reverse. Time to change some cables, or buy 4 new sensors?

I'd appreciate all the help I can get

Kind regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0122 (Large).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	577940  
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2016, 06:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltazhaar View Post
Hey all BMW lovers!

I've recently purchased a what seems to be a good 2003 BMW E46 330xd with Automatic gearbox and I've got a couple of questions:

1. When I change from P to D, or R, it takes about 2 seconds to engage the gear, but going from D/R to N is instant. Is this normal?

It's changing gears like it should I would say. Smooth and fast. According to the previous owner the torque converter has already been changed at 112 000 miles and now it has 143 000 miles on the clock. The rpm doesnt go up and down either when driving at a set speed, like it would be engaging and disengaging gear. When the TC is about to go it does that I've heard.

2. It's losing some kind of liquid. It's not losing alot, maybe 1 drop a day if even. It's coming from front right/middle somewhere. It doesnt look like engine oil because it's not black like it is on the stick, it's more yellow/brown. Power steering oil? ... Or worst case automatic gearbox oil?

3. The drivers side mirror is electrically foldable and sometimes when I start the car it all of a sudden decides to go from the folded out position to even further out/to the front. I then have to fold it in and stop it at the needed position with my hand. What can that be causing that?

4. Sometimes when I engage reverse the parking sensors are beeping constantly 3-4 seconds before they turn off completely. Sometimes the sensors do nothing when I engage reverse. Time to change some cables, or buy 4 new sensors?

I'd appreciate all the help I can get

Kind regards

Problem #1. Your car likely has a GM transmission as the car is an "X" vehicle. You need to have the tranny fluid and filter changed NOW. You can do it yourself as it's not a difficult job. Buy quality synthetic Dex4 fluid. Don't skimp on the filter either.

Problem #2. Is the leak on the intake side or the exhaust side of the engine?? People get confused when they talk about left/right as you could be standing in front of the car.

Problem #3. As it's a German market car I need to know if the mirrors are factory installed or aftermarket. Do you know? The M3 came with folding mirrors, and some folks have transplanted M3 mirrors onto non-M3 cars.

Problem #4. Google "BMW E46 hidden OBC functions." Test #9 will show you the voltages as seen by the computer. Record and report the voltage when the:
-ignition switch is in the "on" position but with the engine not running
- engine idling
- engine revving at 2000rpm.

This could also be affecting your mirrors.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: -03 BMW 330 xd
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
Problem #1. Your car likely has a GM transmission as the car is an "X" vehicle. You need to have the tranny fluid and filter changed NOW. You can do it yourself as it's not a difficult job. Buy quality synthetic Dex4 fluid. Don't skimp on the filter either.

Problem #2. Is the leak on the intake side or the exhaust side of the engine?? People get confused when they talk about left/right as you could be standing in front of the car.

Problem #3. As it's a German market car I need to know if the mirrors are factory installed or aftermarket. Do you know? The M3 came with folding mirrors, and some folks have transplanted M3 mirrors onto non-M3 cars.

Problem #4. Google "BMW E46 hidden OBC functions." Test #9 will show you the voltages as seen by the computer. Record and report the voltage when the:
-ignition switch is in the "on" position but with the engine not running
- engine idling
- engine revving at 2000rpm.

This could also be affecting your mirrors.
I'll have the oil in the transmission and rear axle changed just to be safe. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The leak looks like it's coming from the exhaust side.

The mirrors are the factory standard ones, the rectangular ones.

I'll report back about the voltages.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-04-2016, 07:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Have the tech change the transfer case and front differential fluids also. Check the front driveshafts for damaged CV joint boots.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search