Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 2.5i
Z4 Just changed from RUN FLAT TIRE to Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season REGULAR TIRE...

Changed from RFT to Normal tire, I definitely noticed the difference. When I got the RFT, every pump you go over, you feel a big CRACK CRACK CRACK going over it... After changed to the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season, just driving on the road... I dont feel EVERY pump like the RFT... I do feel the big pump with a loud THUD... So there IS a difference between RFT and regular tire on a Z4... Especially with sport package... You definitely feel that your car has a suspension and it actually bounce when going over the pump...

There are more FEELS to the Run Flat Tire though that I think... Like when stopping, with RFT I know exactly how many inches I just moved or stopping... But with the normal tire, I cant FEEL the road. When accelerating, it doesnt feel like accelerating that the feel I had with RFT, I'm sure the speed is the same for accelerating but the feel of the road is not there.
Also the normal tire is VERY quiet compare to RFT.
Also, normal tire doesnt do the thing where the tire drag you to the other lane, I believe it's call tramlining or something like that. Basically it drive like a normal sedan car.
For the RFT, I only got 9,000 miles out of my rear tire already made a hole in the tire.

As my girlfriend had put it simple analogy when I was describing it to her but she couldnt understand... With RFT, it's like you're having sex with a very skinny chick... Every movement is precise but rough and in control while with normal tire is like you're having sex with a big chick where you dont feel the road much and everything seem bouncy and out of control...

But as for a personal choice, I think I like the RFT better due to the feel of the road but hate the noise and tramlining (tramlining almost dragged me into trucks so many time).

I only had about 20miles on it so I think maybe I'm so used to RFT that Im not used to the normal tire yet.

Also, if you're getting your tire changed at anywhere, do a price match... I got mine price matched at local Goodyear local service center with Tirerack.com
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Sport
You keeping a low profile jack in the trunk now or just taking a chance in case of flat tire?
Old 12-27-2009, 02:30 AM

I will get a backup full size tire and put it in the trunk... When I need space, I'll take it out... But if just daily driving, I will just make space and leave it in the trunk...
Old 12-27-2009, 08:37 AM
ajeepthing.com

Mein Auto: 09 FJR1300 06 Jetta 03 Z4
I noticed the different between the two cars I drove this week - one with RFT and the other normal all seasons (well, summers, really).

RFT are not as comfortable, BUT, I in now way found the ride objectionable.

I did wonder, though, when tire change time comes around, would the RFTs make it more difficult to change the tires, thus increasing the chance of rim damage?

For now, I'll be ordering the jack kit and mini space for daily commuting back up. Since I like having winter and summer rims for my cars, I may order a new set of rims with high-performance run flats for the summer - we'll see.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:48 AM

WHOW!!! These tires are so good in snow... Today, my place has 6 inches of snow... I was curious to test out the tire, it gripped with absolutely no problem... I tried doing a sudden stop, it slipped over the snow at a very short distant before coming to complete stop...

My Z4 as my winter vehicle... So lovely...