Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
2006 Z4M Roadster price opinions...

I'm looking at a CPO 2006 Z4M Roadster in Interlagos Blue with only 15K miles. From what I can tell, the car comes with premium package and navigation. I believe I can talk the price down to $30K (from $35K list). Is this a good deal? Should I jump on it?

Thanks in advance...
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveappen View Post
I'm looking at a CPO 2006 Z4M Roadster in Interlagos Blue with only 15K miles. From what I can tell, the car comes with premium package and navigation. I believe I can talk the price down to $30K (from $35K list). Is this a good deal? Should I jump on it?

Thanks in advance...
To me this sounds high as I paid $29K last April for a 9500 mile car(no navigation though). I would think 8mths later in the dead of winter you could buy one cheaper. The CPO is worth something extra though.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:03 AM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:

Thanks in advance...

My off-lease car sold last December at the dealership for $31-32k (can't remember the exact number, but they did not CPO it), with 14k miles and the same options (Interlagos Blue/Blk, Premium, Nav, Heated Seats).

I was actually just looking at prices and it seems like they have not changed much in the past year. I'd say $30k is a good buy with CPO. If you find a similar car without CPO, probably $26-27k.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 12-27-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
My off-lease car sold last December at the dealership for $31-32k (can't remember the exact number, but they did not CPO it), with 14k miles and the same options (Interlagos Blue/Blk, Premium, Nav, Heated Seats).

I was actually just looking at prices and it seems like they have not changed much in the past year. I'd say $30k is a good buy with CPO. If you find a similar car without CPO, probably $26-27k.

Great, thanks for the feedback guys. So CPO usually warrants ~$3-4K increase in value?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:50 PM
I know a thing or two...

Quote:
Great, thanks for the feedback guys. So CPO usually warrants ~$3-4K increase in value?
Yes, BMW increased the price of the CPO warranty for their M cars a few years ago and now the dealer "cost" for the warranty is in the $2k+ range... plus it is assumed that CPO cars have been through a more rigorous inspection/reconditioning process.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 12-27-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, BMW increased the price of the CPO warranty for their M cars a few years ago and now the dealer "cost" for the warranty is in the $2k+ range... plus it is assumed that CPO cars have been through a more rigorous inspection/reconditioning process.

Gotcha.

Also, for those that have owned the car, what are your opinions on the ride quality? Primarily on long road trips with likely long stretches of straight, boring freeway...

Is it too harsh? Did any of you have any wives/SO's that approved or didn't approve of the ride quality? Ultimately, that may be the deciding factor

We plan on test driving the car but wanted some feedback from folks that have lived with the car.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2009, 02:08 PM
I know a thing or two...

Quote:
Gotcha.

Also, for those that have owned the car, what are your opinions on the ride quality? Primarily on long road trips with likely long stretches of straight, boring freeway...

Is it too harsh? Did any of you have any wives/SO's that approved or didn't approve of the ride quality? Ultimately, that may be the deciding factor

We plan on test driving the car but wanted some feedback from folks that have lived with the car.

Thanks!
The suspension is firm but not terrible. It can be a bit harsh on rough pavement, potholes, etc. but it goes very smoothly on the highway. Another plus is the conventional (vs. runflat on the regular Z4) tires and conventional (vs. electronically-boosted on the Z4) steering.

Three concerns that I had for long-distance driving were a) the seating position, b) the confining interior and c) the limited fuel range. The seats are very comfortable, but you sit so low in the car and the position gets a bit uncomfortable on long drives... and the interior is pretty small. The lack of range sort of helps you out here, the range on a tank of fuel is not that far so you do have to get out of the car and walk around a bit every few hundred miles. In terms of seating position and interior space, you'd have these "problems" with any roadster you buy so it is not really a flaw of this car, just something to be prepared for buying this type of car. You might get a greater range on a tank of fuel with a regular Z4, but the car is just not as much fun to drive.

I loved the car, miss it dearly, and if my needs allow it I will certainly buy another in the future as a 2nd car.

Last edited by SARAFIL; 12-27-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
The suspension is firm but not terrible. It can be a bit harsh on rough pavement, potholes, etc. but it goes very smoothly on the highway. Another plus is the conventional (vs. runflat on the regular Z4) tires and conventional (vs. electronically-boosted on the Z4) steering.

Three concerns that I had for long-distance driving were a) the seating position, b) the confining interior and c) the limited fuel range. The seats are very comfortable, but you sit so low in the car and the position gets a bit uncomfortable on long drives... and the interior is pretty small. The lack of range sort of helps you out here, the range on a tank of fuel is not that far so you do have to get out of the car and walk around a bit every few hundred miles. In terms of seating position and interior space, you'd have these "problems" with any roadster you buy so it is not really a flaw of this car, just something to be prepared for buying this type of car. You might get a greater range on a tank of fuel with a regular Z4, but the car is just not as much fun to drive.

I loved the car, miss it dearly, and if my needs allow it I will certainly buy another in the future as a 2nd car.

Thanks for the awesome feedback. Really helps.

How is the cabin noise with the top up? and at freeway speeds?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the awesome feedback. Really helps.

How is the cabin noise with the top up? and at freeway speeds?
Cabin noise is very reasonable IMO. My S2K was unbearable on the highway for any period of time. The M is like a tomb in comparison. I think the highway ride is quite good as well.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Cabin noise is very reasonable IMO. My S2K was unbearable on the highway for any period of time. The M is like a tomb in comparison. I think the highway ride is quite good as well.

Were you ever able to compare the suspension/ride-quality against a Z4 3.0si?
Old 12-28-2009, 01:47 PM

Also, how has the reliability been for your Z4M's?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
To me this sounds high as I paid $29K last April for a 9500 mile car(no navigation though). I would think 8mths later in the dead of winter you could buy one cheaper. The CPO is worth something extra though.
You've got to consider market conditions and geography. Out here in California performance roadsters can still demand a higher premium than the rest of the country despite the economic melt-down.

A $29,000 roadster plus $800 for the NAV and $2,000 for CPO and maybe $1,000-1,500 for being in California would be how I would look at it. I think a fair price to offer for said roadster would be in the $32,000-33,000 range.

Typically with a relatively new used car I just take 10% off of the list price as a starting point for negotiations.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You've got to consider market conditions and geography. Out here in California performance roadsters can still demand a higher premium than the rest of the country despite the economic melt-down.

A $29,000 roadster plus $800 for the NAV and $2,000 for CPO and maybe $1,000-1,500 for being in California would be how I would look at it. I think a fair price to offer for said roadster would be in the $32,000-33,000 range.

Typically with a relatively new used car I just take 10% off of the list price as a starting point for negotiations.

I've been able to talk the dealer down to $30K for this car. I should jump on it then huh?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
I've been able to talk the dealer down to $30K for this car. I should jump on it then huh?
I think the question to ask is, is the car WORTH $30,000 to you.

I'm of the mindset that even when I bought mine new at $56K it was still a freakin' STEAL. Even with the fact that BMW started offering $7,500 trunk cash with the car basically 6 months after I picked mine up.

Then again, if it were up to me and my money to spend, I would definitely look OUT OF STATE for a better deal.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I think the question to ask is, is the car WORTH $30,000 to you.

I'm of the mindset that even when I bought mine new at $56K it was still a freakin' STEAL. Even with the fact that BMW started offering $7,500 trunk cash with the car basically 6 months after I picked mine up.

Then again, if it were up to me and my money to spend, I would definitely look OUT OF STATE for a better deal.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look. How has the reliability on your car been? Any issues?
Old 12-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look. How has the reliability on your car been? Any issues?
"Reliability" on a BMW is an absolute crap-shoot. While my '06 has been rock solid, there's been a high percentage of engine mount failures...High enough for me to probably go the preventative route and replace my engine mount bolts even though I have not experienced failure. The ONLY PROBLEM to have required attention by the dealership was a noise from the differential on very slow speed turns and was promptly addressed by switching out the diff fluid as instructed by BMW.

Other than the normal squeaks and rattles that comes with an ultra-stiff chassis, and the fact that the NAV doesn't work when the car's parked outside in 110 degree heat all day, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it in nearly 3.5 years of ownership. Knock on wood.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
"Reliability" on a BMW is an absolute crap-shoot. While my '06 has been rock solid, there's been a high percentage of engine mount failures...High enough for me to probably go the preventative route and replace my engine mount bolts even though I have not experienced failure. The ONLY PROBLEM to have required attention by the dealership was a noise from the differential on very slow speed turns and was promptly addressed by switching out the diff fluid as instructed by BMW.

Other than the normal squeaks and rattles that comes with an ultra-stiff chassis, and the fact that the NAV doesn't work when the car's parked outside in 110 degree heat all day, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it in nearly 3.5 years of ownership. Knock on wood.

From what I've gotten from a search, it appears the preventative maintenance for the engine mount failure is simply replacing the bolts, which seems like a rather simple and cheap fix? So nothing too bad, which is good....
Old 12-28-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Completely agree geography makes a difference, but considering we are 8mths down the road, the economy has not really stabilized yet and we are in the winter months, I would be starting around $26K and then adding the $800/$2K and $1500. So I guess using your formula, a CA car at $30K with nav and CPO would be a good deal. I would also suggest looking out of state as he suggested. I think this car: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=386227 may still be around as well if you are looking for a steal. He was asking 26,500 as of 11/09. You could get a feel for it driving it back to CA as well.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Were you ever able to compare the suspension/ride-quality against a Z4 3.0si?
It is similar as the M is stiffer, but the standard tires ride better so I would say it is a wash for ride quality(comparing a sport package equipped si that is). The huge difference is steering feel. The ///M is a world better in this regard than the si IMO.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M Roadster
pm sent
Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 AM

Another good deal on a 2007 with 13K miles. Somebody should snap this up: http://nalleybmw.com/Preowned-Invent...oryId=30074573
Old 12-30-2009, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M Roadster
I priced these pretty extensively in the last 3 months

I started shopping for a 2006 or 2007 M Roadster in October. I bought a 2007 M roadster with 12,200 miles and 2 years left on the warranty for $29,000 two weeks ago from one of the local dealers. Black exterior, red seats, premium, no NAV.

From what I've seen, you can get a 2007 without CPO for as low as $28,000, and even lower if you go outside of a franchised dealership. You can get a 2006 without CPO for as low as $25,000. I saw two or three at that price below 30,000 miles.

I almost bought a 2006 with 6,000 miles on it in early October for $26,000, with no NAV. I was dilly dallying because it only had 6 months left on the warranty, and the dealer was going to tack on $3,000 if I wanted CPO with no room for negotiation. It sold two days after the salesman went through the numbers with me, so I'm assuming $26,000 is a real good price. This was a car in Georgia.

I also remember seeing a 2006 with about 25,000 miles, no NAV, in Omaha for $25,000, in mid-November. It sold pretty quickly.

There was also a 2007 with about 20,000 miles, with NAV and CPO for $30,000 or $31,000 in Las Vegas. I'd consider that one to have been the best deal I've seen so far (but that might be because it was the exact combo I wanted - blue exterior, black interior with aluminum trim and NAV). I just didn't want to fly over there from South Florida or have it shipped that far.

In general, many of the dealers have dropped a couple of thousand dollars in the last two weeks. I don't know if it was related to the announcement of the 35is trim on the new Z4s or the end-of-year motivation of the dealerships, but I started tracking the car I ended up buying in October. It was listed at $35,000 then. In November it dropped to $32,000. Two weeks ago it dropped again to $29,000, at which point I drove over to the dealer.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 Roadster 35i
PM sent