Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Rear wheel bearing replacement

My rear wheel bearings are making some noise. Who would'a thought, at only 306K. I replaced the fronts a while back but the rear ones are going to be more trouble. I know I need some kind of puller but I'm not sure what kind, or if I'm going to be able to pound them back in.

My Bentley manual starts out by saying to remove the drive axle. Seems a bit extreme. I occasionally have thoughts about farming this one out but then I come to my senses. Anybody done it?

Oh hey, just read my Haynes manual again and they also say to remove the drive axle. Doesn't look like that part will be as tough as I thought.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. anon
Ads by Google
Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
My condolences. The drive axles are an easy remove/replace, but getting the wheel bearings out is one of the biggest PITAs in history. Having the bearing removal/installation tool is the difference between a thoroughly annoying job and wanting to gouge your eyes out with a rusty fork.

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 84 318i
I am thinking of replacing the bearings on my e30 too. From what I have heard, the bearing removal is a real pita. Pelican auto parts has the tools that you need for the job and sells them for $270. They also have an article that describes the process. It seems like a lot of money, but I got a quote from the dealer of $345 labor for each side. I wouldn't have it done by them, but this does give you an idea of cost. Even if you could get it done for $200 you would be ahead of the game by buying the tool. The bearings for my car are under $50 including the parts you need to replace during the installation. I think that a repair shop would charge more for the part.

Good luck
Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Renaissance Dude

My Bimmer OEM low cost parts guy here in the people's republic of Berkeley tells me that a slide puller will do the trick. Not sure though. Do you have the hub and bearing assembly in your hand or is it stuck to the vehicle until you pull the hub?

Probably a silly question but I haven't dug into it enough to know. If the assembly is easily removed, I know a good shop that I sometimes use for pressing parts that would probably come in for less than $345 each side.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. anon
Old 12-30-2009, 03:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E30 318i 1991
Are you sure its the bearings and not the CV joints? Jack up one rear side and check for play/noise in the bearing. Worn CV joints can make a noise similar to worn wheel bearings.
If you suspect that it is the CV joints, read my previous post on swopping over left and right driveshafts complete with CVs attached.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 89 E30
just did my rears it was a piece of cake, i just pulled the control arms off took it to the parts store and they pressed them for me. GL
Old 12-30-2009, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 84 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysclean View Post
just did my rears it was a piece of cake, i just pulled the control arms off took it to the parts store and they pressed them for me. GL
What did it cost for the parts and labor?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Renaissance Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
Are you sure its the bearings and not the CV joints? Jack up one rear side and check for play/noise in the bearing. Worn CV joints can make a noise similar to worn wheel bearings.
If you suspect that it is the CV joints, read my previous post on swopping over left and right driveshafts complete with CVs attached.
That is an excellent point. Both would make noise that follows road speed so it would be easy to confuse the two. This noise reminds me of the 'bearings on the way out' noise I had years ago on the front end of a Dodge Omni (FWD) I had for a while (don't laugh, car was fun to drive ).

I've already bought the bearings and might put them in anyway, given my mileage. I'm guessing the CV joints will be more spendy.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Renaissance Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysclean View Post
That's what I wanted to hear. The puller costs around $250 and unless I could rent it out later (probably not easy) it's hard to justify buying it for a one time job. I know a shop I like that could press them for me.