Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW Z3 2.5
Z3: Electric Seat Problem

My passenger seat will operate forward and backward, but not up and down. Unfortunately, it's stuck in the high position. I took the seat out hoping to find a loose connection, but assuming I'd at least find a way to manually lower the seat. I pretty much figured out how the motors drive the mechanisms, but I could not find a way to manually lower the seat. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, it would seem the weak link in the operation would be the switch which people grab and mangle. Has anyone had experience with actually fixing the electronics in the seat.

Thanks in advance. Jim
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2009, 03:51 PM
PROFESSIONAL SLEEPER

Mein Auto: GTI, BLOWN M ROADY
Unless the seat is binding due to worn seat bushings, usaully the motor goes bad. I'm the lucky guy who's had both happen, and actually the exact same motor as yours. Cant manually lower seat unless you disassemble drive mechanism.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW Z3 2.5
Followup to bad seat motor

Okay. Can the motor itself be replaced, or does the entire seat chassis have to be replaced? If yes, can a DYIer replace the motor, and if not, where do I go for help (and please don't say the dealer). Thanks. Jim
Old 12-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 Z3 // 06 X5
If you managed to get the seat uot ..... you should have little trouble replacing the motor. You might consider taking the motor out, lowering the seat then putting the busted motor back in. I don't think I have ever moved the seats up or down. Ebay might be a good place to start for used seats motors...... but most want to sell you the whole seat base, but if they don't get any bids they might just sell the motor.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:24 AM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
Pull the seat out and run the motor back and forth with power tapped straight from the battery to the harness on the motor.

You can test it out and make sure its not the switch or anything like that.
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpire View Post
Pull the seat out and run the motor back and forth with power tapped straight from the battery to the harness on the motor.

You can test it out and make sure its not the switch or anything like that.
I concur.

Brown should be the ground wire (jump to chassis), then there there should be a terminal that runs the motor in each direction. Just *flash* the power to the terminal until you know which direction you want to go.

I made up a short harness that I can attach to a battery (via marine style post clamps) and a spare connector plug that matches the seat's power socket (12VDC to supply power to the seat's switch). Sometimes I need it when I'm doing seat bushings.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Underachiever

Mein Auto: 328,Z3, X3
I get BMW seats from the local BMW wrecking yard. The parts are so expensive its easier just to replace the whole thing for a couple hundred bucks. My .02c worth!!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:42 AM
PROFESSIONAL SLEEPER

Mein Auto: GTI, BLOWN M ROADY
Its been a while since i replaced my seat motor but from what i remember the motor is less than "couple hundred bucks" i believe around 60 bucks, maybe less. If the seat is already out, like randy and other have said just directly hook up the motor to a 12v source to be positive it sthe motor. The motor is easy to replace.