Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-29-2009, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i 2003
Unhappy Code P2096 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1

I drive a 2003 530i BMW with almost 100k on it, this is what has been happening. The car drives great, but sometimes I do get a bit of a rough idle first thing in the morning; other than that it drives real nice.

I first got smacked with three codes P0303 Misfire Cylinder #3; P0420 CAT Efficiency Bank 1; P0133 O2 Sensor Bank 1. I apparently fix those issues because I no longer get these codes.

However after replacing the two Pre CAT O2 sensors my SES light went away by itself, then came back with a P2096.

So then I replaced the Post CAT O2 sensors and my SES light, again went away by itself, but it came back like the first time. I am not sure if it will come back, but based on previous experience with this code it likely will.

What can it possibly be that it recorrects itself and it comes back. Better yet does any body know what I actually need to fix. I will be going on a trip tomorrow so I hope it drives okay.
Ads by Google
Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530I/5SC 97-528/5
Do you still have the misfired code? If you do you should check for rubber boots cracks, vacuum leak, and coils.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: little red wagon
Interesting code... It implies that the rear O2 does more than we think.

Check for any cracks in the exhaust system. They can let unwanted air into the exhaust and cause a false lean condition. Remember Lean means too much air.

We should also look at the rear O2 sensors. Once the car is warmed up, measure the rear O2 voltage. If you have an OBD-2 scanner (I use obd-2.com $122 & laptop) with live data then it is easy. If not, then I hope you have a meter and know how to read a wiring diagram.
If no to both, I think your best bet is to take the car in and have a pro look at it.

After idling for 1-2 minutes the rear O2 should be around .6 volts. See attachment.

Do you have access to an OBD-2 scanner that supports live data? (mode $01)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_O2.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	213294  
Old 01-02-2010, 01:12 PM

Just got back from my 1200 mile trip and overall the car drove nicely with no apparent problems. Did have to put a quarter of a cup of antifreeze, otherwise the car took real good care of use. However I did eventually get that P2096 code back, and it stuck with me thru out the entire trip. The reason I know is that I took my scanner.

However for a short period I did get code P1346, which is a misfire during start Cylinder 3. However once I erased it it never came back so I am not sure what this means other than it appears to be a one time thing.

It is the second time in a couple of months that my scanner mentions Cylinder 3.

For those who asked or are wondering, no other codes have reappeared, and a few weeks ago did have new spark plugs (6) installed and had Cylinder 1 and 3 removed and replaced with new boots.

Will check to see if I have any exhaust leaks in hopes it removes this P2096 code. However is there something I can use to find a small exhaust leak ?

I also do not have a scanner that can be used with a laptop.

This P2096 code is a pain to get rid of.

Last edited by Softhands; 01-02-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 02 525i
Clean or replace your MAF.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:58 PM

My next step would be to look at:
(1) Long term and short term fuel trims
(2) Pre & Post O2 sensors (I know you changed them, but they will tell us what is going on)

The #3 misfire is a clue. The fuel trims will tell us what is going on in bank 1.
I don't think it is the MAF, since the problem is on bank1 and the MAF is connected to banks 1 & 2.

I am thinking your scanner does not support live data, so unless you buy or borrow one I don't know how else to help.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:32 PM

Okay can someone tell me what a fuel trim is and looks like. Is it the fuel rail? Also what should I look for when removing the new 02 sensors I recently replaced? I will clean the MAF, seems to be a simple thing to do. I guess there is no way of checking a exhaust leak without getting down underneath and getting lucking in finding this possible leak. I say it is small since I do not hear any difference in my exhaust before I got this P2096 code. I did get this code after replacing pre 02 sensors, bank 1.

To clean a MAF what should I use? I've been told to stay away from the sensor unless I am using rubbing alcohol. Is this correct?

Last edited by Softhands; 01-02-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhands View Post
Okay can someone tell me what a fuel trim is and looks like. Is it the fuel rail? Also what should I look for when removing the new 02 sensors I recently replaced?
Good question.

To see the fuel trims you need an OBD-2 scanner that supports live date (mode $01)
LongFT_1 = Long term fuel trim bank 1
ShrtFT_1 = Short term fuel trim bank1, etc

They indicate how much fuel is being added (+ fuel trim) or removed (- fuel trim) from the base fuel map/calculation. This allows for normal wear and tear.
Fuel trims should normally be in the range of -10 to +10.
See attached pic for graphic.

There is no need to remove the O2 sensors. The easiest way to see what they are doing is using live data from an obd-2 scanner.

If you plan on keeping your E39 for a while and like to repair it yourself, you will need some kind of OBD-2 scanner. (CarSoft is also good, but more $$) They will save you lots of money!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel_trims.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	213616  

Last edited by Max_VQ; 01-02-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:18 PM

Should I use rubbing alcohol to clean the MAF?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhands View Post
Should I use rubbing alcohol to clean the MAF?
I don't think cleaning the MAF will make any difference, but if you want to clean it you must only use a proper MAF cleaner. Anything else can leave a residue and cause the MAF to under/over read the air flow.

Google MAF cleaner for options...
Old 04-04-2013, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 750il
I have had this code P2096 on my 2003 e39 525i for almost a year. Frist showed up with P0313 which is a misfire code. did a lot of reserch, exhust leak, short in O2 heater circuit. I then cleared the codes. the P0313 went away, but the P2096 was a real pest. Hooked up ODBII reader with real time info. Code PO2096 starts to read when the O2 heater circuit becomes ready. All O2 sensors read within tolerences. Turn out that the Problem was the freakin' "Master Air Flow Sensor" Changed it and all codes are gone and car is running great. I was feeling some slight hesitation in acceleration when getting on highway, that is gone also. I know it is an expensive sensor, don't try cleaning it change it as it may be to far gone for just a cleaning.