Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-27-2015, 04:30 AM
Mein Auto: BMW X5 2003 model
Airbag Reset

Urgent help needed to reset my airbag light on the dash board. My car is X5 2002 model 3.0 petrol auto. The light is on after the battery replacement and the code showing there is something wrong with my rear left airbag. However, I am pretty sure the airbag is fine as there is no warning light before the battery replacement and I do not want to pay the crasy price to the mechanic for just plugging in a few loose connections.

So if anyone could give me any advice on how to fix this issue DIY, appreciated.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Mein Auto: 2006 4.4 sports
Do you have a scanning tool? If not, invest in one - even a cheapy PA Soft and an old laptop. This way you can scan for errors/clear as required.
11/06 4.4i Stirling Grey over Black

66 Valiant slant 6 torqueflite (258K miles original)
68 Valiant slant 6 torqueflite (196K miles original)
71 Dodge Challenger 340 (68K miles original)
86 Dodge Ram 318 auto (86K miles original) on LPG/gas
93 Toyota Landcruiser turbo diesel (the workhorse)
08 Golf tdi six speed manual (the fun economy buzz-box)
09 Chrysler 300C SRT-8 (the thrill machine)
Assorted other work vehicles and farm machines...
Old 11-27-2015, 03:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
Unfortunately there is no easy and cheap method - every time you change battery yourself w/o connecting backup - you risking that things may need reset and you end up paying somebody one way or another. You need a tool which scans and resets the system. Assuming there is no failures - you will be set but if there is a failure (as it could happen that during the battery replacement one airbag got damaged?) - error will come back.
Mechanic is charging you for scanner resetting and insurance as he is taking responsibility for making sure that entire system works - and your or your passenger life may depend on it so don't treat it lightly.

See More Related BMW Stories

airbag reset

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search