Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: e66 & e38 and e39
760li reset oil service light

I have a 760LI. I have gone out of the warrenty from the stealer and have finally had to do my first oil change.

I looked all over for the solution to this quandry and have found it different for my car by one small step from everyones stated resolution on the 750LI. You have to have the car running to reset the oil light. On my car if you do not have the engine running the menu is completely different and you cannot get to the reset area!!

I have copied the details from the web on how to reset below.

1=Sit in the drivers seat,doors shut and key out of slot.
2=Put key into slot and press the start button so the ignition is on.(not started)
3=Wait 5-7 seconds,then press and hold the button in the cluster top of speedo dial.
4=Hold this button for 5-7 seconds and a menu should come up in the middle of the speedo dial when this happens let go of the button and then to scroll through the menu use the same button in the speedo dial until you come to the oil millage.
5=Then press and hold the same button again for 5-7 seconds and the next menu should come up in the rev counter dial,scroll through this menu to reset and press and hold for the last time.
This should reset your millage for the oil.

Again, this may be unique to my car based on the settings loaded by the dealer, but it frustrated me over 5 days looking for a 760LI reset procedure. Hopefully it will help you!
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 760 li
Smile reset engine oil service light

Thank you so much !!! I tried this not knowing if It would work but tried it anyway..... It took me about 20 seconds and I was done !!! Wow.... The dam dealer was trying to charge me a atm and leg,he even said I needed special tools and that he use to work at BMW ,and If I didnt do it right I would fry the harness .... What a @#&$ !! Thanks again ....
Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Thumbs up Many thanks@!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlyride View Post
I have a 760LI. I have gone out of the warrenty from the stealer and have finally had to do my first oil change.

I looked all over for the solution to this quandry and have found it different for my car by one small step from everyones stated resolution on the 750LI. You have to have the car running to reset the oil light. On my car if you do not have the engine running the menu is completely different and you cannot get to the reset area!!

2=Put key into slot and press the start button so the ignition is on.(not started)
3=Wait 5-7 seconds,then press and hold the button in the cluster top of speedo dial.
4=Hold this button for 5-7 seconds and a menu should come up in the middle of the speedo dial when this happens let go of the button and then to scroll through the menu use the same button in the speedo dial until you come to the oil millage.
5=Then press and hold the same button again for 5-7 seconds and the next menu should come up in the rev counter dial,scroll through this menu to reset and press and hold for the last time.

Again, this may be unique to my car based on the settings loaded by the dealer, but it frustrated me over 5 days looking for a 760LI reset procedure. Hopefully it will help you!
You save me a ton of frustration and time and I tip my hat to you!!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Red car still on?

OK, so my red car has been on for a few months telling me I needed to change my rear brake pads & when I finally took my car in to my favorite mechanic (my son) the I-Drive said -8000. I also had my oil changed even though the I-Drive said I did not need one for another 12,000 kilometers. He did both jobs for me & said everything went smooth & home I went. Once I got home I came on this forum to get the instructions on resetting the service warnings. I reset the oil & it displayed OK & the new number was 24,000 kilometers until next service. I then changed the rear brake service warning & it also read OK. I got in the car this-morning & noticed the red car light was still on so I checked the I-Drive & now it reads -16,000 for the rear brakes? Any ideas on where I went wrong & how to correct it? TIA

Last edited by dommm; 10-27-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 745li ,Rx8 & 7
Perfect bro worked easy
Old 04-03-2013, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
Ok, Im stuck on stupid but what is the "cluster on the speedo dial"? I have a 2006 so I just have the circular turning knob in the middle of the arm rest. Not sure what is a speedo dial and surely dont know what cluster youre talking about. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlyride View Post

Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahzay View Post
Ok, Im stuck on stupid but what is the "cluster on the speedo dial"? I have a 2006 so I just have the circular turning knob in the middle of the arm rest. Not sure what is a speedo dial and surely dont know what cluster youre talking about. LOL.
Number (1) in the attachment is the button you use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	369598  
Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: various BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by dommm View Post
OK, so my red car has been on for a few months telling me I needed to change my rear brake pads & when I finally took my car in to my favorite mechanic (my son) the I-Drive said -8000. I also had my oil changed even though the I-Drive said I did not need one for another 12,000 kilometers. He did both jobs for me & said everything went smooth & home I went. Once I got home I came on this forum to get the instructions on resetting the service warnings. I reset the oil & it displayed OK & the new number was 24,000 kilometers until next service. I then changed the rear brake service warning & it also read OK. I got in the car this-morning & noticed the red car light was still on so I checked the I-Drive & now it reads -16,000 for the rear brakes? Any ideas on where I went wrong & how to correct it? TIA
Mileage to service indicators in I-drive are estimates based on how you drive, time, etc. When the brake pads wear to the minimum thickness, a sensor attached to the brake pad is cut thereby opening an electrical circuit that triggers the I-drive warning AND a "brake" light on the instrument cluster. The sensor must then be replaced when the pads are replaced. The "brake" warning light should extinguish after several key on/off cycles. The reason for this is that once the sensor circuit is cut by the rotor, each time you apply the brakes, the rotor completes the circuit. Let off the brakes and circuit is opened again. The computer looks for a consistent closed circuit for a period of time before the light is extinguished. The light can be extinguished via INPA or other tools at any time after the sensor is replaced.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
Thanks a lot. Ill try this when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommm View Post
Number (1) in the attachment is the button you use.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
Mileage to service indicators in I-drive are estimates based on how you drive, time, etc. When the brake pads wear to the minimum thickness, a sensor attached to the brake pad is cut thereby opening an electrical circuit that triggers the I-drive warning AND a "brake" light on the instrument cluster. The sensor must then be replaced when the pads are replaced. The "brake" warning light should extinguish after several key on/off cycles. The reason for this is that once the sensor circuit is cut by the rotor, each time you apply the brakes, the rotor completes the circuit. Let off the brakes and circuit is opened again. The computer looks for a consistent closed circuit for a period of time before the light is extinguished. The light can be extinguished via INPA or other tools at any time after the sensor is replaced.
After a few days of driving & the brake warning light not going off I did a little snooping & realized the brake sensor had been broken during the brake job. Replacing the sensor solved the problem of the warning light not turning off. I was more interested in why the Mileage service indicator doubled from minus 8000 to minus 16,000 over night after resetting it?

Last edited by dommm; 04-05-2013 at 05:59 AM.