Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:22 AM
SuperSnoop's Avatar
SuperSnoop SuperSnoop is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 562
Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Instrument Cluster Repair/Replacment

I have a small problem with my instrument cluster. It's only slightly annoying, but the dealer says it will cost $2,700 to repair. At that price, I'll just live with it. But I was wondering if there are other options.

I've read that a replacement cluster must be new; a used one cannot be re-programmed with the correct odometer reading. Is that true? Is is possible to install a used cluster? If so, how difficult is it?

Or, can my panel be repaired? I saw a repair service listed, but it appeared to be for older models.

Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 AM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop View Post
I have a small problem with my instrument cluster. It's only slightly annoying, but the dealer says it will cost $2,700 to repair. At that price, I'll just live with it. But I was wondering if there are other options.

I've read that a replacement cluster must be new; a used one cannot be re-programmed with the correct odometer reading. Is that true? Is is possible to install a used cluster? If so, how difficult is it?

Or, can my panel be repaired? I saw a repair service listed, but it appeared to be for older models.

Hey, here is very cheap option for you:
Go and buy used cluster off eBay or any salvage yard
Disassemble yours and swap LCD screens, all info will be intact. I can help you if you need help.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 AM
SuperSnoop's Avatar
SuperSnoop SuperSnoop is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 562
Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Hey, here is very cheap option for you:
Go and buy used cluster off eBay or any salvage yard
Disassemble yours and swap LCD screens, all info will be intact. I can help you if you need help.
That's an awesome idea. Do you know if there are any differences in the panel over the years or from right to left? I figure both dials should be the same LCD, but maybe not. I see clusters listed as 02-05 and other listed as 02-08, so I'm not sure how compatible they are. Mine's a 2007.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-11-2012, 10:56 AM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Not sure about LCD screens but hardware is different on 06-08 models
Get the cheapest 06 with 500k miles
Make sure you disconnect battery, otherwise you'll probably get airbag light on.

Last edited by SFbay; 09-11-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-14-2012, 12:51 PM
SuperSnoop's Avatar
SuperSnoop SuperSnoop is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 562
Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Not sure about LCD screens but hardware is different on 06-08 models
Get the cheapest 06 with 500k miles
Make sure you disconnect battery, otherwise you'll probably get airbag light on.
SFbay,

Have you done this before? I picked up an older cluster for cheap, but the LCD is hard-wired to a secondary circuit board by a 200+ conductor ribbon cable. I can't find anything that looks like memory chips on the secondary board, but I see some on the main board. Does this whole piece need to be transplanted?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-14-2012, 01:36 PM
SuperSnoop's Avatar
SuperSnoop SuperSnoop is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 562
Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Here's my photo documentation of the process so far. You can click for a larger image, but the photo quality is very poor.














Last edited by SuperSnoop; 09-17-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-14-2012, 02:43 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
You need only LCD screens replaced, as you can see they are not hard wired, just connectors only.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-14-2012, 02:59 PM
SuperSnoop's Avatar
SuperSnoop SuperSnoop is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 562
Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Here's where I am so far. There's just one big LCD that covers the gauges.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 PM
SuperSnoop's Avatar
SuperSnoop SuperSnoop is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 562
Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Great News!

I pulled the cluster out of my car this evening. Even though it is a newer part number, the LCD and sub-board were identical. I replaced the LCD and it looks perfect now. I've added the final removal photos. Installation is in reverse order. I updated one of the photos because much of that step was not necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-17-2012, 07:11 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop View Post
Great News!

I pulled the cluster out of my car this evening. Even though it is a newer part number, the LCD and sub-board were identical. I replaced the LCD and it looks perfect now. I've added the final removal photos. Installation is in reverse order. I updated one of the photos because much of that step was not necessary.
Yep, congrats man
but there is no way to hear even simple "thank you" for saving you lots of $. Kinda I don't feel like contributing to this forum....

Last edited by SFbay; 09-19-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-04-2016, 03:27 PM
tosby tosby is offline
Registered User
Location: Urbana, IL
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 745Li
ok I now see what has been done so I will try this to see if it works for me. I GUARANTEE you I will give you a THANKS if this works for me...... I am going to try this because I really dont have that type of money right now......
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms