Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-04-2010, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: bmw523
Smile fuse diagram

can any one send me the fuse diagram of the bmw-523i (in english) on th following e-mail (a.krawa@hotmail.com).
thank you vey much.
Ads by Google
Old 01-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
We do not have that model in the USA, so I doubt that our fuse diagrams would help.

In our models, there are fuses in the trunk (above the battery), behind the glovebox, and beside the passenger seat, under the carpet.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Ed,

Can you explain further where are the fuses that "beside the passenger seat, under the carpet"? My secondary air pump was not working. Traced the circuit to the relay box (underneath the cabin air filter housing on the passenger side in the engine compartment), confirmed the relay is good, but found out that there is no voltage/current going to the relay. It looked like the fuse going to this air pump relay was bad, but I could not locate exactly where the fuse is.

Rick
Old 01-21-2010, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530I
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlai528 View Post
Ed,

Can you explain further where are the fuses that "beside the passenger seat, under the carpet"? My secondary air pump was not working. Traced the circuit to the relay box (underneath the cabin air filter housing on the passenger side in the engine compartment), confirmed the relay is good, but found out that there is no voltage/current going to the relay. It looked like the fuse going to this air pump relay was bad, but I could not locate exactly where the fuse is.

Rick
Bentley manual says "under carpet beneath passenger seat." Don't know if the seat has to come out to get at it. I would ask a BMW or indy tech. The photo in my book shows a row of eight fuses with the secondary air pump relay powered by fuse #107 which looks to be closest to the rear of the car. But it's hard to tell the orientation from the photo. At least some of the Bentley electrical sys. photos are from a '98 540i and not all E39s are identical in this regard. These are not like the fuses in your glove box but are fuseable links held down with a hexnut on each end.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 528i
fuse #107

Don't know if this is same image you were looking at the Bently manual, but if you look at the very bottom of the picture you can just about make out the top of the "bmw" logo on the sill treadplates. This should give a point of reference as to the location of the fuse box.

Seat will have to be removed to access, take care with airbags sensors etc.

Fuse #107 is rated at 50A

Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiec View Post

Don't know if this is same image you were looking at the Bently manual, but if you look at the very bottom of the picture you can just about make out the top of the "bmw" logo on the sill treadplates. This should give a point of reference as to the location of the fuse box.

Seat will have to be removed to access, take care with airbags sensors etc.

Fuse #107 is rated at 50A

Hope this helps.
Would my 2000 528i have the same fuse system in it as the pix above? If so, how do I remove the carpet once the seat is removed? I've got about $20.00 worth of change bouncing around in there from when I put all my change on the rear passenger side rear floorboard. During a 1,600 mile drive, the change migrated under the carpet and in that area through the floor vents under the passenger side front seat. Not only does the rattling of the change drive me up the wall, but I'm also worried that some of that change could end up causing a short or something if in contact with those fuses and wires.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:27 PM

Thank for the picture. This seems to confirm what I found in:

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e39/8238717-1.html

"To get to the fuse box under the passenger side carpet, first you have to remove the black trim along the door sill. The plastic clips hold it in. You can pry it up and it'll pop off. Then remove the small plastic trim in front of that (where the right front kick panel is). Then fold the carpet back. Have fun because the carpet is tough!! The fuses are located under ANOTHER foam material. If you open the pass door, and where it says "BMW" on the doorsill, the fuse is about 6" above the sill, and 6" in front of the "W" in the BMW."

I will do it this weekend to confirm.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 528i
Quote:
Would my 2000 528i have the same fuse system in it as the pix above?
Yes, as far as I can tell all e39's have a fuse box in this location. Hopefully you should not have to access it very often.

rLAI528 has posted a description of how to pull back the carpet.

The fuse boxes also have a plastic cover (not shown in the picture) so the likelyhood of loose coins causing shorts in the fuse box should be remote.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:40 PM

Yeah, the fuse location is exactly as shown in the picture above by Eddiec.

After removing all the plastic trims as described above around the lower side of the door, the passenger seat has to be loosen (no need to remove from the car) and tilted back in order to pull the carpet up. After the carpet is pulled up, then a foam has to be removed to expose the fuse box. the fuse box is covered by two plastic covers. Be careful though, the circuit is HOT, i.e. the 12V is alive even with no key in ignition. Luckily, there is no GND or metal around this area. Therefore, the likelihood that it will be short by a coin is rare.

There are a row of 8 fuses as shown. The fuse for the secondary air pump is on the far left. In my case, this fuse is indeed OPEN. It is a strange looking fuse, not the same type as found inside the E-box (underneath the cabin air filter) or inside the trunk (above the battery). The marking on this fuse is BMW 8365901. I cannot find this fuse in any online stores, so I am going to try the dealers.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies10 View Post
...During a 1,600 mile drive, the change migrated under the carpet and in that area through the floor vents under the passenger side front seat. Not only does the rattling of the change drive me up the wall, but I'm also worried that some of that change could end up causing a short or something if in contact with those fuses and wires.
Like eddiec stated...that won't happen...not only because the fuses in the floor are in their own compartment...but the vents under the front seats are connected to an air duct that runs up to either side of the tranny hump where a stepper motor and flap directs air into those ducts. It's not like theirs an open "plenum" under the floorboard where air is pumped in to that entire space and allowed to convect upward thru the floor vents.

The left/right rear seat floor vents are #8 & #9 in the diagram below...
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 01-24-2010, 10:22 PM

Awesome, thanks for all the info, especially noting that this fuse box has a cover which is not shown in the pix. The coins entered this area from under the air duct however. They didn't go up the air duct, but slid in between the duct outlet and the carpet.

What about airbag sensors, someone mentioned that earlier in the post. Do I have to do anything special when disconnecting the seat so the airbags don't deploy or have issues?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 103K miles
Give this a try:

WDS BMW Wiring Diagram System - Model 5 E39 from 09/98
http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...9new/index.htm
Old 01-25-2010, 08:28 AM

Bought the fuse at the dealer this morning. BMW Part # 61138365901, rated 50A $2.50
It is a relatively cheap part, but takes tons of work to debug the problem and to access the fuse box.