Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2010, 07:45 AM
stigst3r's Avatar
stigst3r stigst3r is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 745
Mein Auto: e39
Question delimited speed limit?

Is it possible to remove the 150mph limit of the 540i?

i seen m5 hit up to 180+ once delimited. I was wondering if a similar mod was even available for the e39 540i
__________________

RIP: 1998 540i sport 6spd | daily: 1999 528 m-sport 5spd
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 AM
bmw_n00b13's Avatar
bmw_n00b13 bmw_n00b13 is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: Cambridge, ON
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,372
Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Dinan, conforti chips. Well, any chip. But where in NY are you going to go over 150mph? Keep it on a track, etc.
__________________
'99 528i ('98/12 build). 174,000km BY29428/Royalrot
Breaking My Wallet since 2009
Mods: Stoptech SS brake hose, 280piece toolkit resting on trunk floor, Beisan VANOS seals
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2010, 09:02 AM
540nj 540nj is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: randolph, nj
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 398
Mein Auto: 03 540i6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
Dinan, conforti chips. Well, any chip. But where in NY are you going to go over 150mph? Keep it on a track, etc.
When I want to go fast, I take a trip to Canada. Crazy-fast drivers, no problem going north of 100 mph on the on the road that connects the 401 to Ottawa (416?).

dave
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Josh P.'s Avatar
Josh P. Josh P. is offline
Bimmerholic
Location: Philly
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,678
Mein Auto: 2001 530 SP/PP/CWP/Slush
Don't think there's a Shark Injector for the 540 though there may be a Dinan chip. Check Turner.
__________________

2001 530 Steel Blue Metallic, purchased Dec 03
SP/PP/CWP/Slushbox (I know I know)

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

BMW CCA member for 12 years
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 AM
chiefwej's Avatar
chiefwej chiefwej is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: Tucson, AZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,267
Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
The 540 Sport has an electronic limit of 155 (not 150). That is due to the maximum speed rating of the tires. If you remove the limiter, it still won't exceed about 160 without some serious modification.
__________________
chiefwej 2003 540i ///m-tech 6-speed
Black Sapphire Metallic w/gray
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2010, 10:29 AM
stigst3r's Avatar
stigst3r stigst3r is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 745
Mein Auto: e39
cool , i pretty much just need this for future reference,.. i dont think the tires should be a problem the current tires i got they are rated for 189+ but i don't even plan on going near 150 with that car any time soon. by the time i'm gone be ready for 150+ i want to make sure the car is top mechanical condition. currently im still in the process of restoring this car,.. its almost ready to hit the streets in the future months ahead i would like to invest some money into the performance upgrades
__________________

RIP: 1998 540i sport 6spd | daily: 1999 528 m-sport 5spd
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 AM
bmw_n00b13's Avatar
bmw_n00b13 bmw_n00b13 is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: Cambridge, ON
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,372
Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540nj View Post
When I want to go fast, I take a trip to Canada. Crazy-fast drivers, no problem going north of 100 mph on the on the road that connects the 401 to Ottawa (416?).

dave
You get caught, they'll arrest you and impound your car. Over 150kph does that now, the case may be thrown out (the legislation's unconstitutional-conviction without trial). I've noticed that the roads have gotten a lot slower of late.

And keep it on the track. There's no need to run those kinds of risks. I do 80mph at times, but the skill of drivers around me and the road conditions are such that it's not safe to do that on public roads.

Incidentally, I've noticed that the slowest drivers over the holidays had NY plates. Is the limit there crazy low or something? Everyone's doing like 50mph!
__________________
'99 528i ('98/12 build). 174,000km BY29428/Royalrot
Breaking My Wallet since 2009
Mods: Stoptech SS brake hose, 280piece toolkit resting on trunk floor, Beisan VANOS seals
'99 540i (grandfather's)


Last edited by bmw_n00b13; 01-05-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Jim Rolando Jim Rolando is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Missoula, Montana
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Come to Montana; no traffic, few cops. I am always amazed when I drive here. The speed limit is 75, I generally cruise at about 80 or so and am passed continuously by, mostly SUVs and pickups, going a great deal faster, with six kids in the back seat and a couple of dogs in the box. A recent embarrassing moment? Christmas eve going 90 on the freeway and passed by a Ford Focus like I was standing still.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is online now
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 33,095
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
I would guesstimate that a typical, good-running, delimited 540i would top out at 160-ish....it`s a battle of wind resistance vs. horsepower, and wind resistance *always* wins in the end (it would probably take in excess of 500 RWHP to get an E39 into the 180s)
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-05-2010, 12:38 PM
chiefwej's Avatar
chiefwej chiefwej is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: Tucson, AZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,267
Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
Here in AZ the speed limit is 75. You can run 10 mph over without even being noticed by the PD. So 85 is normal speed. In some of the more sparsely populated areas there are open desert highways that stretch on straight and open to the horizon. I once spent about 45 minutes cruising at 135+ in my 540. It an amazing feeling to set the cruise control well north of the century mark and set back and watch the country roll by. Covering 100+ miles of scenery in well under an hour, well let's just say I didn't feel a need to travel any faster, at least not on any public road.
__________________
chiefwej 2003 540i ///m-tech 6-speed
Black Sapphire Metallic w/gray
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-05-2010, 01:11 PM
bmw_n00b13's Avatar
bmw_n00b13 bmw_n00b13 is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: Cambridge, ON
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,372
Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rolando View Post
A recent embarrassing moment? Christmas eve going 90 on the freeway and passed by a Ford Focus like I was standing still.
Probably some guy like me 5 years ago, trying to max out his parent's car.
__________________
'99 528i ('98/12 build). 174,000km BY29428/Royalrot
Breaking My Wallet since 2009
Mods: Stoptech SS brake hose, 280piece toolkit resting on trunk floor, Beisan VANOS seals
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is online now
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 33,095
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
Probably some guy like me 5 years ago, trying to max out his parent's car.
Yep....standing on the gas pedal with both feet, trying to squeeze every last mph out of that sucker.... :-)
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-05-2010, 03:38 PM
andyffer andyffer is offline
WTB - your E39 M5
Location: Southwest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,216
Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
Here in AZ the speed limit is 75. You can run 10 mph over without even being noticed by the PD. So 85 is normal speed. In some of the more sparsely populated areas there are open desert highways that stretch on straight and open to the horizon. I once spent about 45 minutes cruising at 135+ in my 540. It an amazing feeling to set the cruise control well north of the century mark and set back and watch the country roll by. Covering 100+ miles of scenery in well under an hour, well let's just say I didn't feel a need to travel any faster, at least not on any public road.
Yeah I was doing 60 (in a 40) and a couple of cops going in the opposite direction and they just went on by (two separate times within a min of each other). Keep in mind 60 would be probably 56-57mph really. I like gettin up to 75 on Lincoln
__________________
Unencumbered by the thought process

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Dking078's Avatar
Dking078 Dking078 is online now
Nor genius Nor ignorant
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,253
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
Here in AZ the speed limit is 75. You can run 10 mph over without even being noticed by the PD. So 85 is normal speed. In some of the more sparsely populated areas there are open desert highways that stretch on straight and open to the horizon. I once spent about 45 minutes cruising at 135+ in my 540. It an amazing feeling to set the cruise control well north of the century mark and set back and watch the country roll by. Covering 100+ miles of scenery in well under an hour, well let's just say I didn't feel a need to travel any faster, at least not on any public road.
wow.. super bad milage or iffy for going 135 that long? I agree with the 10mph above posted. Some times in LA (210 away from LA) freeway at about 9-11pm you can go 80mph with no problems with very little traffic and its like butter, any faster and it starts to get scary. Its more of an "Opps im going XX fast." Just keep in mind that police could be anywhere.

Anyway. The limiter can be removed via software (Dinan), but were dont go much fast than 155 if im right. wasnt our top 167? Now if you a non-sport then its a 125(+-) limit. IMO theres really no need to delimit the car. I mean where are you going to use it?
__________________
~The Fun Cars~
2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
[Msport] [DSP] [AUX] [ICE V6] [BSWs] [DINAN Trans & Strut Bar] [M Audio Subs] [E38 lighted int. door handles] [E46 Paddleshifters] [Cubic Trim] [EURO Dash] [KONI's] [Two-tone Interior]

For Sale
E39 OEM Center Console Storage Trays [Click] $30



Last edited by Dking078; 01-05-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-05-2010, 04:07 PM
chiefwej's Avatar
chiefwej chiefwej is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: Tucson, AZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,267
Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
wow.. super bad milage or iffy for going 135 that long? I agree with the 10mph above posted. Some times in LA (210 away from LA) freeway at about 9-11pm you can go 80mph with no problems with very little traffic and its like butter, any faster and it starts to get scary. Its more of an "Opps im going XX fast." Just keep in mind that police could be anywhere.

Anyway. The limiter can be removed via software (Dinan), but were dont go much fast than 155 if im right. wasnt our top 167? Now if you a non-sport then its a 125(+-) limit.
The car didn't feel much different than it feels at 80 and as far as gas mileage, I didn't notice a huge difference for that portion of the road trip.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-05-2010, 04:20 PM
andyffer andyffer is offline
WTB - your E39 M5
Location: Southwest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,216
Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
Anyway. The limiter can be removed via software (Dinan), but were dont go much fast than 155 if im right. wasnt our top 167? Now if you a non-sport then its a 125(+-) limit. IMO theres really no need to delimit the car. I mean where are you going to use it?
+1 if the limit is 155. 128 I could see times when you would be able to go faster but then the question of how often and if its worth the money for the chips. The chips are only about what $350?
__________________
Unencumbered by the thought process

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-05-2010, 04:25 PM
540 M-Sport's Avatar
540 M-Sport 540 M-Sport is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,807
Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
The 540 Sport has an electronic limit of 155 (not 150). That is due to the maximum speed rating of the tires. If you remove the limiter, it still won't exceed about 160 without some serious modification.
The 155 limit has nothing to do with the tires, it was a (voluntary) standard set by the European Union.

Why the automatic trans cars have a 128mph limit is beyond me...but I had mine removed via BMW Seattle/Dinan software.
__________________
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.

Last edited by 540 M-Sport; 01-05-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-05-2010, 04:39 PM
andyffer andyffer is offline
WTB - your E39 M5
Location: Southwest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,216
Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
The 155 limit has nothing to do with the tires, it was a (voluntary) standard set by the European Union.

Why the automatic trans cars have a 128mph limit is beyond me...but I had mine removed via BMW Seattle/Dinan software.
Auto can go 155. Its the sport package that raises the limiter NOT the transmission
__________________
Unencumbered by the thought process

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-05-2010, 04:49 PM
djfitter's Avatar
djfitter djfitter is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,532
Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyffer View Post
Auto can go 155. Its the sport package that raises the limiter NOT the transmission
And because of that, the tires also had to change in speed rating.

dj
__________________
'08 535i
Deep Sea Blue
Cream Beige
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 PM
540nj 540nj is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: randolph, nj
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 398
Mein Auto: 03 540i6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
You get caught, they'll arrest you and impound your car. Over 150kph does that now, the case may be thrown out (the legislation's unconstitutional-conviction without trial). I've noticed that the roads have gotten a lot slower of late.

And keep it on the track. There's no need to run those kinds of risks. I do 80mph at times, but the skill of drivers around me and the road conditions are such that it's not safe to do that on public roads.

Incidentally, I've noticed that the slowest drivers over the holidays had NY plates. Is the limit there crazy low or something? Everyone's doing like 50mph!
I can always find a train of cars going 140kmph on the 401, which is my limit except for special occasions. In NJ/NY/PA, I usually keep the speedo straight up at 80mph (in a 65), which is actually 76, and haven't got pulled over in the last 10+ years. Or maybe I should say no ticket - got pulled over in Kingston NY, coming off an entrance ramp. The cop said he didn't clock me, but "knew I was going too fast". I might have hit 70 in the 55, but the 20 - 70 in 4 secs got me pulled over. No ticket, which my clients couldn't believe, as it is a notorious local speedtrap, and I had jersey plates!

dave
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Breakzilla Breakzilla is offline
Registered User
Location: St.Louis, MO
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 56
Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540nj View Post
The cop said he didn't clock me, but "knew I was going too fast".
What a cheap shot! That reminds me of the time I got sharked at a damn Quicktrip for expired plates. What a crock of **** that was.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 AM
crex65439 crex65439 is offline
Registered User
Location: nj
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: 02 530i
whats the limiter on a 530i ... 120 something right ?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-06-2010, 01:39 AM
LaCrosse540i6's Avatar
LaCrosse540i6 LaCrosse540i6 is offline
Smiling from gear to gear
Location: WI
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,079
Mein Auto: '03 540i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
I would guesstimate that a typical, good-running, delimited 540i would top out at 160-ish....it`s a battle of wind resistance vs. horsepower, and wind resistance *always* wins in the end (it would probably take in excess of 500 RWHP to get an E39 into the 180s)
Why is it that a delimited e39 m5 can hit 180? Even with the software I would guess they sit at 325-335whp.. Not sure where the 500whp comes into play..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-06-2010, 04:03 AM
franka franka is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lakewood
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,770
Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakzilla View Post
What a cheap shot! That reminds me of the time I got sharked at a damn Quicktrip for expired plates. What a crock of **** that was.

If the cops can sit outside, close to their coffee and week old sandwiches, and write tickets, then they will.

You were the low hanging fruit.

Why is writting a ticket a crock?

Do you have to be moving to make it a fair game, errrr ...ticket ?
__________________
Frank
540/6

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-06-2010, 04:08 AM
franka franka is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lakewood
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,770
Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCrosse540i6 View Post
Why is it that a delimited e39 m5 can hit 180? Even with the software I would guess they sit at 325-335whp.. Not sure where the 500whp comes into play..
No way 180 in M5

The air resistance increase between 150 and 180 is way too much greater.
__________________
Frank
540/6

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms