Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Dynamic Drive System Malfunction 2008 X5

I had a warning sign "Dynamic Drive, System Malfunction" come up on a relatively moderate curve at 40 mph. Hit a few small potholes on highway before that, but nothing major. On restarting the warning went away, but then came up again while driving in a parking garage. Restarted the following morning, no warning again.

Anyone had similar experience? What are possible causes?

Appreciate any info!
Ads by Google
Old 01-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by calif11 View Post
I had a warning sign "Dynamic Drive, System Malfunction" come up on a relatively moderate curve at 40 mph. Hit a few small potholes on highway before that, but nothing major. On restarting the warning went away, but then came up again while driving in a parking garage. Restarted the following morning, no warning again.

Anyone had similar experience? What are possible causes?

Appreciate any info!
Well, I have a 550 but I got the same warning.

I left my car off to be detailed and when I picked it up to drive it off the warning was on the panel. I drove a while, stopped in a parking lot, shut the car off and then restarted and the message went away. I drove home (about 10-15 miles) and didn't see it reappear.

I called my BMW dealer's service dept. (I just picked the car up 10 days ago) and the woman at the other end said not to make a service appointment unless the message reappears. I also asked if it was OK to drive the vehicle with that warning displayed and she said it was.

We'll see; I'm wondering what the detailers could have done to my car. Do I look like Ferris Bueller?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: x5
I had that warning twice, so took it to dealer today. They just got back to me saying that the valve block linked to the DSC has to be replaced. From what I see online, it doesn't look like a common cause for DSC failure (there are posts citing steering angle sensor more often). In any case, I gave a go ahead to replace the block, though don't feel fully comfortable with just one opinion on the issue.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:34 AM

My DDM message just came back yesterday, about a week after it first appeared (briefly, then disappeared when I restarted the engine).

In my case it seems to occur when the car has been left out in the cold for a few hours (I garage my car most of the time so this wouldn't apply).

I have an appointment next Wednesday to bring my 550i in. The car is only two weeks old (and had only 300 miles on it when the message first appeared) so I'm pi***d, but I'm more worried that this will be an ongoing issue. At least this doesn't stop me cold; apparently there are no safety issues if you keep driving the car while waiting for service.

To be fair, I had a relay on a brand new MB E63 fail within the first month, so these things happen. But there may be something in the design of the (fill in the blank with the part that's at fault) that makes it susceptible to the cold, among other things.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:12 AM
BMW Driver

Send a message via Skype™ to bghubr
Mein Auto: 02 745LI
You can also check to make sure the power steering reservoir is full.
Low fluid will also cause this message to pop up. Also weak battery and/or
alternator causes all sorts of messages.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bghubr View Post
OK, I'll practice by checking the power steering fluid.

As far as the alternator or low battery, well, I'm not touching those. I'll let my dealer handle them (whether it was a new car or not, but especially since it's only got 550 miles on it).

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 E70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bghubr View Post
I had the same error on my car, and I just filled the steering reservoir, and the error disapered.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olavskar View Post
I had the same error on my car, and I just filled the steering reservoir, and the error disapered.
OK thanks, is there a diagram or tip that will tell me which one is the PS reservoir?

I looked in my manual but apparently BMW doesn't consider that a normal maintenance task.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 535
I have a 2009 535xi. Have the car for about 2 years. The same malfunction lights have come on twice so far, along with the vehicle dash board display showing the car on a lift. Maybe cold weather has something to do with it, or like today it was raining. Had the vehicle parked on an incline in my driveway for about 10 hrs. out side both times. Another odd thing is that the passenger seat belt chime doesn't come on when somebody is seating in the seat with the belt not fastened. I'll check the power steering fluid level. It's also possible that battery is low . . .haven't been using the car that much with the snow and cold weather here in the Notheast, or maybe it's old age BMW. . .
Edit/Delete Message
Old 07-04-2011, 07:28 PM
BMW: Lotus for Grownups

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Try recharging your battery overnight from time to time. Trickle charge is probably fine.

I bought a 2007 550i with 22k miles and within a week I started getting these dynamic drive errors. I freaked, but found a hint to charge the battery in the 750 forum. (Yea Bimmerfest!!!)

After some thought, this makes sense. My driving had been short commutes with low RPM in non-sport mode, with hard cornering and trailing throttle on exit ramps. In this situation with no alternator rpm and heavy corning load the dynamic drive has no options other than to eat major battery reserves. Imagine how much energy is consumed holding this 4000 lb. car flat in hard cornering! Wisely, when the car detects sagging voltage under strain it cuts the DD off to protect other more important systems that aren't so juice hungry.

So your options are:
1) run in sport mode to try to keep your charging rpm's up, maybe it'll stay charged,
2) do something other than boring commutes to work!
3) charge your battery from time to time.

Of course, your battery might be failing, too, but you'll have other symptoms coming along if that's the case.

sb.

Last edited by siriusblack; 07-04-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 535
Your right about the battery voltage affecting the dynamic drive. Another thing that appears to cause the battery to drain down was the fact that I garaged the car, and never locked it. I found out that when you do not lock the car that the electronics goes into a sleep mode and draws current from the battery. At times during the winter when the problem would appear I guess due to colder weather and the fact I wouldn't use the car for days...using my wife's car instead.. So next winter if I'm not using the car, I'll lock the doors to shut down the electronics. Thanks For The Post . . .