Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
2001 BMW 525i stalling problem

My 01 525i stalls upon acceleration. Not all the time. I'll be driving along (25mph) as I begin to accelerate it may feel as if a few cylinders are cutting out and not accelerate. If I pull over and put it in park it ideals fine but the minute I start driving again it may act up again, it doesn't stall just acts as if the accelerator peddle was unhooked!!! Weird! Sometimes I can shut off the engine remove the key restart and everything is fine for a few miles then it starts acting up again. Very frustrating, tired of paying mechanics $500 and end up with the same problem over again. It seems like it happens as the car is beginning to shift gears. If I push on the accelerator it gets worse! Sometimes I can get off the gas and it corrects itself and everything seems fine!!!
I'm thinking throttle control poition sensor. When it first started happening (6 months ago) the mechanic replaced the exhaust throttle control position sensor and the problem went away however the engine light came back on after a few days. It's been getting progressively worse in the past few weeks. I live in St.Pete florida if that helps! I don't know what I'm going to run out of first, patience of billfold. Can anybody relate to this situation and suggest a solution other than dumping this bimmer. We really like the car just hate this problem.
Ads by Google
Old 01-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
Get the CEL read

I would get the codes run f then go from there, it's never wise to just throw parts at a problem.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:50 PM

Lets start all over!!!!!

2001 BMW 525I with 110,000 miles

January 8, 2010

Symptoms:
During acceleration from a stop the car may begin to stall (sudden loss of power) at about 1500 to 2000 rpm. It feels as if a few cylinders are misfiring. If you back off the accelerator and coast the problem may correct itself upon slight acceleration. Sometimes I may have to pull the car over and shut it down, pull the key and restart, the problem may or may not go away upon driving again. This has been intermittent for about a year now. The last time I had it in the shop (3 months ago) they replaced the Exhaust Throttle Position Sensor. The problem seemed to be corrected however the “Check Engine Light” came back on and the problem is back. The following is the codes as of 1-8-10

PO171 (OEM Brand: Volkswagen)
Definition: System too lean – bank 1 (Cylinder #1 denotes bank 1)
Explanation: Low fuel pressure or volume
Probable cause:
1) Faulty HO2S (Heated Oxygen Sensor)
2) Large vacuum leak
3) Faulty MAF sensor

PO174 (OEM Brand: Volkswagen)
Definition: System too lean – bank 2
Probable cause:
1) Faulty HO2S (Heated Oxygen Sensor) Bank 2
2) Large vacuum leak
3) Faulty MAF sensor

PO300 (OEM Brand: Volkswagen)
Definition: Random cylinder misfire detected
Explanation: Lean Air/Fuel ratio
Probable cause:
1) Ignition misfire condition
2) Fuel injector fault
3) Engine mechanical condition

PO313 (OEM Brand: OBDII)
The PCM has determined that a misfire has occurred with low fuel.

P1347 (OEM Brand BMW)
Definition: Misfire cylinder 3 with fuel cut-off

P1351 (OEM Brand BMW)
Definition: Misfire cylinder 5 with fuel cut-off
Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
My best guess is that you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Likely locations to start looking: intake manifold boots & CCV hoses. Open the hood and listen while someone revs the engine. You should be able to hear the difference.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
I experienced the same issues and very similar codes with my Passat. I had a torn vac line and two bad ignition coils.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:45 AM

thank you guys. I'll check for vacuum leaks first. How do I check for bad "ignition coils"? I don't even know what an "ignition coil" is!!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:15 AM

Erased all the codes. Started driving the car again. Car began to stubble as it always does, NO ENGINE LIGHT. Drove the car for about 25 miles with ocassional stumbling (got off the gas and slowly accelerated and everything seemed to correct itself). Got to about 30 miles of driving and the engine light came on. occasional stumbling. Went to Autozone and had it scanned again. Here are the results

P1347, PO171, PO174

Where do I go from here?

Autozone wants to sell me four O2 sensors. two for each bank, cost $275 plus someone to install. Unfortunately, Autozone can't promise me that this will resolve my problem. That's reasuring! LOL I don't feel like throwing parts on the car only to find myself back at square one next week. Been there done that don't want to do that again. HELP, PLEASE!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 MB 300D
Curious if you have come up with a solution yet? I am having a similar issue with a 1999 740il. I am going to change the fuel filter tonight. I am getting the p0171 and p0174 codes alng with ones for the secondary air injection. Prior to this point I also had a code for the MAF sensor, which I have replaced and am not getting that code anymore, but the car goes into engine fail safe mode and basically dies. I can try restarting it and it'll keep dieing. If I let it sit a few minutes, it'll start up and run okay for a bit.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:18 AM

Finally had a chance to change the fuel filter. Same thing. I also checked for vacuum leaks and can't locate any. I had reset the codes and no new codes came up. When driving, especially if I floor it, it'll go into engine fail safe mode and basically stall. One interesting thing... I have a OTC Genesis tool that I hooked up while I was test driving. I have never really paid attention to the STFT readings, but I was reading another post on here about trying to narrow down the issue. Is it normal for the Bank 1 and 2 sensor 2 readings to never change? They stayed at 99.2%. The Bank 1 and 2 Sensor 1 would change from 0 to + or - a small number. Help!

Last edited by mkrazy1; 02-22-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:14 AM

Just to update the thread... The issue ended up being the oil separator.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2001 525i
Kingfish did you get that problem fixed? I have a 525i with the exact same problem and wanted to see if you where able to fix it. Thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
2001 BMW 525I with 110,000 miles

January 8, 2010

Symptoms:
During acceleration from a stop the car may begin to stall (sudden loss of power) at about 1500 to 2000 rpm. It feels as if a few cylinders are misfiring. If you back off the accelerator and coast the problem may correct itself upon slight acceleration. Sometimes I may have to pull the car over and shut it down, pull the key and restart, the problem may or may not go away upon driving again. This has been intermittent for about a year now. The last time I had it in the shop (3 months ago) they replaced the Exhaust Throttle Position Sensor. The problem seemed to be corrected however the “Check Engine Light” came back on and the problem is back. The following is the codes as of 1-8-10

PO171 (OEM Brand: Volkswagen)
Definition: System too lean – bank 1 (Cylinder #1 denotes bank 1)
Probable cause:
1) Faulty HO2S (Heated Oxygen Sensor)
2) Large vacuum leak
3) Faulty MAF sensor

PO174 (OEM Brand: Volkswagen)
Definition: System too lean – bank 2
Probable cause:
1) Faulty HO2S (Heated Oxygen Sensor) Bank 2
2) Large vacuum leak
3) Faulty MAF sensor

PO300 (OEM Brand: Volkswagen)
Definition: Random cylinder misfire detected
Explanation: Lean Air/Fuel ratio
Probable cause:
1) Ignition misfire condition
2) Fuel injector fault
3) Engine mechanical condition

PO313 (OEM Brand: OBDII)
The PCM has determined that a misfire has occurred with low fuel.

P1347 (OEM Brand BMW)
Definition: Misfire cylinder 3 with fuel cut-off

P1351 (OEM Brand BMW)
Definition: Misfire cylinder 5 with fuel cut-off
Kingfish did you figure out your problem with your car. I have the same issue and have tried everything but have gotten no where. I will take the car in this weekend for a smoke test to see if it is a vacuum leak. Thanks
Old 02-18-2012, 03:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuajef View Post
Kingfish did you figure out your problem with your car. I have the same issue and have tried everything but have gotten no where. I will take the car in this weekend for a smoke test to see if it is a vacuum leak. Thanks
Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Bad fuel pump, clogged filter, gas tank not venting properly. When a failure occurs, stop open the gas cap. Does air rush in? If so, then it is not venting properly. Get a fuel pressure gauge on it to see if pressure is correct. Especially when you quickly open the throttle.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:30 PM

Thanks gtxragtop I will look into that. I am currently at a shop getting a smoke test to see if I have any vacuum leaks. I will post if there are any and I will look into the info you gave me. Also I did change the fuel filter recently with one from the dealer. If it is the fuel pump is there DIY on it that you know of? Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 07:43 AM

As an additional update to maybe help here. After replacing the oil separator on the '99 740, most of the issues cleared up for a bit but then it started stumbling again and came up with the p0171 and p0174 error codes again. I found it had a vacuum leak at the oil separator hose under the intake manifold at the front. I replaced that and it ran great most of the time, but would still hesitate if you floored it. I was still getting the codes also. I finally replaced the MAF and it resolved the problems. The thing is, I had already replaced the MAF a few months back but apparently it was a bad unit. Anyway - the biggest reason I have found for getting those codes is a vaccum leak. You can spray some brake cleaner around the intake while it is running to help aid in finding the leak (the rpm will change) but be careful since it is flamabel.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 525I
Been told a couple things,, tired of this problem please help..

I have a 01 525i, from what I've read a couple of you are experiencing the same problems. The stalling issue, let's start off, my check engine light has been on for a few weeks, shorty after my first experience with it stalling happened... I was driving at the regular speed limit when I felt the car tremble, as I accelerated I was noticing the mph wasn't moving, it was decreasing, as much as I accelerated it would only reach 20mph and slow down till I had to pull over and let the car rest. After reaching my destination I had to stop about 6times cause it kept stalling after a short period of it working again. Left the car alone for about an hour and I had my friend check it out and the computer didn't read anything, basically just told me it could be my spark plugs. After 2weeks it happens again, but this time my car hasn't moved for about 4days, last encounter with it, it stalled on me an completely turned off luckily right at the moment I was pulling into my drive way so I pushed it in. Now everytime I turn the car on it shakes and makes a weird noise as if something was switching gears. What could be the problem? I don't want to take it to the mechanic and had the issues come back as I've read has happened to most people. I just want to fix this problem...
Old 04-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
It seems to me that you described the exact problem that I had before (also an 01 525i) It barely moved eventhough I had the accelerator to the floor. CEL was on with a bunch of codes, mainly vacuum leak and misfire. I checked the air intake elbows and found no crack or leak, but the oil return hose from the CVV to the oil pan was completely broken. Oil was dump to the cover under the engine instead of returning to the oil pan. VCG was leaking too. Then the fuel pump died.
To sump it up, I replaced the CVV and all the hoses attached to it and VCG. While I was there, I also replace Vanos seals, Spark Plugs, Air Distributor Unit, OFH gasket, fuel pump and fuel filter, clean throttle body, ICV, MAF. Good thing is that I can do all the work myself so it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. After that, it purrred like a kitten and smooth as butter.

FS 2001 ///M5
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791509
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo
Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 525I
Thanks for all the info. So I got the car checked out yesterday and the CEL read all the codes for the sensors. On top of that, I also have to change my electrical fan and the motor fan could be completely stopped while the car is running. I'm sure my spark plugs have to be changed as well. I was told that was probably the reason why my car overheated. Could that be my problem?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 PM

Stalling problem

I had the same problems as everyone els and I replaced the spark plug extensions and it runs great again.