Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-16-2014, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 318IC
Convertible Top Seals Missing

Can anyone help me find a source and instructions to replace two missing seals on my convertible top? They are immediately behind the door windows between the window and the seal on the rear bow. The would be about 5 inches/12 cm long. When the top is down they seal horizontally against the deck. My local BMW dealer does not show any seals there.
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2014, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 318iC
I thought I had lost mine also after replacing my top recently. Found them both in the storage compartment. Still trying to figure out how to get them to go back on permenetly.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 323IC
Missing top seals

I am also in search of some convertible top seals. I need both of the ones by the arrows. I found what looked to be the correct one behind the window but it turned out to be a small piece of rubber, not the entire part that fills the gap.

Perhaps one of these is the same part the originator of this thread is looking for as well?

If anyone could point me to a source for these parts I would appreciate it.

1998 BMW 323I convertible
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1_a.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	470331  
Old 10-17-2014, 07:58 AM

I will post a picture of the one seal that I have that goes behind the window. Not sure about the arrow that points below the window. That would just be your normal door seals, same as a coupe?

I had a post on another forum and there was a suggestion that someone with the name trayson had information on installing the seals. It was bimmerforums. I have not been able to find anything by searching.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:19 AM

Missing Seals Found

The attached picture is what the tension bow seal looks like for a 96 318IC when new. It appears those mission seals were once attached and must tear over time. Paying $80 or less for that entire seal is not the worst news, since I was expecting to pay $30-$40 each at a dealership. If I had not found this picture I would never have known the seal included more than the bow. All the documented BMW parts diagrams are not helpful at all.

What I can say about my remaining part is it looks like it has been crunched in half many times. I would expect that there is probably some sort of metal tang that holds this to the frame. Will check later
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear seal.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	470366  
Old 10-17-2014, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 318iC
cthomasparr that is exactly the part that came off of mine the part enlarged on the picture. Still have both as I found them laying in the top storage area, but guess I will have to order that whole gasket again to get it fixed correctly.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:36 PM

I would say it's your decision whether or not to try and fix it or replace it. I am missing a piece so I have limited options. it looks like the original seal or three different pieces glued together.

I think you might be able to glue those two small pieces to the seal under the bow.the other end of those pieces clues to a tab that is which is right next to the hinge on the convertible top frame

I found something online that shows where the seal is glued to the top. it is called a convertible top manual for 94 99 BMW 3 Series
Old 10-20-2014, 03:24 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 323IC
Missing convertible top parts

The part mine is missing seems to attach to the body just behind the window where the arrow is pointing. It's not part of the top itself but rather a small 1-1/2" - 2" rectangular plug of some sort.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:15 AM

I did read a posting a while back where somebody had that rectangular part blow off in the wind one day. I would be surprised if you could get it anywhere other than a dealer or scrap yard. Helps to have the BMW part number when searching used on Ebay or through a recycler. I would go down to my dealer, and when he finds the part and says it is $100, ask for the part number and search for a used part on your own. Good luck
Old 10-21-2014, 07:18 PM

Just ordered from ecs tuning under 60$. Such a deal I hope its the right part.