Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-11-2016, 11:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 328i M-Sport
96 328i M-Sport hard shift at high rpm.

Hey guys I'm in Bellevue WA about 3k miles from my e36 but while I was here I wanted to see if anyone could bounce ideas off of me for a hard shifting issue I have with my automatic transmission. It only really occurs at higher rpms meaning over 2.5-3k in the lower gears. Is this normal? It's done this ever since I bought it 13k miles ago in January 2016. If not, what could be the possible causes? I know I need to check the fluid level and color. How do I do this on the 96 model? Is it a plug on the side of the transmission, or do I need to drop the pan and change it anyways. I believe it is the lifetime fluid. Thank you!
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2016, 11:58 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x2,E30x1, F150
I'm sure you know by now that "lifetime fluid" was a marketing ploy.

Checking the level is same as all E36 automatics: get it up on four jack stands so it's high enough to crawl under. Start it, put it in gear and let it run long enough so the transmission oil pans are quite warm to the touch, but not so hot you can't comfortably keep your hand on it/them. Shut the engine off and pull the FILL plug on the side. ATF should dribble out. If not, you could top it off. However, why have you put 13k miles on it with it slam shifting??? You should have at least checked the fluid level LONG ago. Do a fluid and filter change, then see how it shifts.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 & New Member Intro Forum Mod/Bimmerfest Misplaced-Posting Tow Truck
BMW-CCA #441426 My E30 makes me do stupid FUN things.

1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette"

Old 07-12-2016, 12:58 AM

It doesn't slam, I have experienced auto trans that slam when they shift but this is just a bit of a hard shift. I'll definitely check the fluid. How flat of a surface do I need to get it on? I don't have a perfectly even surface to place the vehicle. Also do you know the average cost of the diy filter and fluid change as well as what type of fluid to use? I have seen people vouch for several different brands.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:45 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x2,E30x1, F150
It has to be pretty darn level to check the fluid. Compensate with the settings on the jack stands.

Filter kit from Pelican Parts is ~$50 with shipping. Scroll down on this page:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item3

Make sure which fluid your transmission requires. There should be a sticker on the side of the transmission housing telling which type fluid. It is probably Dexron III or higher, but make SURE by looking. Don't take my word for it. Any name brand fluid of Dexron type 3 or higher will work IF YOUR TRANSMISSION takes Dex3. I wouldn't advise using synthetic. These are old school transmissions and the friction material may not be compatible with synthetic fluid.

Pelican has a good DIY on the process:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Fluid_Auto.htm
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 & New Member Intro Forum Mod/Bimmerfest Misplaced-Posting Tow Truck
BMW-CCA #441426 My E30 makes me do stupid FUN things.

1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette"

Old 07-12-2016, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: pending
And, when refilling the fluid, fill the front sump before you bolt it back on.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:57 AM

Thank you for the links and advice on fluid. On pelican parts why do some filters come with gaskets and call them kits? Should I get the full kit or just the filter?
Old 07-12-2016, 12:02 PM

Ah never mind, I see in the diy that he has the gasket set as well. I will do the change in the next few weeks when I return and update if it worked.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search