Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 97 328i
Rear tire won't come off...and f'd up other stuff

Trying to change my rear tire had it jacked up on the BMW jack, it's a 97 328i. took out the nuts and couldn't get it to budge. I tried a little harder and then the jack collapsed. I can still get the wheel off the ground but the damn tire won't come off or even line up so I can put the nuts back in. The tire isn't rotating even when it's jacked. Parking brake isn't on dono why. Any advice? thanks

Last edited by canadianhockey9; Yesterday at 10:54 AM.
Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 96 328is
Get on the ground and give it a good kick from side to side. It will come off. You have some rust in there. Make sure your jack is secured.
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky3 View Post
Get on the ground and give it a good kick from side to side. It will come off. You have some rust in there. Make sure your jack is secured.
I should be doing this with the tire on the ground though? isn't it sketchy to do that while the car is jacked up?
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

Nah, needs to be up in the air so it has somewhere to move. If the weight of the car is on the ground, the tire has no where to go. Just give it a couple of good whacks with your foot on each "corner" of the tire and it will pop off. Make sure your jacking it up properly though. If your jacking it up correctly, no way a kick should collapse the jack. Read your owners manual for proper jack location.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky3 View Post
Nah, needs to be up in the air so it has somewhere to move. If the weight of the car is on the ground, the tire has no where to go. Just give it a couple of good whacks with your foot on each "corner" of the tire and it will pop off. Make sure your jacking it up properly though. If your jacking it up correctly, no way a kick should collapse the jack. Read your owners manual for proper jack location.
Thanks man, got her to work!
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM

Good!
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
The stock jack is a deathtrap. You should only use it in an emergency when you are stuck on the side of the road. When working on your car, you should use a hydraulic jack with jack stands. You can pick both of them up at Harbor Freight for under $100 and then you won't have to worry about dropping the car on yourself.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
Aim small, miss small

Mein Auto: '95 525iT, '97 328is
Yep, get yourself a real jack. The little factory jack is okay, the rounded base on it though was a terrible idea.

Here's another thing you can try to get the wheel off. Loosen the wheel bolts a little, but don't take them off. Raise the car up, make sure the wheel is off the ground then drop it quickly. The force of dropping it quickly should be enough to knock it loose, but it won't come flying off with the wheel bolts still on.

Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Put some anti-seize compound on the hub before you but the wheel back on so that it doesn't get jammed on there again.
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM
NCC BMWCCA member

Mein Auto: E36 vert
This - Plus hit it with a wire brush to clean all the junk off it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Put some anti-seize compound on the hub before you but the wheel back on so that it doesn't get jammed on there again.