Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
My Engine Bay Crusade with a Free Side of Paint Repair!!! (Tons of Pictars)

When I bought the car back in July, the engine bay looked... pretty skeezy. It was missing the front air duct, caps for the engine cover, strut tower caps, and everything was caked in a good decade of grime. It's hard to see really how much it improved in the pictures, but in person it looks sooooo much better.

The first thing I did was replace the air duct on the top since it was so noticeable, and then I didn't bother with it until this break.

I started with the valve cover, new ones are way way out of my budget, so I figured a good deep cleaning and a few heat resistant rattle cans would help me out.

You can see how flaky this crap they coat the <1995 valve covers with. The M/S52 ones hold up much much better.

Cams!!

^This is sad, but the underside of it is what's really gross.

So I took it off and took it to work to sit and think about what it did wrong for an hour or so in the parts washer.

And got the underside all cleaned out.

I let it dry from the parts washer and hit all the high and loose spots with sand paper. I wasn't able to spend much time on it, because I needed to sqeeze my prep work into a lunch break so I could paint all afternoon and get my car back so I could get to a new years party.

The rough spots on the front are some kind of ungodly stubborn, they weren't going anywhere without a very aggressive power sander, and I didn't have the time or the desire to mess up my valve cover to get into it.

Apparently I forgot to take pictures of it after I painted it. Whoops. Anyways, here's a pic of it on the car with the coils back in.

I took the opportunity to clean the grit off the valve cover bolts with a healthy dose of brake clean.

It's in the little things.
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
King of Drone

This made a pretty noticeable improvement, but it still just looked sad. I spent a lot of the weekend more or less tinkering and beautifying.

I removed all the accessories from each side of the bay and actually polished the paint with a rubbing compound. Then I filled in the big damage spots with touch up paint. This is how it looked before I did anything.

I also remove a lot of broken and crumbled wire loom and clips and other stuff that was no longer serving its purpose.

I also reloomed a lot of wires and wrapped it where the old tape had fallen off.

I painted the ballast flat black to help them blend in better, since I didn't really feel like drilling another hole to remount them.

The horn thing is an aftermarket alarm added by one of the PO's and the wiring looks a little amateur.

So here is where I stood Sunday night, pretty good, but still lacking.

As for tonight... PARTS!!!

I'm pretty please with the outcome. It was a lot of work for an area most people don't see, but I like things being clean and the way they are supposed to be.

(The next post will detail my paint repair)
Old 01-05-2010, 06:23 PM
IM DA BES

Mein Auto: A rental
Very clean!

"The American Dream only makes sense if you're sleeping" - Lowkey
Old 01-05-2010, 06:29 PM
FixItFaster

Mein Auto: EuroS50B30, e83m54b30
Good work cleanin up the engine bay! Looks like it just rolled from the factory.. Well almost
Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
I run as fast as my car.

Mein Auto: e36 coupe
+1 I like, I am going to do the same this weekend!

Flickr Album!!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:37 PM
IM DA BES

Mein Auto: A rental
Eventually ill be steam cleaning the engine bay. That way Id get more of the grime out

But once I haz a reason to pop the hood

"The American Dream only makes sense if you're sleeping" - Lowkey
Old 01-05-2010, 06:38 PM
King of Drone

Some of you might remember back in September when my wonderfully talented roommate plowed into my car on a bike at full speed.

You might also remember my dad owns a mobile autobody repair business, and since my roommate had absolutely no money to pay me even for my deductible, repairing it rested on me. My dads business partner, who manages the paintless dent repair side of the business, and does repairs himself, came by when I was at work and worked out almost all of the dents. Its pretty amazing watching him work, but I wasn't really able to go creep on him and take pictures while he did it.

Anyway, the following weekend, I got up close and personal trying to repair this thing. The fender needs to be refinished to fix it properly, however it is colder than sh!t this week, and my car has a pretty poor quality aftermarket paint job that I know is going to be a complete disaster when I start sanding on it. So repairing it 100% is getting delegated to spring break.

I got rear ended at about the same time this happened, so I just asked the body shop to throw a little touch up paint in the damage for me so it didn't rust. Which they did, poorly.

First thing I did was clean out the wound with some acetone.

Then made some paint.

I used a combination of paint pen and small specialty brushes to apply the paint. No one was hanging around to take pictures for me so I can't show you doing it in action. I can tell you to go very very very slow. I spent about 15 minutes on each application. Work from top to bottom so the paint works its way down. If you go from the bottom up, it will pool at the bottom of the repair and run or just be unsightly.

Here it is after two coats.

Its hard to see in the pictures, but you can see how it still dips down at the repair, the goal is to get it above the paint level.

Getting closer...

closer still...

Now we're talking.

I put about six "coats" on. The reason you want to get it higher than the paint level, is because after the paint has time to cure, you can wet sand it with a block (to keep even pressure) and smooth it back down to near the paint level. Then you can polish it (usually a 3 stage process) and the repair with almost disappear if you are lucky.

Doing that is my next step, because if I can get to the point where I'm happy with it without having to spray it, life will be a lot easier.

Even now its considerably less noticeable than it was without the dents and with a much better touch up in there.

Happy new year!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:50 PM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Milne View Post
Good work cleanin up the engine bay! Looks like it just rolled from the factory.. Well almost
Yeah, it's missing 5 throttle bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_brouhaha View Post
+1 I like, I am going to do the same this weekend!
Word! Good luck!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:48 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Nice job Joey!

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:11 PM
<-NIKi

Send a message via AIM to ianiac Send a message via Yahoo to ianiac
Mein Auto: E36 M3
Hey that looks really good.

I need to do that paint thing. I've got a couple spots (not as bad) that could use some attention. Where did you get the paint to do that?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:44 PM
* BLONDETOURAGE 2010*

Send a message via AIM to Missmodena310
Mein Auto: BMW
wow looks amazing!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 AM
I run as fast as my car.

Mein Auto: e36 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post

I see you got, "paper blocking your vin number from putting some random sh!t on your dash" thing going on. Hahaha

I had that, I used tow paperclips and some straws to fish it out.

Flickr Album!!

Old 01-06-2010, 04:02 AM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianiac View Post
Hey that looks really good.

I need to do that paint thing. I've got a couple spots (not as bad) that could use some attention. Where did you get the paint to do that?
I made it, my dad owns an autobody business and taught me how to work when I was in high school.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Great work!

Old 01-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_brouhaha View Post
I see you got, "paper blocking your vin number from putting some random sh!t on your dash" thing going on. Hahaha

I had that, I used tow paperclips and some straws to fish it out.
Nice I gotta do that on my 540 I want a yellow M3 badly!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1993 325i 4dr
Brad what are you talking about? What does the paper do?

Old 01-06-2010, 04:48 PM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT817 View Post
Brad what are you talking about? What does the paper do?
Gets in the way.

You throw a ticket for a parking garage up there, it falls down and its a biznitch to get out.
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This similar thread was opened today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > e39 540 what color are your valve covers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJS View Post
OK, going to do the ccv/spark plugs/valve cover gaskets soon and I'm not sure what color to paint the valve covers. Don't want to leave them the flaky gold they are now. I'm sure they looked nice when new but no longer. Also I can't find the original gold color in a heat resistant paint, and don't think non-heat resistant will do.

So, what color did you paint yours? Pics??

Thanks,
doc
See also:
- Painting ideas for the engine covers (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
and this ...
- How not to paint your engine covers (1)