Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-19-2016, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: Nissan Maxima, Jeep, TR6,
'97 328i convert. dr. side window ups/downs 1/4 inch when driving

I appears that the automatic window switch, the one that lowers and raises the window when opening and closing the door has malfunctioned..

while driving the window will raise and lower by the 1/4" or so sealing height. Light on head bar also comes on.

Do I look inside the door, a break in the wire from the chassis to the door, or a relay somewhere. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2016, 12:21 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Check the latch post on the door pillar for wear before you do anything else. There's a micro switch in the latch mechanism in the door and it depends on the latch post keep it fully depressed when the door is closed. When the latch post gets worn, the micro switch is only marginally depressed and it opens and closes constantly causing the window to go up and down while driving.
For some cars the fix has been as simple as turn the latch post 90 degrees so that unworn area is available to hold the micro switch depressed.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:44 PM

Thanks Man. I thought it might be something of that nature, just not certain where to look.

Will shortly and post back with results.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:22 PM

[IMG]www.snapfish.com/library/photos?website=snapfish_us&cobrand=snapfish&locale=en_US#state=%7B%22pgvw%22%3A%22siav%22%2C%2 2aid%22%3A122789189199060%7D[/IMG]

Found it like you said I would.
The plastic "Bushing?" on the pillar latch was worn as shown in the picture. It was just
enough to cycle the micro switch (red pointer).
Thank you.
That was getting really really annoying.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:57 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Glad it was the simple fix!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search