Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: e36 318i
Haha no. Didn't even shop around for them, I use pelican parts for a lot of the random stuff I buy. When I got my filter and plugs I threw these into the order too.

36-13-1-181-080-M9

$7.50 x 4

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...3-1-181-080-M9

Pure Joy

Last edited by skyguy; 02-05-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Just living MY dream

Mein Auto: 1995 M3 Boston Green
New heater blower install, oil change, and replace my hood emblem. Now I have to fix the short in my truck wire harness....again

Member #2 of the Boston Green Mafia BMW-CCA #457574

1995 BG M3 2000 TiAg 4.4l X5

-I do the things today that others won't do, so I will have the things tomorrow that other won't have....
Old 02-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Larry_N
Mein Auto: 2005 645CI convertable
Today I missed the delivery of my K&N CAI... Now I have to wait til Tuesday. Oh well makes for a great Wednesday afternoon project. Also ordered my Schnitzer strut bar.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
I replaced my rear shock mounts with the aluminum RSM kit from Rogue Engineering. They rock. They are so much more beefy than the OEM BMW parts. The Rogue RSMs also came with seriously stout shock tower reinforcement plates with the mounting hardware welded to them for a bottom-mount design - major bonus. No more removing the trunk panels to change shocks or bushings! Since this was my first time doing this job, it took me about 1.5 hours. Now that I'm familiar with everything, I could probably do the job in under 45 minutes. I was also relieved to discover that my shock towers have no signs of damage or abuse.

Photobucket
What I removed from my car today. Since my car has 95k miles on the clock, I'm guessing these are the original RSMs that were installed at the factory. This is further corroborated by the "98" stamped into the rubber (same number as the model year of my car). Gaskets? What gaskets?

Photobucket
This is what went back into my car. They are made of solid aluminum, and are MUCH stronger than the stamped steel OEM units, especially in conjunction with the ultra-thick shock tower reinforcement plates that came in the kit (not pictured). Comparing photos online, the Rogue Engineering RSMs look much thicker than even those made by Ground Control. I should not have to think about RSMs for a long time to come.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 02-07-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Just living MY dream

Quote:
This is what went back into my car. They are made of aluminum, and are MUCH stronger than the stamped steel OEM units, especially in conjunction with the ultra-thick shock tower reinforcement plates from Rogue Engineering (not pictured). Comparing photos online, the Rogue Engineering RSMs look much thicker than even those made by Ground Control. I should not have to think about RSMs for a long time to come.
OOO fancy how much do those run?

-I do the things today that others won't do, so I will have the things tomorrow that other won't have....
Old 02-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Warm Leatherette

The kit costs $100.00, but it includes literally everything you need for a complete installation. Here's what came in the kit:

* Two (2) Rogue Engineering 6061-T6 CNC, Anodized aluminum rear shock mounts
* Four (4) Shore A 60 Rubber Bushings (30% stiffer than OEM, but still good on the street)
* Two (2) 303 Stainless Steel Bushing Spacers
* Four (4) 303 Stainless Steel Washers
* Four (4) Yellow Zinc plated M8 serrated lock nuts
* Two (2) Shock Tower Reinforcement Assemblies (more than twice as thick as BMW OEM, with 10.9 hardware welded for bottom-mount)
* Two (2) factory gaskets

So yeah, they are a bit more pricey, but they are really strong and can also be rebuilt very cheaply if I ever need to replace the rubber bushings (OEM style cannot be rebuilt). Another reason why I went with these over the "repair shop" style RSMs is that these are strong enough for track duty, but compliant enough for the street. By the time I added up the cost of the "repair shop" RSMs, plus reinforcement plates, plus gaskets, plus hardware, the Rogue Engineering RSMs weren't that much more. They are also vastly superior in strength than the steel "repair shop" style RSMs, and have the bottom-mount design to boot. It was a no-brainer, as far as I'm concerned.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 02-10-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Just living MY dream

WOW those sound like a great deal. When mine die i'm a getting those

Old 02-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Good buy!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Warm Leatherette

Yeah, I was super impressed with their product when I opened the box and saw what was inside. I can't recommend this kit enough.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 AM
LSD = yum yum

Send a message via MSN to peels'bimmer
Mein Auto: '95 332IS
Put in a new t-stat and aluminum housing. Now I have heat again and won't freeze my balls off anymore But only have heat on speeds 3 & 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaV MaNN View Post
you never notice how ugly something is until you get rid of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
That's what my first wife said.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Warm Leatherette

Quote:
Originally Posted by peels'bimmer View Post
Put in a new t-stat and aluminum housing. Now I have heat again and won't freeze my balls off anymore But only have heat on speeds 3 & 4
I have some questions for you:

1) How long did it take you?

2) Did you have to open the coolant drain plug on the engine block? If so, how did that go?

3) Did you use RTV or silicone sealant on the housing gasket, or did you rely on the gasket alone to seal.

Due to a thermostat that's sticking open in cold weather, I'm going to be replacing my T-stat and housing in the next few weeks, too.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 02-10-2010, 09:23 AM
LSD = yum yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
I have some questions for you:

1) How long did it take you?

2) Did you have to open the coolant drain plug on the engine block? If so, how did that go?

3) Did you use RTV or silicone sealant on the housing gasket, or did you rely on the gasket alone to seal.

Due to a thermostat that's sticking open in cold weather, I'm going to be replacing my T-stat and housing in the next few weeks, too.

1) A little over an hour. ( didn't have the clutch fan tool, had to improvise)

2) Nope, didn't do that.

3) Sh!t, I didn't even think of that till you ask. As of now, I am relying on the gasket seal itself.

Now I have to re-do it this weekend. I will most likely use RTV this time.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Warm Leatherette

Based on the reading I've done, I don't think everyone uses RTV or silicone on the gasket. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that you only need it if you have pitting and/or surface imperfections where the gasket meets the head. Not sure though. It's probably better to use sealant for the sake of peace of mind.

How much coolant did you spill after draining the radiator? Does draining the radiator empty out most of the coolant up high, thereby allowing one to remove the thermostat without spilling?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 02-10-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 AM
LSD = yum yum

I didn't even drain the radiator. I just un-hook the two hoses from the housing, and let that drain out. What ever coolant was in the hoses and housing, is what I lost. If I had to guess, I would say I lost about half a bottle of coolant. But I am only saying that, because, I had to put that much back into it to get the air out of the system.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-10-2010, 11:01 AM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by peels'bimmer View Post
1) A little over an hour. ( didn't have the clutch fan tool, had to improvise)

2) Nope, didn't do that.

3) Sh!t, I didn't even think of that till you ask. As of now, I am relying on the gasket seal itself.

Now I have to re-do it this weekend. I will most likely use RTV this time.
Mine has been improvised on far too many times, I'm going to have to buy a new one with the tool soon, or switch to electric, I dunno how many more times I can get it off without chewing it too pieces.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Mine has been improvised on far too many times, I'm going to have to buy a new one with the tool soon, or switch to electric, I dunno how many more times I can get it off without chewing it too pieces.
I wouldn't, few and far between electric fans can do nearly as well as the stock one.

Unless you have a lot of $$$ you want to blow, stay mechanical, stay stock, stay cool.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
I wouldn't, few and far between electric fans can do nearly as well as the stock one.

Unless you have a lot of $$$ you want to blow, stay mechanical, stay stock, stay cool.
Sounds good.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Sounds good.
Yessir

The only thing I would/will change is an all aluminum radiator, all aluminum expansion tank, and a lower temp thermostat.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Larry_N
Mein Auto: 2005 645CI convertable
Today I installed my K&N CAI. had to a little modifications because it just didn't quite fit so well against the Depo hid's, but whe it was all done, took it for a throaty ride. Love it. This weekend I'll tackle the Brake light switch, the headlight switch, and hope that the later will fix the instrument panel lights, which all of a sudden decided to stop working.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:52 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_N View Post
Today I installed my K&N CAI. had to a little modifications because it just didn't quite fit so well against the Depo hid's
Yeah, the Depo's are freaking huge by comparison!

Quote:
This weekend I'll tackle the Brake light switch,
Easy.

Quote:
the headlight switch, and hope that the later will fix the instrument panel lights, which all of a sudden decided to stop working.
Yes, it should fix that. I had the same issue, worked fine, then didn't.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:57 PM
More than you can afford

Mein Auto: Elise<3
Today I discovered a new and foreign sound coming from my engine.

'98 328i/'09 Tahoe LTZ
@los_tho
Old 02-10-2010, 11:04 PM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
Today I discovered a new and foreign sound coming from my engine.

It happens, my cabin fan now has a click feature. Its so irritating. Sounds like a baseball card in a bicycle wheel.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:06 PM
OH YEAH!

Send a message via AIM to JASbimmer
Mein Auto: 95' hellrot ///m3
Just got my baby back... fresh new fluids, head gasket, and cylinders. Time to break her in... giving her a good wash in the morning

mods to come! CAI, M3 drum-drum rear end, Racelands, Strut tower brace, ecu chip, tranny chip, aluminum driveshaft, and possible sub-frame connectors! exterior mods will come last..

Last edited by JASbimmer; 02-10-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Warm Leatherette

I replaced my fog lights tonight. Not a big deal, I know, but progress is progress. After struggling with DDM for over a month, I canceled my order with them and got a pair on eBay instead. They were the same price as DDM ($30), but I didn't have to pay shipping with the eBay pair. Nice.

So they arrived in the mail today. I wasn't sure what to expect from them. All told, I'm basically satisfied with them, but I did have two issues with them:

1) One of the new fog lights would not detach from its mounting bracket, and I broke off the release clip in my living room. Not a big deal, since I just reused the existing OEM mounting bracket already on my car. Still, it should not have been so difficult to release. It simply wouldn't budge. The other [new] fog light released just fine.

2) The rear caps (where the wires are) did not lock into place. When I compared the rear caps of my original ZKWs to the new fogs, I saw a clearly identifiable design difference between the two, and realized that the caps on the knockoffs were simply not designed to lock securely into place. Again, this wasn't a big deal, since I just reused the OEM rear caps from my existing ZKWs. They locked into place on the new fogs perfectly. Another way around this issue with these knockoffs would be to use Teflon tape to get a better seal and prevent the rear caps from unscrewing themselves.

Otherwise, they look great now that they're installed. It's hard to believe you can get a pair of fog lights of any quality for only 30 clams.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 02-10-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: M3-Imola Red Interior
...I got a big ass splat of bird ****. ****ing birds.