Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 PM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
Might just be a worn bottom end... Doesn't seem drastic enough to be a blown HG to me.

Leakdown test would probably help to tell.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:51 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
next thing i'd try is a pressure test of the cooling system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

So, pretty much just doing man stuff.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 08-26-2012, 07:57 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Yeah, not drastic....but it's nearly 25% off from peak, and engine was cold. Disappointing given that I have a miss on cyls 2 & 3.

I guess I'll change the crank sensor and intake gaskets and boot and put it back together and see what I come up with. Still need to do the H2O pump and t-stat too. I think if it is a BHG I'm going to bypass the heater core, pull the tstat, and run some Blue Devil and try my luck with that. I have no desire or time to change the HG right now.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 08-26-2012, 07:58 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Dude. Your writing looks like that of a 4 year old on bath salts.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
that good, eh??

anyway...somewhere along the way home my exhaust broke off. apparently when one welds only 1 support on the muffler, combined with a (previously unknown) broken trans mount and a few rough back roads, things can get a bit, uh...broken....

so somewhere in cow country there is a muffler along the side of a road...

so now i need to fix the mounts and re-do the exhaust. this time, though, i will get some bends in the pipe to hang the muffler a little bit higher. it looked too low and ricer for me.

and i'll use more than 1 support....honest....

df
Old 08-26-2012, 08:09 PM

I hit a legit HOLE in the highway in NY and it had to have bent the LF wheel a little and whacked the tie rod out because i got a slight speed dependent vibration and a slight pull now stupid NYDOT

Quote:
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

• '06 325xi 6MT
Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 PM
some kid

df.... You didn't hear it come off?? Or the sounds of an open header engine afterwards?? Were you blasting your Justin Bieber too loudly?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 PM

shhh...you said that you wouldn't tell anyone else about that cd!!!

it did get a little bit louder, but after about 45 mins @ 3000rpm things sorta get a little mixed.

i heard a slight 'ting.....ting......tingating....' for a few minutes once i got over the delaware memorial bridge, then it went away....

i think it was around cowtown, actually. that's where i noticed the raspyness of the exhaust note, but didn't get out unti li got past the circle on rt 40. wasn't going to go back for it when i saw it fell off. it didn't look like it took out anything on the undercarriage, and i was going to rehang it anyway (since i didn't like how low the muffler was), so it's simply back to the drawing board.

i haz passed inspection, so no worriez right now...

df
Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 PM
some kid

I think you need to get your hearing checked... My car is so loud without a muffler. No way you could miss it.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 PM

^what?? :cups hand to ear:

i did hear it, i just thought it had cracked maybe. at [redacted] mph the exhaust note was pretty hearty. after almost an hour at that speed (slowing for toll booths, of course...) the drone just sorta became backround noise.

that, and the radio was blasting bieber on '11'....

df

Last edited by drivinfaster; 08-26-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 PM

my favorite part of the cruise was being in a line of M's and assorted BMWs next to the left side barriers with my foot clamped down on the throttle, windows down, radio off. the sound of 5+ modded BMW 6's with exhausts is heavenly.

Quote:

• '06 325xi 6MT
Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
went under a tunnel on 95 and wailed it

that sounddd

-Dino
Old 08-26-2012, 08:52 PM
some kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
my favorite part of the cruise was being in a line of M's and assorted BMWs next to the left side barriers with my foot clamped down on the throttle, windows down, radio off. the sound of 5+ modded BMW 6's with exhausts is heavenly.
Troof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
went under a tunnel on 95 and wailed it

that sounddd
Did this in every tunnel

Old 08-26-2012, 09:57 PM

Fair to say it was Bimmer abuse weekend

abuse that these cars endorse

-Dino
Old 08-26-2012, 11:03 PM
nothing.

Mein Auto: who knows?
even if my exhaust dropped it wouldnt have enough clearance to leave the bottom of the car

I need to heat wrap the pipe and put some insulation down there though. my car was like 120 degrees the whole way. floors were hot as hell

thats what you get when you remove the exhaust insulation i guess right?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:14 PM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post

Shuddup douche. I was writing on a paper towel with a friggin sharpie taped to a vertical surface only on the top. Be glad it's even remotely legible.

My normal handwriting on a flat surface with pen and paper looks like a 6 year olds, thankyouverymuch.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 08-27-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
Fair to say it was Bimmer abuse weekend

abuse that these cars endorse
oooh yeah, i left my fair share of squiggly marks on the pavement this weekend poor tool booth attendants probably have hearing loss...

Quote:

• '06 325xi 6MT
Old 08-27-2012, 06:49 AM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
This thread is awesome.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
oooh yeah, i left my fair share of squiggly marks on the pavement this weekend poor tool booth attendants probably have hearing loss...
when I left home I had 3 green bars. By the time we got to the hotels . The Si said its due for an oil change lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App

-Dino
Old 08-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Installed X-Brace:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3B2M8WI View Post
let us know how it feels.
So far I'm enjoying it. I haven't driven the car as much as I'd like to get a comprehensive sense of things, but on the few trips I've taken after installation, I'd say it's a worthwhile investment. It will probably take me a month or so to travel a super wide range of road surfaces to get a full impression. Thus far, I wouldn't say that it's night & day revelatory, but my car does feel a good amount more solid and composed, and that is exactly what I wanted. E36s are not the most rigid chassis out there, so every bit of reinforcement/bracing helps. You can certainly feel the improvement with it installed, and my car did seem to track straighter over a particularly uneven/rutted section of road near my house. As mentioned earlier, it also makes the car feel more solid, like a more substantial vehicle. Expansion joints & cracks in pavement seem to produce less noise inside the cabin, and it seems to make the car feel like it's screwed together better.

Given how little it cost, how easy it was to install, the benefits of stiffening up the chassis, and protecting the oil pan, it's a no-brainer to me. I'd definitely recommend it. If anyone wants pointers on how best to install one, I can walk you through it. I installed mine using hardware I that bought from a local hardware store, not from BMW, and the way I did it is not only easier to install, but provides superior anchor points without the need of buying or borrowing expensive tools.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 08-27-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Lowlife

Mein Auto: Bagged E36 328I
Got some lip.

***Bagged E36 ***
FACEBOOK
flickr
Old 08-27-2012, 02:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Yeah, not drastic....but it's nearly 25% off from peak, and engine was cold. Disappointing given that I have a miss on cyls 2 & 3.

I guess I'll change the crank sensor and intake gaskets and boot and put it back together and see what I come up with. Still need to do the H2O pump and t-stat too. I think if it is a BHG I'm going to bypass the heater core, pull the tstat, and run some Blue Devil and try my luck with that. I have no desire or time to change the HG right now.
Redo the compression test, but pull the fuel pump relay, start the engine and let it run till it shuts down. None of those readings are bad, in fact 155 psi is the correct nominal value (14.7psi atmospheric x 10.5:1 compression ratio =154.3psi). When you have the fuel injection still pumping fuel that doesn't get burned it collects in the cylinders and increases the compression ratio. I'd expect you to see the delta between the values nominalize and be in the 165-175 psi range due to accumulated carbon build up.

The low compression reading on 2 & 3 ( and somewhat on 4) might be indicative of an injector issue that's causing your miss.

Last edited by dc_wright; 08-27-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:11 PM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Redo the compression test, but pull the fuel pump relay, start the engine and let it run till it shuts down. None of those readings are bad, in fact 155 psi is the correct nominal value (14.7psi atmospheric x 10.5:1 compression ratio =154.3psi). When you have the fuel injection still pumping fuel that doesn't get burned it collects in the cylinders and increases the compression ratio. I'd expect you to see the delta between the values nominalize and be in the 165-175 psi range due to accumulated carbon build up.

The low compression reading on 2 & 3 ( and somewhat on 4) might be indicative of an injector issue that's causing your miss.
I did pull both the fuel pump and DME relays, and cranked it several times with WOT to try to clear out any remaining.

When pulling the fuel rail while removing the mani I released the valve on the end and got no pressure or fuel so I think I got it all cleared out prior to the test.

When I pulled the breather tube from the valve cover there was some pretty milky looking oil there so I think it is leaking into the oil. Preponderance of evidence. I really do think I'll try blue devil and see what happens..... Will redo compression test with it warmed up after all put together and then after treatment and see what happens.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana

Last edited by E36 Phantom; 08-27-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Will redo compression test with it warmed up after all put together and then after treatment and see what happens.
And how many times have I seen you berate even a thought of using any type of "sealer in a can" in a BMW? Shame!

The idol has feet of clay.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 08-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
So far I'm enjoying it. I haven't driven the car as much as I'd like to get a comprehensive sense of things, but on the few trips I've taken after installation, I'd say it's a worthwhile investment. It will probably take me a month or so to travel a super wide range of road surfaces to get a full impression. Thus far, I wouldn't say that it's night & day revelatory, but my car does feel a good amount more solid and composed, and that is exactly what I wanted. E36s are not the most rigid chassis out there, so every bit of reinforcement/bracing helps. You can certainly feel the improvement with it installed, and my car did seem to track straighter over a particularly uneven/rutted section of road near my house. As mentioned earlier, it also makes the car feel more solid, like a more substantial vehicle. Expansion joints & cracks in pavement seem to produce less noise inside the cabin, and it seems to make the car feel like it's screwed together better.

Given how little it cost, how easy it was to install, the benefits of stiffening up the chassis, and protecting the oil pan, it's a no-brainer to me. I'd definitely recommend it. If anyone wants pointers on how best to install one, I can walk you through it. I installed mine using hardware I that bought from a local hardware store, not from BMW, and the way I did it is not only easier to install, but provides superior anchor points without the need of buying or borrowing expensive tools.
Sweet Karl, when you have a chance, let me know what hardware to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW36 View Post
Got some lip.

Are those wider? I like, and where can you purchased wider lips?