Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Won't help. The package is already somewhere between CA and AL in a FedEx vehicle. I'll just have to wait....which I don't do well.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Santa

Mein Auto: 95 M3 --- 98 Camry D/D
sadfaceddddd that stinks mister shark

1998 Camry- DD Duty
1995 M3 Avus- Money Pit
1998 323IS- Sold/Satan Car
1993 318IS-Totaled
1995 325i-Lux- Sold
Why you don't buy Meyle suspension stuff -http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ostcount=86094
Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 AM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Here's my "winter proofing" list so far. I'll probably tackle it all weekend after next when the parts get here from the Vaterland.

-Replace Heater Hoses/Main Coolant line
-Install Oil Catch can
-Replace booster vacuum hose
-Seafoam to purge all the oil that was getting into the intake
-Replace MTL fluid in trans to D4 ATF
-Change oil
-Replace lower steering U-joint
-Replace alternator bearing
-Adjust shocks to "soft"
-Screw down parcel shelf so it stops squeaking at me

Sigh.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Here's my "winter proofing" list so far. I'll probably tackle it all weekend after next when the parts get here from the Vaterland.

-Replace Heater Hoses/Main Coolant line
-Install Oil Catch can
-Replace booster vacuum hose
-Seafoam to purge all the oil that was getting into the intake
-Replace MTL fluid in trans to D4 ATF
-Change oil
-Replace alternator bearing
-Adjust shocks to "soft"
-Screw down parcel shelf so it stops squeaking at me

Sigh.
seafoam = questionable esp on our high mileage babies but then again sucking a little through the brake booster cant be that bad :O

1998 Camry- DD Duty
1995 M3 Avus- Money Pit
1993 318IS-Totaled
1995 325i-Lux- Sold
Why you don't buy Meyle suspension stuff -http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ostcount=86094
Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Have fun with that. Hint: thick flat-blade screwdriver with the tip ground back to use as a wedge in the knuckle slots. I have one in my toolbox just for that job.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 10-17-2012, 10:54 AM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer claus View Post
seafoam = questionable esp on our high mileage babies but then again sucking a little through the brake booster cant be that bad :O
There's really nothing bad seafoam can do for a high mileage engine...

I hate to be the one to say it, but you seem to talk out of your ass a lot... You'll probably fit in well with the bimmerforums crowd.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post

I hate to be the one to say it, but you seem to talk out of your ass a lot... You'll probably fit in well with the bimmerforums crowd.

-Dino
Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Won't help. The package is already somewhere between CA and AL in a FedEx vehicle. I'll just have to wait....which I don't do well.
I've had to contact the shipper before and pick up packages at the depot, opposed to letting them get sent out on the final truck. Can save you quite a few hours if you get it yourself.

Quote:
Seafoam is an extremely good product. It is one of those highly recommended in the motorcycle world for winterizing your gas/tank. Especially for older bikes. Fuel injected, carbeurated, and all.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 AM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Have fun with that. Hint: thick flat-blade screwdriver with the tip ground back to use as a wedge in the knuckle slots. I have one in my toolbox just for that job.
Thanks, I have a big flathead I can modify if needed. Its a lower priority thing, but I'd like to tackle it if I can. I already have the part, and I'm sick of my car wandering around on the highway despite the fact that every bushing on my front end looks like it was just born.

Quote:
Justification? Source? Seafoam is basically pure petroleum, all its going to do is break down some sludge and get rid of unwanted moisture. I've only done it through the vacuum lines before, I think this time I'm going to run it in the oil for a bit before I change it, and run it through the fuel system as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post

+1. People come to this forum to learn about their car. You don't need to be a master mechanic to post here, but at least have a source or personal experience to back it up when you tell someone a product is bad.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 AM

I think he was confused at the fact that if sludge was keeping something tight and cleaning that sludge will cause things to leak or something like that ( at least I read that here at some point)

-Dino
Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 AM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
I think he was confused at the fact that if sludge was keeping something tight and cleaning that sludge will cause things to leak or something like that ( at least I read that here at some point)
I've heard that concept too but I don't think I really subscribe to it. I might be concerned another brand of "treatment" with more chemicals in it, running the risk of drying up gaskets and seals and causing leaks.

But if sludge is the only thing keeping my motor watertight I think I'd probably be having some other issues, and since seafoam is just petroleum, its no more corrosive to seals and gaskets than oil or fuel is.

I've had good results with it in the past, I'm not concerned about using it again.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Beamer Claus has been fine here.

At any rate, the way I look at it is this: Sea Foam won't perform miracles, but I've heard only good things about it and nothing bad. Most people seem to report that it's helpful, and those that don't simply say that it didn't make their improperly running car start running properly. I've used it in my fuel tank, and I'd love to pull some in through my vacuum line, but I'd probably get arrested for all the smoke produced by cleaning the carbon deposits out.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 10-17-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 PM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Beamer Claus has been fine here.

At any rate, the way I look at it is this: Sea Foam won't perform miracles, but I've heard only good things about it and nothing bad. Most people seem to report that it's helpful, and those that don't simply say that it didn't make their improperly running car start running properly. I've used it in my fuel tank, and I'd love to pull some in through my vacuum line, but I'd probably get arrested for all the smoke produced by cleaning the carbon deposits out.
I think that's a fair assessment. The most surprising thing I've ever seen it do was when we thought Jake's miata had a seized piston ring. (It was the PCV valve). He ran a treatment through the vacuum lines, drove it for ten minutes and I'll be damned if it didn't clean out all the oil residue and make it temporarily stop smoking. It came back because the PCV was still pouring oil back into the intake, but the product definitely does what it says it does.

The smoke it produces is pretty insane. I was passing a dealership the other day and saw a Corvette that was obviously getting a seafoam treatment because it was whiting out the entire lot of the dealership as the dude puttered along the little service road in front of it.

If you wanted to do your car I'd say just do it at home when the motor is already warm, and immediately hop in and drive it along some less traveled routes until it clears up, maybe 10 minutes.

If you're really concerned, drive out to the middle of nowhere with a friend, do the treatment on the side of the road, and then drive the hell out of it.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
Same idea as chemical flushing your tranny bad things can happen just saying sorry if im the worst case scenario person here ladies
i believe that seafoam even says not reccomended for higher mileage cars read that more then once and maybe watched too many YT vids of mustangs dying after i think the valves can get screwed up my gramps had a bad story about a 442 that he seafoamed and it messed the thing up pretty bad its supposed to liquify gunk but when you get enough i mean once that craps free its going to circulate a little before its burnt off...Once again worst case scenario guys sorry. im sure youll be fine i seafoamed my 318 didnt do much to be honest just smoked like a mofo i mean insanity haha pull didnt feel better or anything but hey still ran great after

1998 Camry- DD Duty
1995 M3 Avus- Money Pit
1993 318IS-Totaled
1995 325i-Lux- Sold

Last edited by bimmer claus; 10-18-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:58 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
I've seen cases where sea foam just went in and out and did nothing, and I've even seen cases where sea foam polished clean pistons with 6 years of carbon. So I'm neither here nor there about it, if anything it's worth trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

So, pretty much just doing man stuff.
  • '06 325xi 6MT

Last edited by Kdoherty; 10-18-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Same idea as chemical flushing your tranny bad things can happen just saying sorry if im the worst case scenario person here ladies
yeah i see your point,

and plus the auto trannies are just sissys

but it does make sense that seafoam is petro and that its no worse than whats in motor oil and other oil based stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
I've seen cases where sea foam just when in and out and did nothing, and I've even seen cases where sea foam polished clean pistons with 6 years of carbon. So I'm neither here nor there about it, if anything it's worth trying.
I used in my intake like 3 times it never smoked 2 out 3 times

then the one time it did smoke it was at start up for like 2 seconds then ive never seen smoke from my car ever

so i guess its clean in there

-Dino
Old 10-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Santa

Oh i remember now! 02 sensors and cats when all that gunk is released it can destroy your cats and 02's regardless of what they say i doubt its all liquified and even if it is look at the crap coming out the tail pipes
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1791976
Instead of arguing for 15 minutes sorry you dont like me CJ

1998 Camry- DD Duty
1995 M3 Avus- Money Pit
1993 318IS-Totaled
1995 325i-Lux- Sold

Last edited by bimmer claus; 10-18-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
I've seen cases where sea foam just went in and out and did nothing, and I've even seen cases where sea foam polished clean pistons with 6 years of carbon. So I'm neither here nor there about it, if anything it's worth trying.
This, no smoking in my S10.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App

Old 10-18-2012, 01:15 PM
some kid

Quote:
Oh i remember now! 02 sensors and cats when all that gunk is released it can destroy your cats and 02's regardless of what they say i doubt its all liquified and even if it is look at the crap coming out the tail pipes
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1791976
Instead of arguing for 15 minutes sorry you dont like me CJ
Well, I never said I didn't like you. Just wanted to remind you to think before you make claims about something.

Apparently you didn't take my advice at all, because now you're saying that Seafoam can destroy your cats and O2s. Where is actual information on this happening?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
I think the 'Fest needs a right about now.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
Today on my... 78' Ariens Sno-Thro I installed and adjusted a new carburetor, and throttle linkage. Runs like a champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

So, pretty much just doing man stuff.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 10-18-2012, 02:45 PM
nothing.

Mein Auto: who knows?
i cant wait for mitch to photoshop those pics cj.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:03 PM
some kid

Me too. They're gonna be sweet.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 PM
nothing.

Mein Auto: who knows?
Hell yeah. He hasn't texted me yet though. Wonder how things are looking

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Old 10-18-2012, 09:47 PM
some kid