Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLudwig View Post
CA, given your background and experience, I very much respect your opinions, and I'm glad you shared it here. I too suspect that this will be my last BMW, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about 'em.

You make a good point, and I hinted at it above. To most people, it's just another 3 series and there's nothing exotic looking about it. Still, my response would be that to those of us enthusiasts here on the forums and in real life (and most importantly, to me), the difference in appearance between the M3 and the 335 is fairly dramatic. And others (like my wife, for example) may not really differentiate much between the various iterations of the 3 series, but when she does point out what she thinks is a good looking 3er, almost every time it's an M3. She probably couldn't tell you what the specific cosmetic differences are, she just knows it looks more aggressive and purposeful.

I was actually expecting you to mention that if you really want to get into tracking, the M3 really isn't the best choice either (and you'd be right), but for a more casual track enthusiast with limited garage space like me, it makes a great choice.
I agree with everything you said. Don't get me wrong, I think the M3 is a great car and I particularly like the looks of yours. It is probably as good a combination of a road car and a steet car as is available for anything close to its price. I would never try to talk someone out of getting an M3 over a 335i, that is a very personal decision.

I purchased my 335 before the M3 was availble. If it had been I may have purchased one but at this point I see little point in getting rid of the 335i for an M3. For one thing I really like having a convertible and the M3 convertible is not really trackable so I would definitely paying for performance I would never use. I drive my 335i very conservatively and am never close to the limits of the car.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-17-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Stuck in Monday

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I agree with everything you said. Don't get me wrong, I think the M3 is a great car and I particularly like the looks of yours. It is probably as good a combination of a road car and a steet car as is available for anything close to its price. I would never try to talk someone out of getting an M3 over a 335i, that is a very personal decision.

I purchased my 335 before the M3 was availble. If it had been I may have purchased one but at this point I see little point in getting rid of the 335i for an M3. For one thing I really like having a convertible and the M3 convertible is not really trackable so I would definitely paying for performance I would never use. I drive my 335i very conservatively and am never close to the limits of the car.

CA
I actually toyed with the idea of getting a 'vert before deciding on my car. Had I gone that route, I most likely would have gone with the 335 for the same reasons you did.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 AM
40 Oz. to Freedom

Mein Auto: 13 M3 - 07 X3 - 01 325xiT
As captainaudio pointed out, if you are concerned about people thinking you are in a "regular" 3-series, maybe an M3 is not "look at me" enough for you. It can easily be mistaken for a run of the mill 3 to the non-enthusiast. However, you won't be disappointed in the way the car drives. I, for one, prefer to be noticed a little, if not a lot, less. That's one of the reasons I like the M3; goes back to that whole wolf in sheep's clothing thing. If you care about what people think about you based on what they "think" you drive...get something flashier or more recognizable like a Porsche.

Oh, BTW, nice looking M TLudwig!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Stuck in Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio View Post
As captainaudio pointed out, if you are concerned about people thinking you are in a "regular" 3-series, maybe an M3 is not "look at me" enough for you. It can easily be mistaken for a run of the mill 3 to the non-enthusiast. However, you won't be disappointed in the way the car drives. I, for one, prefer to be noticed a little, if not a lot, less. That's one of the reasons I like the M3; goes back to that whole wolf in sheep's clothing thing. If you care about what people think about you based on what they "think" you drive...get something flashier or more recognizable like a Porsche.

Oh, BTW, nice looking M TLudwig!
Thanks, and good advice!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm honestly leaning towards the ///M3. Lets see what the refresh brings. Also, visual appearance isn't a big deal for me.

P.S. CA, Get an ///M5/M6 as your next car. That's upscale! MB is bringing a C63 ///AMG coupe over with a 5.5L Twin Turbo. I'm also going to give that a look over before I make my final decision. I hope the plasticy cheap interior feel is gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm honestly leaning towards the ///M3. Lets see what the refresh brings. Also, visual appearance isn't a big deal for me.

P.S. CA, Get an ///M5/M6 as your next car. That's upscale! MB is bringing a C63 ///AMG coupe over with a 5.5L Twin Turbo. I'm also going to give that a look over before I make my final decision. I hope the plasticy cheap interior feel is gone.
Sorry, I have no interest in the M5 or M6.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 01-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
You just can't argue with the V8 engine that is in the M3. It is a solid engine and the thought of owning a V8 M3 is so sexy.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Special Agent

Mein Auto: Depends on the day!
the 335is is not going to have the same output as the Z4is

322hp/332 lb-ft (369 lb-ft in overboost).

so there will be a significant difference with the ///M3- also note that the ///M of the 1 (2012 MY) will slate in between the two at 350 hp.

-M
2006 325i ED 8/29/05: Retired

Old 01-19-2010, 06:28 PM

Mr. Ice, may I be so bold as to call you "Hot".

After mulling this (and drinking a few shots of Tequila) over I have some advice.

Buy a 335i. Use the money you saved to go to a good driving school (I am partial to Skip Barber).

Your perspective will be changed forever.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 01-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Quote:

After mulling this (and drinking a few shots of Tequila) over I have some advice.

Buy a 335i. Use the money you saved to go to a good driving school (I am partial to Skip Barber).

CA
+1... but may I add also that if you do this then make the effort NOT to drive an M3 afterward for fear you may actually get incredibly depressed...

Seriously... the 335iS is certainly all the car that 99.999% of the population will ever need on American highways and byways... more, in fact than you can legally (safely?) use under the vast majority of circumstances.

But I have to say... when I drove a 335i and an M3 back to back my eyes were seriously opened; I mean, it was just a totally different experience. Now, whether that experience is for you or not is something only you can decide. Myself, I have looked at the monthly payment and the cost of insurance and decided that I might be better off with a 335i(S) for now. Though I am also thinking of holding off my car purchase until later this year or early next, so I might still buy an M3 when finances improve...
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 01-19-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
+1... but may I add also that if you do this then make the effort NOT to drive an M3 afterward for fear you may actually get incredibly depressed...

Seriously... the 335iS is certainly all the car that 99.999% of the population will ever need on American highways and byways... more, in fact than you can legally (safely?) use under the vast majority of circumstances.

But I have to say... when I drove a 335i and an M3 back to back my eyes were seriously opened; I mean, it was just a totally different experience. Now, whether that experience is for you or not is something only you can decide. Myself, I have looked at the monthly payment and the cost of insurance and decided that I might be better off with a 335i(S) for now. Though I am also thinking of holding off my car purchase until later this year or early next, so I might still buy an M3 when finances improve...
I drove a 335i and an M3 back to back and I still have not particular interest in an M3. There is no doubt in my mind that the M3 outperforms the 335i but as I have said when you get to drive real race cars on a real race track you really get playing race car driver on the street out of your system.

If I did not have regular access to a track available to me i might think differently but at this point I have no particular desire to own an M3, although I do not deny that it is a great car. Do a few laps in a 1300 pound open wheel race car and you may feel the same way.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 01-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
...when you get to drive real race cars on a real race track you really get playing race car driver on the street out of your system...
Heck, even driving club race cars on a race track gets it out of your system. Then, when you actually get to *race* those cars, instead of just *driving* them on a race track, you slow down even more on the street from your former pace.

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Sorry, I have no interest in the M5 or M6.

CA
Going upscale? Massarati Gran Turismo S!!!!! DO IT!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post

so there will be a significant difference with the ///M3- also note that the ///M of the 1 (2012 MY) will slate in between the two at 350 hp.

-M
Nicely slated in there, but isn't that M1 underrated?

Quote:

CA
:lol: Well Yes Mr. Audio but One word: HPFP.

I honestly don't want to deal with the HPFP. The car will be used for daily driving and NEVER tracked. The ///M3 has just always been a dream of mine to own. It gets a lot of praises. My sisters 650i handles very nicely. I'm expecting more from an ///M3. Again, The ///M3 has always been a dream of mine to own, now that I have the opportunity, I don't know why I'm not taking it and running with it. I shouldn't be second guessing myself....I'm going crazy. The C63 ///AMG coupe coming out doesn't make my choice any easier.
Quote:

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 01-19-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Going upscale? Massarati Gran Turismo S!!!!! DO IT!!!!

Nicely slated in there, but isn't that M1 underrated?

:lol: Well Yes Mr. Audio but One word: HPFP.

I honestly don't want to deal with the HPFP. The car will be used for daily driving and NEVER tracked. The ///M3 has just always been a dream of mine to own. It gets a lot of praises. My sisters 650i handles very nicely. I'm expecting more from an ///M3. Again, The ///M3 has always been a dream of mine to own, now that I have the opportunity, I don't know why I'm not taking it and running with it. I shouldn't be second guessing myself....I'm going crazy. The C63 ///AMG coupe coming out doesn't make my choice any easier.
When I bought the 335i the model had just come out and the HPFP was not (yet) an issue. So far the car has been reliable but as I have stated before this was my first and my last BMW. I bought the BMW because it was relatively inexpensive but I will not make the same mistake again. The way that BMW has handled the HPFP issue should be enough to deter anyone from buying a BMW. The best indication of future performance is past performance and it is obvious to me that if the M3 or the 335Is or any other model BMW model develops a problem as serious as the HPFP BMW is going to handle it the same way (i.e. hide their corporate head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist). That in itself is enough to convince me to never buy another BMW and along with the RFTs, the Pothole Explosions issue and the cheap looking interior I will definitely be looking elsewhere for my next car. In many ways I am not sorry I bought the BMW but it is time to move on,

In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:

"Been there, done that"

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-19-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
Quote:

-M
Can you clarify..I thought they were going to be the same? Are the numbers above for the Z4is? What will the 335is have?
Old 01-20-2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:

The ///M3 has always been a dream of mine to own, now that I have the opportunity, I don't know why I'm not taking it and running with it.
Then if you are in a position to get one you should. I can't imagine that it is a decision you will regret.

You only go around once.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-20-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 z3 coupe
Quote:
then if you are in a position to get one you should. I can't imagine that it is a decision you will regret.

you only go around once.

ca
+1
Old 01-20-2010, 05:16 AM
Officially Contaminated

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 335i
Quote:
P.S. CA, Get an ///M5/M6 as your next car. That's upscale! MB is bringing a C63 ///AMG coupe over with a 5.5L Twin Turbo.

Off topic a bit, but from CA's neck of the woods anything under a Continental GT is not upscale and doesn't even phase people. The UES is a very unique neighborhood .
Old 01-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Special Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
Can you clarify..I thought they were going to be the same? Are the numbers above for the Z4is? What will the 335is have?
The Z4 has more HP, both have the same overboost torque numbers. Neither come with a 6 speed manual. DCT an option on the 3, sport auto standard. Official announcement 1/22 but images have leaked...

M3 will get a competition package for 2011

-M

Last edited by mapezzul; 01-20-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: e90 330i
It's pretty apparent you are a motorsports enthusiast HotIce. I will tell you a quick story about something that happened to me with motorcycles. I bought my first street bike when I was 18. It was $1,000 and was a blast to ride. Six years and a half-dozen bikes later, I bought my first new "sport-bike." I found myself doing lots of street riding that, looking back, was definitely not safe.

Then one day I did a track day. My eyes were opened wider than you could ever imagine. The closeness you have to a machine when you don't have to worry about gravel on the road, pedestrians/deer wandering out in front of you, and cops around the next corner is UNBELIEVABLE. Then, I started racing. It takes that high to a whole new level.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you aren't concerned about the "image" factor of a new M3, maybe you should consider picking up an e46 or prior M3 as strictly a track vehicle (like ffej). Keep your current ride for your sporty daily driver. After I started racing, I had no desire to ride fast on the street.

Something to think about. Be careful though, track is addicting.

2005 Xterra: SE | 4x4 | Toy hauler/winter ride

2007 600rr: Race whore

2005 SV650: Race whore #2
Old 01-20-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindGoldfish View Post
It's pretty apparent you are a motorsports enthusiast HotIce. I will tell you a quick story about something that happened to me with motorcycles. I bought my first street bike when I was 18. It was $1,000 and was a blast to ride. Six years and a half-dozen bikes later, I bought my first new "sport-bike." I found myself doing lots of street riding that, looking back, was definitely not safe.

Then one day I did a track day. My eyes were opened wider than you could ever imagine. The closeness you have to a machine when you don't have to worry about gravel on the road, pedestrians/deer wandering out in front of you, and cops around the next corner is UNBELIEVABLE. Then, I started racing. It takes that high to a whole new level.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you aren't concerned about the "image" factor of a new M3, maybe you should consider picking up an e46 or prior M3 as strictly a track vehicle (like ffej). Keep your current ride for your sporty daily driver. After I started racing, I had no desire to ride fast on the street.

And expensive.

I agree that once you get into tracking/racing you tend to lose your desire to drive fast on the street.

But I think HotIce should get an M3 and then drive it to New York and take me for a ride.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 01-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Special Agent

The "is" should be considered more along the line of a factory BMW Performance car. It will have the same body kit and wheels with some other bits that have not been confirmed yet (exhaust).

Old 01-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Stuck in Monday

Quote:
M3 will get a competition package for 2011

-M
Any word on what this package will include?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLudwig View Post
Any word on what this package will include?

Not yet. From what I know, the announcement for it should be somewhat soon. Keyword is "somewhat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindGoldfish View Post

I do fully enjoy motorsports! and I love the e92 ///M3. I went back into the dealership today and my god just sitting behind it makes me want it. I think I'd track the car, even though I've gone gone tracking just to see what it's like and how the sucker handles.

Quote:
And expensive.

I agree that once you get into tracking/racing you tend to lose your desire to drive fast on the street.

But I think HotIce should get an M3 and then drive it to New York and take me for a ride.
If I buy it, I'd definitely come up there and see this unique neighborhood!

Quote:
When I bought the 335i the model had just come out and the HPFP was not (yet) an issue. So far the car has been reliable but as I have stated before this was my first and my last BMW. I bought the BMW because it was relatively inexpensive but I will not make the same mistake again. The way that BMW has handled the HPFP issue should be enough to deter anyone from buying a BMW. The best indication of future performance is past performance and it is obvious to me that if the M3 or the 335Is or any other model BMW model develops a problem as serious as the HPFP BMW is going to handle it the same way (i.e. hide their corporate head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist). That in itself is enough to convince me to never buy another BMW and along with the RFTs, the Pothole Explosions issue and the cheap looking interior I will definitely be looking elsewhere for my next car. In many ways I am not sorry I bought the BMW but it is time to move on,

In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:

"Been there, done that"

CA
Thanks CA! So when are you planning your next car purchase? If you like convertible's, Massarti just gave out pricing on their Gran Turismo S...137,000.

I love that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Submarine View Post
Off topic a bit, but from CA's neck of the woods anything under a Continental GT is not upscale and doesn't even phase people. The UES is a very unique neighborhood .
Now, I'm intrigued.
Quote:

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 01-20-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:

If I buy it, I'd definitely come up there and see this unique neighborhood!

I got a real good deal on my place but it was a "fixer upper"

I think it came out pretty good.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-20-2010 at 03:29 PM.