Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 01-20-2010, 05:16 PM
E92Submarine's Avatar
E92Submarine E92Submarine is offline
Officially Contaminated
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,052
Mein Auto: 2009 E92 335i
Quote:
Now, I'm intrigued.
If I had a dime for every non-//M BMW, every MB, and every Range Rover sport I saw between E59th and E110th over the 1 year I was there, well....

At least for me, it takes an idiot in a F430 doing 70mph down Park Ave, blowing every red light in sight, to get my attention.


Edit. That did happen, once.....must have been a rental
__________________
2009 E92 335i | 6MT | Black Sapphire | Black Dakota | Aluminum Trim | Premium | Sport | Heated Seats | PDC | iDrive | HD Radio | M-Sport Shift Knob |
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-20-2010, 05:31 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,907
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Submarine View Post
If I had a dime for every non-//M BMW, every MB, and every Range Rover sport I saw between E59th and E110th over the 1 year I was there, well....

At least for me, it takes an idiot in a F430 doing 70mph down Park Ave, blowing every red light in sight, to get my attention.


Edit. That did happen, once.....must have been a rental


That wasn't a rental. I was on a test drive.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-20-2010, 06:15 PM
calys003 calys003 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oak Park, IL
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 201
Mein Auto: 2001 z3 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Submarine View Post
If I had a dime for every non-//M BMW, every MB, and every Range Rover sport I saw between E59th and E110th over the 1 year I was there, well....

At least for me, it takes an idiot in a F430 doing 70mph down Park Ave, blowing every red light in sight, to get my attention.


Edit. That did happen, once.....must have been a rental
that guy stole the car and didn't give a s**t.
__________________
10w7
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-22-2010, 03:37 AM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
I like the rumors of the RS4 as well. Hmm.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-23-2010, 05:58 AM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Time to go test drive a 335iS and then an ///M3 and see how my pants feel.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-25-2010, 03:31 PM
chenx15 chenx15 is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: Honda Accord 08
M3 hands down. the only reason i got the 335i is because of the xdrive because i'm a wuss on winter. but anything other than that the M3 is worth the extra cash and gas.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Sky Keeper Sky Keeper is offline
Skxawng
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 457
Mein Auto: 335i E90 MT
How much of a difference M button makes over just an EDC option? As I understand you get 3 different suspension settings anyway.

Also, where can I get more info about 2011 competition package... forum search is not very helpfull.

Last edited by Sky Keeper; 01-25-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-26-2010, 08:48 AM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Keeper View Post
How much of a difference M button makes over just an EDC option? As I understand you get 3 different suspension settings anyway.

Also, where can I get more info about 2011 competition package... forum search is not very helpfull.
Info about the comp package hasn't been released yet.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Dice Dice is offline
Registered User
Location: NEW JERSEY
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 72
Mein Auto: VOLVO
I sure wish my 135 i had a bigger engine I love that car. The M 3 is what I am dreaming of but think it might be out of reach.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-28-2010, 02:02 PM
outie outie is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 335
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Info about the comp package hasn't been released yet.
Quote:
The M3 Coupe, Sedan, and Convertible models become 2011 models this spring . BMW ups the ante on the M3 Coupe and Sedan by offering a new “Competition Package” for MY2011. The package further enhances the highly responsive chassis by installing a 10mm lower suspension and 19” wheels with greater offset for a wider track. Combined with remapped Electronic Damping Control and Dynamic Stability Control systems, the M3 with Competition Package is the best handling production M car ever built.
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2222
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 01-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Sky Keeper Sky Keeper is offline
Skxawng
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 457
Mein Auto: 335i E90 MT
thanks!
it seems like the only performance option worth taking is EDC... nice to know I can keep it below 60k, tax inc.
(M button is nice... but expensive for a controvercial benefit)
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-28-2010, 04:42 PM
TGray5's Avatar
TGray5 TGray5 is offline
Ultimate Driving Machine
Location: So. Calif.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,207
Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice View Post
I sure wish my 135 i had a bigger engine I love that car. The M 3 is what I am dreaming of but think it might be out of reach.
Put a juice box on your 135i and you'll have a mini-M3
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-28-2010, 05:26 PM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
Thanks for the update!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 02-01-2010, 10:31 AM
E92-Lighting's Avatar
E92-Lighting E92-Lighting is offline
info@e92-lighting.com
Location: Walnut CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,572
Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
M3
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 02-03-2010, 09:41 AM
suer suer is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 97
Mein Auto: 335
I was just looking at the 2010 wholesale ED prices. M3 sedan 47400, coupe 49965. 335is coupe 42480. If someone is paying cash, I can see them forking out an extra 5K for the M3, even if it's not the coupe.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 AM
thumper_330's Avatar
thumper_330 thumper_330 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: St. Louis, MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,373
Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by suer View Post
I was just looking at the 2010 wholesale ED prices. M3 sedan 47400, coupe 49965. 335is coupe 42480. If someone is paying cash, I can see them forking out an extra 5K for the M3, even if it's not the coupe.
+1. The M3 sedan is absolutely the best bang for the buck in this price range in my opinion. Of course, that and $2 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I think though if you're sold on the coupe then there's not going to be much in it between the 335is and M3, particularly for a $7K difference (which can be a tipping point for a lot of people). Myself, I'm on the fence but actually leaning toward a DCT-equipped 335iS because (a) I don't NEED four doors and (b) in my general around-town driving the monstrous torque of the 335iS is going to be more usable. An M3 is going to pull ahead of the iS, but probably only at super legal speeds.

Having said that, the M3 still has the advantage in appearance, the GORGEOUS engine and the absolutely stunning handling (which the RFT's on the 335 completely ruin).
__________________
2001 E46 BMW 330i Sport Package 6MT *SOLD*
2004 BMW R1150GS - *SOLD*
2004 E60 BMW 545i Sport 6MT - *SOLD*
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:26 AM
TGray5's Avatar
TGray5 TGray5 is offline
Ultimate Driving Machine
Location: So. Calif.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,207
Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
+1. The M3 sedan is absolutely the best bang for the buck in this price range in my opinion. Of course, that and $2 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I think though if you're sold on the coupe then there's not going to be much in it between the 335is and M3, particularly for a $7K difference (which can be a tipping point for a lot of people). Myself, I'm on the fence but actually leaning toward a DCT-equipped 335iS because (a) I don't NEED four doors and (b) in my general around-town driving the monstrous torque of the 335iS is going to be more usable. An M3 is going to pull ahead of the iS, but probably only at super legal speeds.

Having said that, the M3 still has the advantage in appearance, the GORGEOUS engine and the absolutely stunning handling (which the RFT's on the 335 completely ruin).
I'm in the same boat...I've already ditched the RFTs on my 335 so that's not a factor, but my lease is up soon and would love the M3 coupe, but for driving below 70 mph I'm really thinking the turbo engine is a better way to go...and I don't even have the IS model or a juice box on my car. But at the same time, the M3 has proven to be a much more reliable car...no HPFP issues, M3 looks better, has nicer interior, and handles better...at the expense of gas and insurance cost....bah, decisions!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 AM
TLudwig's Avatar
TLudwig TLudwig is offline
Stuck in Monday
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,767
Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
+1. The M3 sedan is absolutely the best bang for the buck in this price range in my opinion. Of course, that and $2 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I think though if you're sold on the coupe then there's not going to be much in it between the 335is and M3, particularly for a $7K difference (which can be a tipping point for a lot of people). Myself, I'm on the fence but actually leaning toward a DCT-equipped 335iS because (a) I don't NEED four doors and (b) in my general around-town driving the monstrous torque of the 335iS is going to be more usable. An M3 is going to pull ahead of the iS, but probably only at super legal speeds.

Having said that, the M3 still has the advantage in appearance, the GORGEOUS engine and the absolutely stunning handling (which the RFT's on the 335 completely ruin).
Lots of good points except for the bolded statement. Even though the M3 is down on torque at the crank compared to the 335is, thanks to the different gearing, it is still faster in a straight line than the 335is at ALL speeds. Your point is well taken that you will have to work the gears more in the M3 to get that superior performance, which may not be right for everyone, but the extra effort is almost nil if you get the M3 with DCT.
__________________
2009 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 (Sold)
2004 Silver Gray 330Ci ZHP (Sold)
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:54 AM
TGray5's Avatar
TGray5 TGray5 is offline
Ultimate Driving Machine
Location: So. Calif.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,207
Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLudwig View Post
Lots of good points except for the bolded statement. Even though the M3 is down on torque at the crank compared to the 335is, thanks to the different gearing, it is still faster in a straight line than the 335is at ALL speeds. Your point is well taken that you will have to work the gears more in the M3 to get that superior performance, which may not be right for everyone, but the extra effort is almost nil if you get the M3 with DCT.
Well, given that the 335is is not even out yet, how do we know that? I'd like to see something like 30-50mph and 50-70mph times for the M3 compared to the regular 335...does anyone have a source for that data? Sure for a full 0-60 run, the M3 might nose out the IS, but for day to day point and squirt driving, I really think the IS or a 335 with a tune will be faster and feel faster...but I don't have facts, I'm just judging from my driving impressions of both cars. I'd love to be proven wrong as that will simplify my buying decision and I can get an M3 with no more waffling
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 02-03-2010, 12:50 PM
TLudwig's Avatar
TLudwig TLudwig is offline
Stuck in Monday
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,767
Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
Well, given that the 335is is not even out yet, how do we know that? I'd like to see something like 30-50mph and 50-70mph times for the M3 compared to the regular 335...does anyone have a source for that data? Sure for a full 0-60 run, the M3 might nose out the IS, but for day to day point and squirt driving, I really think the IS or a 335 with a tune will be faster and feel faster...but I don't have facts, I'm just judging from my driving impressions of both cars. I'd love to be proven wrong as that will simplify my buying decision and I can get an M3 with no more waffling
I'd recommend a test drive of both, but it's going to be tough to find a dealer who will let you exceed the break-in rpms on an M3 demo (and you will likely not feel comfortable pushing the M3 anywhere near its limits during a 20-minute first drive), so a comparison like you suggest would be nice. Extrapolating from what we know about tuned 335i cars as compared to the M3, I'm fairly confident that the M3 will still be faster than the 335is in such real-world tests. It's simply a matter of getting the M3 into the top end of its rev range, which involves a very simple and fast click of a paddle shifter. The 6MT version of the M3 will certainly require a lot more work for the same performance, but it's a lot more rewarding at the same time.

Admittedly, the delta between the M3 and non-M series straight line performance has largely been negated with this generation, but that doesn't take away most of the reasons to buy an M3 if you can afford it. If you are ever in the Houston metro area, look me up for a test drive in my car. A couple of other "waffling" prospective buyers have been persuaded after driving my car around for awhile.
__________________
2009 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 (Sold)
2004 Silver Gray 330Ci ZHP (Sold)

Last edited by TLudwig; 02-03-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:02 PM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
The 2009 M3 I wanted was sold. Time to look for another...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Solidjake's Avatar
Solidjake Solidjake is offline
The one and only
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 17,674
Mein Auto: 2002 330i
OP, remember, a 335 with a JB3 will eat an M3
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:18 PM
TLudwig's Avatar
TLudwig TLudwig is offline
Stuck in Monday
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,767
Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
OP, remember, a 335 with a JB3 will eat a stock M3 in a straight line
Fixed.
__________________
2009 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 (Sold)
2004 Silver Gray 330Ci ZHP (Sold)
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:55 PM
TGray5's Avatar
TGray5 TGray5 is offline
Ultimate Driving Machine
Location: So. Calif.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,207
Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLudwig View Post
I'd recommend a test drive of both, but it's going to be tough to find a dealer who will let you exceed the break-in rpms on an M3 demo (and you will likely not feel comfortable pushing the M3 anywhere near its limits during a 20-minute first drive), so a comparison like you suggest would be nice. Extrapolating from what we know about tuned 335i cars as compared to the M3, I'm fairly confident that the M3 will still be faster than the 335is in such real-world tests. It's simply a matter of getting the M3 into the top end of its rev range, which involves a very simple and fast click of a paddle shifter. The 6MT version of the M3 will certainly require a lot more work for the same performance, but it's a lot more rewarding at the same time.

Admittedly, the delta between the M3 and non-M series straight line performance has largely been negated with this generation, but that doesn't take away most of the reasons to buy an M3 if you can afford it. If you are ever in the Houston metro area, look me up for a test drive in my car. A couple of other "waffling" prospective buyers have been persuaded after driving my car around for awhile.
I did have an opportunity for a spirited test drive on a used CPO M3 at a dealer..in fact the salesman insisted that I redline the car. I've owned numerous ///M cars and I have track experience, so I wasn't shy about testing the car...I never felt the M3 had more power than my 335 until I reached illegal speeds. I was disappointed in that aspect of the M3..however, everything else about the car blew me away..it is definitely a step up from the 335 in all other respects. I still may get the M3...the engine is fun, the sound is awesome, you can't beat the handling, the DCT shifted like lightning, etc. edit: oh and no HPFP issues to worry about ;-) Oh, and thanks for the offer of a test drive of your car, that is very generous!
__________________

Last edited by TGray5; 02-03-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 02-03-2010, 03:00 PM
TLudwig's Avatar
TLudwig TLudwig is offline
Stuck in Monday
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,767
Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
I did have an opportunity for a spirited test drive on a used CPO M3 at a dealer..in fact the salesman insisted that I redline the car. I've owned numerous ///M cars and I have track experience, so I wasn't shy about testing the car...I never felt the M3 had more power than my 335 until I reached illegal speeds. I was disappointed in that aspect of the M3..however, everything else about the car blew me away..it is definitely a step up from the 335 in all other respects. I still may get the M3...the engine is fun, the sound is awesome, you can't beat the handling, the DCT shifted like lightning, etc. edit: oh and no HPFP issues to worry about ;-) Oh, and thanks for the offer of a test drive of your car, that is very generous!
Glad to hear you were able to get the full experience in your test drive. In many situations, the 335 does feel like it has as much or more "thrust" (for lack of a better word), but the numbers show that, stock to stock, the M3 is in fact faster. The 335's acceleration also feels more effortless, which is both good and bad. I'm sure at times I sound like I'm drinking the M koolaid by the pitcher (although my mod list impliedly acknowledges the M's weaknesses), but you really can't go wrong either way unless you have very specific needs or wants.
__________________
2009 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 (Sold)
2004 Silver Gray 330Ci ZHP (Sold)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms