Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci
2004 X3 Power Windows and mirrors stopped working

I just finished replacing the ICV on this car today, (100,403 miles) had to wait a week for parts so car has sat in garage. Once i got everything back together i started car and the DSC light was on which i have read is common after battery disconnected. Drove car about 5 miles and came back turn off and restarted, DSC light went off
Todays new problem is all the power options have stop working (windows and miiror) sunroof still works, these were working fine before repair was made.
Here is my real problem, I use the key to roll window down by hold the unlock button, that worked, but none will roll back up.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
They won't roll back at all using the power window button from inside the car or its just one touch auto roll that's not working? If former, I would guess a lose connection somewhere since it's working with remote and if later then you just need to reinitialize the windows. All the way down, then all the way up and hold the power window button in up position for more than two seconds.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 01-14-2010, 11:58 AM

It appears that there is a lose connection to window switch or a break in the wiring, i can move harness coming into drivers door and get it to work, all other doors switchs are working so working on pulling door panel now. Have you seen any DIY on removing door panels?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 PM

There is one in the forum for sure, you will have to search a bit. Be very careful with vapor barrier when you take the door panel out, it may cause leaks inside the car if not done right.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4 2008 328xi
Have you tried using the key and holding it in the turned, lock position? That is the method for closing all windows and sunroof from the outside.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:14 PM

Here are the BMW instructions on removing door panel. Before you do so, did you check the power window switch on individual doors? If they all don't work then you know the problem is not the switches, but somewhere else where they all combine... most likely the central fuse box somewhere. Did you unplug wires in the fuse box under hood while replacing ICV?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf door_panel_removal.pdf (603.9 KB, 442 views)

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 01-14-2010, 01:00 PM

I only discoonted the MAF and ICV, talked to my wife and she says that power mirrors had been work on and on for a few weeks. Forgot to tell me!! I am able to Move wire at door fender whil;e holding down a switch and it does work. Must be bad connection at switch or worse a broken wire in harness.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Try this

I just last night had the same problem on the wife's Lexus whose battery had gone dead from sitting and whatever else for 2 weeks while in the body shop. Drivers window would go down from the switch at the drivers seat but that drivers seat control panel would not operate any other window. I went to each door and used the switch at that window to let down the whole way and then reclosed. This seemed to do a reset and afterwards they all responded to the multi window switch on the drivers door.

Try this on the X and see if it works. There must be a reset procedure that someone must know about.

The sunroof took some fiddling with and I am not sure what I did to restore its functionality. Don't forget to try it as well.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:32 AM

The problem is the master switch in the drivers door is bad. I am ordering part today, anybody no where this is listed on Realoem.com under x3, I do not seem to be able to find the diaghram that show the switch, only see interior trim.